HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
Madisonville, Ky, USA
Joined Nov 2009
63 Posts
I finally had success with my precision baro rabbit board. It was first mounted on a 650 CF quad and PH and RTH never worked at all, my gps was ok. Moved to a wooden spider quad and now it works as advertised, finally! I wonder if something on the CF quad was causing interference with gps function ???? I have a naza, aiop and apm2. The naza feels stiff in atti and gps modes but stable. The gps PH is perfect, almost no movement in calm air.The aiop and apm2 work good when tuned. For a noob I still think the rabbit is a good board, very stable but nimble. It is a shame the marketing and support are so unorthodox. I do appreciate all the forum members who offer help and contribute their time.
hamradioflyer is offline Find More Posts by hamradioflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
True story: the guys at FrSky were looking at the multicopter market and started asking questions about multirotor electronics, as they wanted a share of the market. Then one levelheaded guy asked them " do you guys have a couple of mathematicians and a physics engineer to back your programmers and electronic design teams, because any FC is as good as the backing team work is ?" And they said "no" and kept out of the picture.

I don't see why is there a fuss about CH8. Even CH7 is mostly redundant. The Rabbit as a FC is mostly dead. Granted, there's a price advantage over a Naza, and it's probably more forgiving of newbies then say MultiWii or Arducopter, but once you get over a certain multicopter knowledge threshold, it's simply nonexistant.

It lacks in so many advanced features, like telemetry, remote access and pre-programmed navigation. Functions depending on mag and gps are a coin's toss to get right or wrong. Yet users - like me - are hanging on promises of a bright future, when there are no real advances since... june !?

It really is no more then a friendlier KK controller, and you get no onboard LCD to adjust stuff
Let's face it. The Rabbit is dead. You get way better FCs for less and with better support. You can have CH8 working on both Arduflyer 2.5 and Crius AIOP, and if you get into trouble, stuff is open-source so you can troubleshoot it.
I agree with you about the CH8 issue but have to strongly disagree that the Rabbit is dead.
Not every Flight Controller has to have & not everyone wants all the fancy features, I for one like actually flying my copters myself using my thumbs its allot more fun than staring at a computer screen & then watching the copter fly around by itself.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:24 AM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Happy New Year!! Good luck and happiness!
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:03 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
354 Posts
Happy New Year! and good landings, for my rabbit is fine, I have friends who bought CRIUS over a year ago and still putting it at point, a year ago I bought the rabbit and after two weeks I was flying, I think anyway open source can be better.
On the other side I do not like the old 16 MHz 8-bit processors. but if I see there a 16 or 32-bit dsp open I would try, we hear suggestions
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:01 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
I agree with you about the CH8 issue but have to strongly disagree that the Rabbit is dead.
Not every Flight Controller has to have & not everyone wants all the fancy features, I for one like actually flying my copters myself using my thumbs its allot more fun than staring at a computer screen & then watching the copter fly around by itself.
True, if this thread was about a $30 FC. But last I looked, the MS5611 Rabbit is a $100 piece of equipment. $150 if you want the kit with GPS. That's the same price as RCTimer's Arduflyer 2.5 UAV package, with that excellent CN-06v2 GPS unit and a pair of telemetry radios.
Or shall I compare the price with the $35 HK AIOP board !? I know it has the wrong transistor on the ext-power line, but still, it works OK powered from the output rail.

Oh, and I'd run optimized feature-rich 8-bit code any day instead of 32-bit chinese garbage
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:06 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
True, if this thread was about a $30 FC. But last I looked, the MS5611 Rabbit is a $100 piece of equipment. $150 if you want the kit with GPS. That's the same price as RCTimer's Arduflyer 2.5 UAV package, with that excellent CN-06v2 GPS unit and a pair of telemetry radios.
Or shall I compare the price with the $35 HK AIOP board !? I know it has the wrong transistor on the ext-power line, but still, it works OK powered from the output rail.

Oh, and I'd run optimized feature-rich 8-bit code any day instead of 32-bit chinese garbage
hmmm .... I have my serious doubts that an antique 16Mips 8 bits, can compete with 32bit to 50 Mips, when Kalman filter update, or quaternion plus refresh I2c bus GPS altimeter telemetry, etc etc, for more optimized code
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:57 AM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
What means the value "Healthy" in the Rabbit tools?
sebior is offline Find More Posts by sebior
Last edited by sebior; Jan 02, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
The "health" value is essentially a vibration level indicator. The more vibrations reaching the flight controller, the higher that number will be. I'm not sure what the actual scale/value is, but values under 10 (with motors running at least at hover speed) seemed to be good, last time I checked. This can also be useful as a baseline, for example to check for bearings wearing out or components getting loose over time.

Happy new year to all!
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:47 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
thanks
sebior is offline Find More Posts by sebior
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:17 AM
Germany, SL, Saarbrücken
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ican View Post
If your Barometer is 5611, the board must update the LDROM with new bootloader program.

if you bought the board form our net store:http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/611060

the new bootloader program has been update into it ,so you can not worry it
Hello Ican,
i think the "old-board with new 5611" problem is an "sales-gag".

The Cortex-LDROM should JTAG, SWD or ISP programmable.
LF can post this small pice of LDROM (4k bytes) and the programming instructions for experienced users.
rolsch is offline Find More Posts by rolsch
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
269 Posts
The new baro is far better than the old, or not so much?

Can somebody say an example?

Like:
in zero wind with old baro my quad change altitude 2-3m while height lock,
but with new baro it's no more than 1m?

thx
vili is offline Find More Posts by vili
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:09 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
With the new its like naza !
ViperAT is offline Find More Posts by ViperAT
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Aug 2004
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post
The new baro is far better than the old, or not so much?

Can somebody say an example?

Like:
in zero wind with old baro my quad change altitude 2-3m while height lock,
but with new baro it's no more than 1m?

thx

Less than 1 meter under strong wind in my case, in PH & RTH mode.

The new Baro is significantly better than the old one, if you are buying the FC, it is no brainer, you will regret if you didn't buy the new Baro.

Formosa
Formosa is online now Find More Posts by Formosa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:02 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formosa View Post
Less than 1 meter under strong wind in my case, in PH & RTH mode.

The new Baro is significantly better than the old one, if you are buying the FC, it is no brainer, you will regret if you didn't buy the new Baro.

Formosa
Agreed!!
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:45 AM
North Ossetia - Alania
Joined Apr 2012
110 Posts
Add video, keep a level and hold positions with the new baro plus auto landing. Apologies for the quality of the video from the phone
Тест удержание высоты и позиции (1 min 14 sec)
ua6jhm is offline Find More Posts by ua6jhm