HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:37 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
We can control Super Simple Gimbal with Rabbit?
sebior is offline Find More Posts by sebior
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:03 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebior View Post
We can control Super Simple Gimbal with Rabbit?
I would think so using a v-tail mixer but note that cheap mixers (like hobbywing and from hobbyking) are only 200 steps and really jittery. Unless elevon\v-tail mixing was added to Rabbit camera stabilization in future firmware, I'd recommend a decent 4000+ step mixer from Digimix or Dionysus Design.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined May 2006
819 Posts
Hex6X completed

Hello. It has been a while since I've posted in this thread. My Ifly4 with Rabbit has been flying well, although since I've been flying the F450 with NAza and GPS, it has not seen as much flight time lately.

However, I just today completed a F550 frame Hex build using the Rabbit controller and GPS, A20-22L motors, Maytech 20A esc's and some odd 10x4.5 props I had laying around-balanced and good.

Had to re-read some info here on the forum, but happy to report that initial hovering tests have been completed successfully.

Question about the new GUI (December-12 version) and GPS. My longitude indicates correct, but the latitude indicates .090...... which is clearly wrong. Not sure if this will create a problem, or if there is something I need to adjust. - I'm in New Jersey.

The LED's indicate 4 or more even when Im hovering in my backyard so I am receiving a good number of satellites and the red LED on the GPS chip is glowing red.

I like the latest GUI. Quite an improvement! I still love this board!

Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined May 2006
819 Posts
Anyone else flying a Hex with this board?

Ok, after 5 flights today at the field, I could use some advice. Anyone else flying the F550 frame or similar Hexacopter that can recommend some settings? This thing was a squirrel all day, twitchy and not very stable.

I calibrated the compass several times before a few of the flights. Gps hold forget it right now .... It would hold heading and altitude below two meters. Above was very squirrely... Need to do the foam over the baro routine...
And some general tweaking.

Anyone with a good settings list? I'm using the latest software and GUI . Thanks
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:14 PM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Изображение 046 (2 min 17 sec)
Small test position holding, return home and auto landing.
ua6jhm is online now Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Main why bad rabbit flying that influence power wires on the compass! Lift the rabbit up the wires that go to the regulators. I advise at least 7-8 inches.
ua6jhm is online now Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot View Post
Ok, after 5 flights today at the field, I could use some advice. Anyone else flying the F550 frame or similar Hexacopter that can recommend some settings? This thing was a squirrel all day, twitchy and not very stable.

I calibrated the compass several times before a few of the flights. Gps hold forget it right now .... It would hold heading and altitude below two meters. Above was very squirrely... Need to do the foam over the baro routine...

Anyone with a good settings list? I'm using the latest software and GUI . Thanks
The default settings for you size copter should work well as 550 is right in the middle.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Hi Ken, check the "health" value in the Rabbit GUI for vibration levels (with motors+props running at least at hover speed). The best part about the Rabbit is how well it (typically) flies on stock settings, so I would suspect something else going on with your setup.

Foam over baro is absolutely required. Even if using a dome, direct sunlight can affect the sensor dramatically.

-Max
maximal is online now Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined May 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
Hi Ken, check the "health" value in the Rabbit GUI for vibration levels (with motors+props running at least at hover speed). The best part about the Rabbit is how well it (typically) flies on stock settings, so I would suspect something else going on with your setup.

Foam over baro is absolutely required. Even if using a dome, direct sunlight can affect the sensor dramatically.

-Max
Thanks Max. What is an acceptable health number, low or high number better?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2004
304 Posts
Quote:

Hi

Are you saying that you did not cover the baro with foam?

You need to cover it with foam and better add a cover to block the light as well.

Formosa.
Formosa is offline Find More Posts by Formosa
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:14 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Max. What is an acceptable health number, low or high number better?
Lower is better. Last time I checked (a couple versions ago), mine was under 10 (8 IIRC) and it flew great.

-Max
maximal is online now Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:47 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Mauvezin
Joined Sep 2004
134 Posts
Hi all
How do you reverse the gimbal nick or roll with the latest firmware (1.23)? I can't enter negative numbers....
JiGe is offline Find More Posts by JiGe
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined May 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximal View Post
Lower is better. Last time I checked (a couple versions ago), mine was under 10 (8 IIRC) and it flew great.

-Max
Geez, mine says 58. I'm looking for documentation on the health number,what does it look at?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Geez, mine says 58. I'm looking for documentation on the health number,what does it look at?
Vibration.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined May 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
Vibration.
I made the wrong motor choice. With props off and motors running, it goes over 100 into the 20's. I guess ya gets what ya pay for.

Looking for 6 good motors.