SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:07 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot View Post
I made the wrong motor choice. With props off and motors running, it goes over 100 into the 20's. I guess ya gets what ya pay for.

Looking for 6 good motors.
Do you have either an iPhone or an Android phone with accelerometer?

I use the iPhone app called Vibration ($4 in the store) to dynamically balance my motor bells.

At first it will take longer to get used to it. Now, after probably the 30th motor, 5 minutes is most I spend with one.

The list of tools is: the smartphone, the app, scissors, good quality electrical insulation tape (I use 3M) and a marker. Optionally a vise. A fully assembled and working multicopter, with TX, RX and a charged LiPo pack.

Take off all props. Unplug all ESC connectors from the FC. Unplug throttle channel from RX. If using a vise, clamp one multicopter arm into it and work on the other motors. Use the marker to draw a reference line, dot, whatever on each motor. Connect one motor to the throttle channel on the RX, connect LiPo to multicopter. Place phone on top of FC, start the app, slowly rev the motor up and down and look at the graphs. Memorize the maximum values on X, Y and Z.
Now cut a 1 cm length of tape and stick it to the bell at a random position. Re-run the procedure above and see if there's improvement. Move the tape around the bell until there is. Cut a 2-nd strip and attach it half-way to the right of the first. If no improvement, try half-way left. So on, so forth.

On the motors I use, 2 tape strips are enough. Most of the time they are overlapping or ontop of each other. Only once a 3rd strip helped, but the motor was horribly imbalanced. Some do OK with just one strip.

I didn't check what iPhone's Vibrate uses as measuring unit, but any value above 0.18 asks for some more tinkering.

Good luck.
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Good post The Para, I just assumed that everybody balanced their motors this way.

How to use an iPhone app to balance your motors (1 min 46 sec)

TBS Discovery build EP8 TBS Enginge balance - 20121013 (11 min 50 sec)

Motor Balancing (2 min 16 sec)
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Last edited by nebstress; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
Do you have either an iPhone or an Android phone with accelerometer?

I use the iPhone app called Vibration ($4 in the store) to dynamically balance my motor bells.

At first it will take longer to get used to it. Now, after probably the 30th motor, 5 minutes is most I spend with one.

The list of tools is: the smartphone, the app, scissors, good quality electrical insulation tape (I use 3M) and a marker. Optionally a vise. A fully assembled and working multicopter, with TX, RX and a charged LiPo pack.

Take off all props. Unplug all ESC connectors from the FC. Unplug throttle channel from RX. If using a vise, clamp one multicopter arm into it and work on the other motors. Use the marker to draw a reference line, dot, whatever on each motor. Connect one motor to the throttle channel on the RX, connect LiPo to multicopter. Place phone on top of FC, start the app, slowly rev the motor up and down and look at the graphs. Memorize the maximum values on X, Y and Z.
Now cut a 1 cm length of tape and stick it to the bell at a random position. Re-run the procedure above and see if there's improvement. Move the tape around the bell until there is. Cut a 2-nd strip and attach it half-way to the right of the first. If no improvement, try half-way left. So on, so forth.

On the motors I use, 2 tape strips are enough. Most of the time they are overlapping or ontop of each other. Only once a 3rd strip helped, but the motor was horribly imbalanced. Some do OK with just one strip.

I didn't check what iPhone's Vibrate uses as measuring unit, but any value above 0.18 asks for some more tinkering.

Good luck.
Awesome information. I'm on it. Embarrassed to say I've never balanced a motor. Here we go...
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
271 Posts
Good info, but man can view vibration graph (gyro datas) also with the free Jacked rabbit config tool. I only have to make a grid in photoshop, save as a picture and place the live gyro graph on top of that. simple
only if rabbit can power up motors individually, i dont need to open cables always while setting motors...
vili is offline Find More Posts by vili
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
52 Posts
Hello

I finally got around to fly my Rabbit based Quad 1.220 firm (H.A.L. frame almost 650 mm between engines) with sonar, GPS and GPS shield like MK's one from flyduino.

The first time around everything went more or lest OK no problems whatsoever flying in manual mode… the problems begin as soon as I ask it to hold altitude…it simply doesn't, it starts hoping up and down more or less 2- 4 meters (And yes I have a sponge over the baro)… the problem disappears as soon as I go down to sonar height, there it stays put…

Second problem as I ask it to come back home and land on its own (9 sats on taking off in less than a minute wait, thanks to the shield I guess) it does come back way to fast, so fast it over shoots way over and then violently corrects and flies back home. From there it simply drops like a nut not having enough time to slow down before landing/crashing against the ground… This again does not happen on sonar height… at sonar heigh it works like a dream…

Anybody can tell me what the problem is… can't seem to find the right combo to make it work correctly…and its already cost me two landing gears…

Diafragma1939 is offline Find More Posts by Diafragma1939
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
For the Height Lock it sounds like you need to adjust the Aux_H_Lock & HeightStability gain or/& use a piece of foam instead of sponge over the Baro.

For GoHome try lowering "Speed of GoHome" & make sure not to use GoHome & AutoLand activated at the same time on the same switch.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:16 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
803 Posts
One question nebstress,im using useing a 3 position switch,position 0= nothing,position 1= RTH and position 3=auto land,but all are independant is that o/k,thanks,Marty.

by the way love my rabbit
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
One question nebstress,im using useing a 3 position switch,position 0= nothing,position 1= RTH and position 3=auto land,but all are independant is that o/k,thanks,Marty.

by the way love my rabbit

Yes that's fine, but I'm a bit worried about all this Rabbit loving, I prefer lovin' lady's
I meant RTH & AutoLand don't work well together when on the same switch position.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
For the Height Lock it sounds like you need to adjust the Aux_H_Lock & HeightStability gain or/& use a piece of foam instead of sponge over the Baro.

For GoHome try lowering "Speed of GoHome" & make sure not to use GoHome & AutoLand activated at the same time on the same switch.
Hello

What type of foam ?… close cell (isolation type) is all I have at hand… anywhere were I can buy the right one…?

I have GoHome and AutoLand on the same switch and it works like a charm at sonar high, plus the first 5 times I tried at baro height (I have the old baro type) it also worked Ok it changed after that without touching any of the settings… thats why I don't get it…

"Hasta luego"
Thanks in advance…

Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diafragma1939 View Post
Hello

What type of foam ?… close cell (isolation type) is all I have at hand… anywhere were I can buy the right one…?

I have GoHome and AutoLand on the same switch and it works like a charm at sonar high, plus the first 5 times I tried at baro height (I have the old baro type) it also worked Ok it changed after that without touching any of the settings… thats why I don't get it…

"Hasta luego"
Thanks in advance…

I don't know then that is strange, if it was working well & then all of a sudden not something must have changed!?

For the Baro, you don't want to completely block it off it needs to be able to read the air pressure just cover it with something that will stop any wind, prop wash etc from getting to it, foam used in fish tank filters is good or something similar, I'm sure you will have something you can use lying around.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:47 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2010
803 Posts
love my controller,lol,cant wait for Ican,s next upgrade,Marty.
NEAGRON is offline Find More Posts by NEAGRON
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Aug 2004
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diafragma1939 View Post
Hello

I finally got around to fly my Rabbit based Quad 1.220 firm (H.A.L. frame almost 650 mm between engines) with sonar, GPS and GPS shield like MK's one from flyduino.

The first time around everything went more or lest OK no problems whatsoever flying in manual mode… the problems begin as soon as I ask it to hold altitude…it simply doesn't, it starts hoping up and down more or less 2- 4 meters (And yes I have a sponge over the baro)… the problem disappears as soon as I go down to sonar height, there it stays put…

Second problem as I ask it to come back home and land on its own (9 sats on taking off in less than a minute wait, thanks to the shield I guess) it does come back way to fast, so fast it over shoots way over and then violently corrects and flies back home. From there it simply drops like a nut not having enough time to slow down before landing/crashing against the ground… This again does not happen on sonar height… at sonar heigh it works like a dream…

Anybody can tell me what the problem is… can't seem to find the right combo to make it work correctly…and its already cost me two landing gears…

Hi

I suggest you to post a screen capture of your gui setting so that we have more information to analyse.

Formosa
Formosa is offline Find More Posts by Formosa
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa View Post
Hi

I suggest you to post a screen capture of your gui setting so that we have more information to analyse.

Formosa
Hello

Here are a few screen grabs of my settings…

And thanks
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:30 PM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Hi what is your weird setup, try this way.
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua6jhm View Post
Hi what is your weird setup, try this way.
Hello

...must be me but it makes no sense to me whatsoever, how come you have heightLock and HeadLock in up to four different places one of them in conjuntion with autoland...?