HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I'm posting my results in a video I just did. I believe the answer is dual ubec's.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post
You have to look at the current draw of the Rabbit fc, as well as your rx. (the amps, not just the voltage)

Most esc's supply what, 1-3amps. Sonar , when it pings, would probably draw ALOT from the source power supply. Especially if you want to add some servos to the mix for ptz camera and anything else you want. You want to avoid brownouts, which is what happens when your system doesn't get enough juice when it needs it. Give it more than it needs, and you'll be fine.

I use a 7amp ubec, and have had no issues what so ever since day one. Go big, or go home.
I hear you on tha amp/volt issue. All I have now is a 15 amp Turnigy UBEC so it's a bit heavy for the application. How is that for going big! Thanks for your input.
emicroengine is offline Find More Posts by emicroengine
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Here's the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRPw5...ature=youtu.be
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Thanks Randall...next, can you show us how you navigate through those power lines! Just kidding! Lol
emicroengine is offline Find More Posts by emicroengine
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
It only looks like I'm going through them I have the ubec on the rabbit set to 5 volts and the one on the receiver set to 6 volts. Mine have a jumper you can change and since the receiver can run up to 6 volts that's what I decided to use on it. I have these ubec's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120753508902...84.m1497.l2649
My next thing will be to upgrade to the newest firmware.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emicroengine View Post
Hi cmPang,
I am using Mystery 30A ESC's with 330 Hz setting. I went up with the Hz setting but my ESC's could not handle it. I went down with the Hz and the performance of the FC suffered. My problem seems to improve when I disconnect the Sonar. I purchased five sonar sensors, two red with five pins, one blue with five pins and two blue with four pins. The two blue four pin (HC-SR04) sonar modules are the only ones that seem to work with the Rabbet. I think Randall is on to something with the voltage drop which we all know is not a friendly situation for the DSM2 receivers. Thanks for your help, I will keep everyone posted when I get back from a business trip in a few days.
for sure only the blue 4-pin sonar is the proper one for Rabbit.. forget the others... even then, bad individual sonar modules are not uncommon...

cmPang
cmpang is offline Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Hi Randall,

I think we should appreciate what you have found out to solve the problem... a bit strange, dual bec that I must admit never heard of that in our plane experience.. may be it is the multi-rotor that is special...

anyway, how cares as long as it works..

thanks..

cmPang
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
At least now I know I have completely clean, constant power to both the FC and the RX. There are no weak links with this way of powering things.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
At least now I know I have completely clean, constant power to both the FC and the RX. There are no weak links with this way of powering things.
agree...

right now, I am totally rely on the ESC power on all of my four multi-rotots without any problem, nevertheles, I am thinking of adding at least one external bec just to be on the safe side...

cmPang
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I have a quad I call the "HRQ" and it has no ubec but it also has smaller motors and props and it's lighter so maybe it doesn't drain the power from the receiver quite like my heavier quad does.
This thing takes off like a freight train.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IqnqeAU3eY
In fact, the ubec I put on my Rabbit quad was meant for this one to see if it flies any smoother.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I just reflashed my FC with the latest firmware and it does hold height much better I just wish I had more switches to actuate GPS and all the other stuff. I need 2 more channels. I'm flying with 7 but I use 5 and 6 to operate a shutter and tilt mount. I'm using 7 to operate height hold. Oh well you can't have it all
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:14 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
I just reflashed my FC with the latest firmware and it does hold height much better I just wish I had more switches to actuate GPS and all the other stuff. I need 2 more channels. I'm flying with 7 but I use 5 and 6 to operate a shutter and tilt mount. I'm using 7 to operate height hold. Oh well you can't have it all
Hi Randall,

could you do us a big favour... please repeat what you have done in the video but this time:

1. one bec only'
2. disconnect the sonar

just to see if there is any chance that it is the sonar that messing things up..

cmPang
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2011
167 Posts
This has got to be the most helpful, friendly, informative thread I have come across. I can't wait to get my rabbit flying.
Thanks again all.
furnibird is offline Find More Posts by furnibird
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:29 AM
Philippines, NCR, QC
Joined Dec 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
Hi larry,
I am pleased that you've got it sorted now
As for the Red wires from the ESC's, there are several different thoughts about this but the consensus seems to be to only connect one, personally I don't connect any of them & use a separate UBEC connected to a spare motor connection on the Rabbit (you could plug it into the Battery port on your Receiver).
With the Receiver, I just use a signal wire for all except the Throttle which has the red & Black wire connected as well to provide power to it.
Again, I hope this helps.
Beautifull reply nebstress, now that things are a bit sorted out, i guess more flying and a possible inclusion of one or two ubecs could be next in line. will be installing a gimbal with two axis which means more amp draw on the system so i better be ready for that too!

Appreciate the reply and the contributions so many have worked for.
larry
larryf8 is offline Find More Posts by larryf8
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:40 AM
Gods not dead!
McMinnville OR
Joined Feb 2004
336 Posts
so is the rabbit a good fc
lov2fly is offline Find More Posts by lov2fly