HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
I'll be watching you ...
Germany, Berlin
Joined Mar 2012
42 Posts
Hi leowie, in my opinion its a nogo to fly a gps position hold without autostability on.
Only with damping mode (normal or 3d) its impossible for the rabbit to fly any higher functionality like position hold or return to home. But maybe the programmers gives the position hold and return to home a own autostab routine. In this case we don't have to wonder why it dont works fine and both routines fight each other.
Airpac is offline Find More Posts by Airpac
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
Propellerhead
Joined Dec 2008
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpang View Post
Hi,

can you tell us more on how the GPS hold/home fights against auto levelling..? there is some similiar discussions on the Chinese forums and we like to know more...

cmPang
Hi,
I try to give some details:

the mission was to take fotos inner-city or park starting unter trees or buildings.

The wind was about 30 km/h or more; the weaher forecast says "strong or stormy winds in Vienna...".

Typically I start and hover near the ground (in the wind shadow) for some seconds after starting, heading to the target and lock gps.
(GPS is on my main 3way switch: off, hold, home, all with auto level togled on, pic attached, I'm used to it have no stress to find this switch blind and anytime).
When everything is fine + leveled, I climb up.

While climbing (higher than trees or buildings) the strong wind comes from one side. The copter drifts to one side. Then it looks like GPS startts to work about every 2(?) seconds and does a try to correct the position to bring the copter back where the GPS hold point is. Then to me it looks like GPS has a break(1 or 2 seconds ?) and auto leveling tries to bring back the copter to horizintally and so the copter again drifts with the wind ... and so on every about 2 seconds (not much movenemt to see ... so maybe I am wrong ... the wind was not laminar ...) ... and as the wind was strong the copter wanted to drift away. What I am very sure is, that without GPS hold the copter would have been very far away in the meantime.
Also this situation was not critical to me ... It looked like all systems work fine, but in this scenario simply the wind is the winner ... ans if I remember right also in your manual you write, that using auto-leveling is not the best idea at strong winds.

What I did in the situation is to "help" GPS a little with elev + aileron. Once the copter was a littee too far away and I switched GPS hold + home off. So I could feel, that there was a lot of GPS work before ... but not strong enough for this wind.

So for me this is no bug. It's just customizing for the own needs.
The only idea I have on this is, that dependent from the distance away from the GPS hold point it maybe reduces leveling or switsches off leveling limited to 30 degrees or something like this(?).
But maybe this is to complicated.
I'l simply try Home without level and compare with hold with level (in my missions often hold + home this is almost the same point).

~~~ edit ~~~
"new" now is on v1.208

~~~ edit 2 ~~~
As there is no more strong wind here , Airpac recommended -not- to test GPS without autolevel and cmPang's hint "v1.208 handles wind better ..." I simply try my old settings with (for me) v1.208.
leowie is offline Find More Posts by leowie
Last edited by leowie; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: flashed v1.208
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
Propellerhead
Joined Dec 2008
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airpac View Post
Hi leowie, in my opinion its a nogo to fly a gps position hold without autostability on.
Only with damping mode (normal or 3d) its impossible for the rabbit to fly any higher functionality like position hold or return to home. But maybe the programmers gives the position hold and return to home a own autostab routine. In this case we don't have to wonder why it dont works fine and both routines fight each other.
thank you, I also think it could be a problem to use GPS without auto stab. If I try I'll do it for some parts of a second switched only.

But of course an extra autostab routine when GPS is on is the better idea ... or a 50% flag in the original routine ... ... ...
Last edited by leowie; Apr 29, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
Propellerhead
Joined Dec 2008
255 Posts
Hm ...
I flashed v1.208 some minutes ago. Looks like now I can not fly without GPS (when not changing the setup).
With v1.207 I simply could disconnect the gps and fly without it (e.g. indoor, under trees ...).
So I'll go back to v1.207.
Last edited by leowie; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:59 AM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leowie View Post
Hm ...
I flashed v1.208 some minutes ago. Looks like now I can not fly without GPS (when not changing the setup).
With v1.207 I simply could disconnect the gps and fly without it (e.g. indoor, under trees ...).
So I'll go back to v1.207.
do you mean you cannot get pass the self test with the GPS disconnected?

As far as I know, there is no change in GPS self test, but there is some tightened up on the Gyro, so may be it is the Gyro that cannot get passed. May be you can try again and ensure the multi-rotor is sitting stationary during the self test..

some buddy here said that in version 1.208, the GPS can handle the wind better...

cmPang
cmpang is offline Find More Posts by cmpang
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,899 Posts
today i tested the latest version
everything seem to be good like previous 1,205 but i can t arrive to see improvement about baro mode...in fact my baro seem to work during a while and after my quad down slowly...it was the same think if i switch off my baro...it will be better if heigh lock will be not associated with throttle..
perhaps it s due to throttle value which change a little on the gui when i switch on start display..
do youhave thisissue about baro mode?
titeuf007 is online now Find More Posts by titeuf007
Last edited by titeuf007; Apr 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
today i tested the latest version
everything seem to be good like previous 1,205 but i can t arrive to see improvement about baro mode...in fact my baro seem to work during a while and after my quad down slowly...it was the same think if i switch off my baro...it will be better if heigh lock will be not associated with throttle..
perhaps it s due to throttle value which change a little on the gui when i switch on start display..
do youhave thisissue about baro mode?
For me, 1.208 has a much improved height control and better transition between sonar and baro control modes. Auto landing is about perfect.

GPS functionality has not improved and care free mode still does not work. Both are unusable for me. I wonder if there is something wrong on this board with the compass, affecting both GPS and CF mode.... I still have the feeling that I could improve GPS position hold if I had some control over the control loop parameters.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
Propellerhead
Joined Dec 2008
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpang View Post
do you mean you cannot get pass the self test with the GPS disconnected?

As far as I know, there is no change in GPS self test, but there is some tightened up on the Gyro, so may be it is the Gyro that cannot get passed. May be you can try again and ensure the multi-rotor is sitting stationary during the self test..

some buddy here said that in version 1.208, the GPS can handle the wind better...

cmPang
Many thanks - cmPang.
In the meantime I changed 1.207 and back to 1.208.
In both I can not pass the self test and/or can not get in calibration procedure.
Lights are running, stick move makes beep, entering breathing mode ok, but after try to arm I get lights 5+6+7=bright + light 8=blinking. maybe this means not calibrated ... but I can not get into this mode. but maybe I have to change the timm of the sticks ... ruder up + left makes nothing ... right also noting.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnimRod View Post
For me, 1.208 has a much improved height control and better transition between sonar and baro control modes. Auto landing is about perfect.

GPS functionality has not improved and care free mode still does not work. Both are unusable for me. I wonder if there is something wrong on this board with the compass, affecting both GPS and CF mode.... I still have the feeling that I could improve GPS position hold if I had some control over the control loop parameters.
i don t have mount my us so i only use baro..and i don t understand why my heigh lock work only fews minutes before to go down slowly
titeuf007 is online now Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Ok, one more question. Do I need GPS to do "auto land"? RTH, auto land, and GPS are three things I haven't experimented with.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leowie View Post

1....Lights are running, stick move makes beep, entering breathing mode ok...
2 ...., but after try to arm I get lights 5+6+7=bright + light 8=blinking.
1... since you can get into breathing mode, that means the fc has passed the self test....

2..... a blinking light means you have gone into the parameter setting mode...

please check again the arming procedure.. (throttle down, ailreon left), it seems that you have gone into the setting mode instead...(throttle up, ailreon left)

cmPang
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:07 PM
香港
Joined Sep 2004
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Ok, one more question. Do I need GPS to do "auto land"? RTH, auto land, and GPS are three things I haven't experimented with.
no you don't need GPS to use auto landing, but you have to enable height lock in order for AL to work though..

cmPang
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
You don't need GPS for auto-land.

It's really a nice feature since it lands the aircraft for you and then disarms it, making it safe for approaching and disconnecting the battery.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
cmpang, Any new firmware updates in the pipe? It's been a while...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Ok cool. I have height lock allready. The new firmware works really well in that mode. I'll have to run a jumper and try it out.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)