HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Donīt worry a few months ago when I started using the rabbit same happened to me, blue lead went into flames. Since that that board has changed 3 frames and is actually sitting in my big ConHexo, fortunately no damage was taken to the board.

Now iīve got 3 boards and did not use the balance plug on any of them
Thanks for the hope. The board may have survived.

After having read the first third of this topic, I have a great respect for gurus here - Timecop - and others. I love this stuff, but my time available is prohibitive and perhaps Need to stick with my ARDrone and call it a day.

Gonna need to dig out my old PC - long ago switched to Apple.

Also should have paid more attention in Chinese class.
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:37 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone View Post
Hi cmpang....does this by chance resolve the problem with the FW 1.201 losing settings when connecting either battery or USB?? Did you get a reply from the developers about the problem?

I have gone back to FW 1.101 and went through the same process as I did for 1.201 and did not get any problem losing settings.

I will load FW1.202 and thoroughly test with props off and only on a USB to see if it retains the settings.

Rob
Rob,

I've talked to them in length and to be frankly, they do not have any idea on your issue. May be an intermitten memory?
My personal suggestion is try to upgrade to the 1.202, and as you have said, take off all the props and thoroughly test it before using ..
Having said that, the potential fully throttle on behaviour of your ESC makes me a bit uncomfortable ...
sorry that I can't help much..

cmPang
cmpang is online now Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:51 AM
Ukraine, Kiev City, Kiev
Joined Mar 2011
87 Posts
GoPro costs $ 250, Rabbit FC ~ $ 100, GPS ~ $ 50 and others $ 100. Therefore, everyone who fly FPV should be able to find a model for $ 500 in crash case.
For this important to know the latest GPS coordinates.

Very popular addition that allows real-time monitor RSSI, LiPo and displays latest GPS coordinates:
$ 21 - "FrSky FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ay_Screen.html

But in multicopter you need to add:
$15 - "FrSky FSH-01 Telemetry Sensor Hub" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...nsor_Hub_.html
$38 - "FrSky GPS-01 Telemetry GPS Module" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...PS_Module.html
This added in multicopter price $ 53 + postage.
But I do not like idea of carry on board two GPS receiver.

Today I found point inside receiver "FrSky D8R-II", which is Rx telemetry input pin with TTL level, that allows you to connect TTL equipment, without additional TTL-> RS232 converter.
Tomorrow I'll do a full test for this interface.

So with Y-cable is possible to transfer NMEA GPS coordinates:
-----------------------------------------------------
Rabbit GPS Тх output (NMEA, 5Hz, 38400 (for example))
|
V
hardware serial input Rx "Arduino Nano"
software serial output Tx "Arduino Nano" (GPS in "Frame Protocol of FrSky Telemetry Hub System", 1Hz, 9600)
|
V
Rx TTL input "FrSky D8R-II" receiver
-----------------------------------------------------
In this case, users will receive GPS coordinates for multicopter finding, without investing in additional GPS Module, and also save on weight and volume of equipment.
I do not know if there are now similar projects on "Arduino". If you know about project for "Arduino" with transform GPS NMEA in "Frame Protocol of FrSky Telemetry Hub System" - please share the link.
There is an alternative idea for Rabbit FC developers to use one of the many decorative LED output pin on Rabbit FC as a software serial output port (GPS in "Frame Protocol of FrSky Telemetry Hub System", 1Hz, 9600), in this case in "Rabbit FC" features list can be added point "FrSky Telemetry compatible," but for some technical reason, I think it's almost unbelievable.
Gor.Alone is offline Find More Posts by Gor.Alone
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpang View Post
Rob,

I've talked to them in length and to be frankly, they do not have any idea on your issue. May be an intermitten memory?
My personal suggestion is try to upgrade to the 1.202, and as you have said, take off all the props and thoroughly test it before using ..
Having said that, the potential fully throttle on behaviour of your ESC makes me a bit uncomfortable ...
sorry that I can't help much..

cmPang
It was only full throttle because it changed the settings from 500hz to the standard 330Hz and reverted all other settings back to when the FW was flashed.

Anyway, I have gone through about 20 USB connections so far, and all settings remain as changed, so this version looks stable. I am going to do another 10 before I even think of putting blades on and connecting a battery

Hand still hurting. Looks like a cat with large claws got hold of me. I am going to have to figure out a way to restrain the closest blade while connecting the battery.

Actually, it was quite funny yesterday. When the battery was connected and my hand got caught in the blade, my biggest fear was that I was going to have a fly away, and I did not want to lose my new Gopro 2, so I used my left hand to hold down on the centre of the FC while I thought about how to disconnect the battery. Eventually I managed to get it done.

Rob
robone is offline Find More Posts by robone
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,359 Posts
Quote:
...., my biggest fear was that I was going to have a fly away, and I did not want to lose my new Gopro 2, so I used my left hand to hold down on the centre of the FC ....

Rob
so it was a good test of how you valve your hand against the Gopro...

There was a saying that a wife test how her hudsband loves her is to jump into the sea with hudsband's beloved camera to see if he saves his wife or camera first.....

anyway, fly safe and have fun...

cmPang
cmpang is online now Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:08 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Google translation from FW1202 PDF file for GPS:

A key to return to flight control, flight control is properly connected, the GPS function is selected and receives a valid signal, remember the unlocked position.Flight control return switch off after leaving the unlock points to open a key flight control will automatically control the direction of flight to fly back to the takeoff point over the return process height can be controlled by the throttle, and still have throttle loose rod to set the high-functioning, but pneumatic set high on the throttle is particularly sensitive, fine adjust the throttle to play pole is not too much. If you choose to return after the automatic landing and return to the take-off point 20 meters range, the automatic landing.
Automatic landing flight control set of high-functioning and open, open the automatic landing switch to automatic landing from a height 2 m above the barometer support the landing, about two meters from the ultrasonic support landing. If an emergency situation, can still use the throttle, and just pushed or reduce the height automatically after landing will continue. Automatic landing and return to set up a switch in the same position, so that the flight control returns to the take-off from the unlock location (home) within 20 meters will first hover 20 seconds, and then start the automatic landing.
Pine pole pointing hover open in normal working hours of the rabbit GPS fixed-point function of the pine pole, at any time to stop operating the remote control aileron and elevator joystick flight control will automatically over its current location, and play the rudder suddenly stopped rod, the aircraft may be movement in the opposite direction, if you want a more accurate fixed-point, minor revisions after the stop lever into the fixed-point, the horizontal position and height position can be adjusted. Open at the same time a key return function, a key priority of return function.
Star Search using the field:
GPS in order to accurately fixed, must be used in open locations, buildings and other buildings blocked, even if the star search positioning will lead to a wide range of mobile flight control is unstable. Outside the field of power, flight control run show marquees into the self-test, self-reference flight control instructions,
almtmd is offline Find More Posts by almtmd
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:31 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,955 Posts
How difficult is this board to get setup for basic stable flight for someone new to multirotors (tri for now).
Thanks
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
Spain, CN
Joined Dec 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot View Post

Gonna need to dig out my old PC - long ago switched to Apple.

Why donīt you simply install vmware or parallels on you mac? I do all my setups with two virtual machines (XP and W7) on a macbook pro and it works just fine.
apejovic is offline Find More Posts by apejovic
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:47 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco67 View Post
Thanks cmpang for this!
I can confirm, with this one the firmware update on my Rabbit (V1.102) work fine!
Now i've 1.202 installed... :P
Same here... After all the trials and tribulations trying to install any other firmware, this one installed without problems.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apejovic View Post
Why donīt you simply install vmware or parallels on you mac? I do all my setups with two virtual machines (XP and W7) on a macbook pro and it works just fine.
Thank you. That's a great idea and I will look into that.

Been staring at this thing for an hour. Right now I have an expensive LED display and a beeping device...and that's about all.

Lol.
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnimRod View Post
Same here... After all the trials and tribulations trying to install any other firmware, this one installed without problems.
Yep...This one (1.202) installed without any problems too. And I have run through the same testing that I did on the 1.201 and could not repeat the resetting problem. So, I am happy so far. Now to test in the field.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
How difficult is this board to get setup for basic stable flight for someone new to multirotors (tri for now).
Thanks
Once you get around the manual, which I mostly ignored, it is quite easy.

I am getting a new Rabbit, maybe it will arrive tomorrow, and then I will record each process as to how I set it up.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I'm glad I never went beyond the pc tool that cmpang posted on #376. It seems that's where the trouble started. Granted, I'm not into the GPS, and some of the other stuff others of you are into. I just wanted something that was stable, flew smoothly, and had good control. And I'm getting all that so I'm very happy with it. My only gripe is that I feel the manual could do a much better job of explaining how the different functions work and what the different menu choices in the GUI actually control.
That's not a big issue for me but it could be for a beginner.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
My only gripe is that I feel the manual could do a much better job of explaining how the different functions work and what the different menu choices in the GUI actually control.
That's not a big issue for me but it could be for a beginner.
Agreed.. It would be real nice to have an explanation for all the GUI parameters.. It would mark a shift from an experimental prototype to a real end-user product IMO.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Once you get around the manual, which I mostly ignored, it is quite easy.

I am getting a new Rabbit, maybe it will arrive tomorrow, and then I will record each process as to how I set it up.
That would be great. I just want a step up from the HK KK board which does not have the option to self level (acc sensors?) in an emergency - such as temporary video drop out in FPV.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy