SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:20 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Here's a few pictures of an assembled unit with the ITead nRF24L01+ module. It turns I had to sand down about two thirds of a mm from the top of the module to make it fit into the case. No problem, since there is no copper on that part.

The software needs another round of testing before I upload it. I've put it through major changes, and I want to be happy about it before posting.

Here's a short video of the working module:

neTX in action (0 min 21 sec)
kile is offline Find More Posts by kile
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:37 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,644 Posts
Nice job there Kile. Looks very polish.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
I've uploaded the latest version of the source code. Lots of changes:

- Buzzer driver. It beeps during binding, copy TX and when
- Check nRF module. This will check if the nRF module is present/working by reading back the TX address. If this does not match, it will blink the LEDs and beep the buzzer in a loop. It's controlled with a preprocessor switch.
- The source code is reorganized a little. The PPM driver has it's own source/header.
- nRF sends out data only if there is a PPM signal. This does not include the binding/copy tx.
- Many small changes and bugfixes.

I have 8 blanks PCBs. If anyone wants an assembled and programmed neTX module, just let me know. I have a few nRF transceiver modules with an antenna as well.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
Hello kile,
I have been following the thread , you guys have done a great job. I am interested in a board or assembled module, what kind of price are we looking at for each? I have solder experience so mounting the components wouldn't be a problem but I don't have any programming equipment to get it working once it was assembled.
Thanks!
Bill
idahobill is offline Find More Posts by idahobill
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:49 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,765 Posts
What can I say... but WOW!!

Finished my neTX module, and put 2 batteries trough my solopro n°1, flying is so smooth.

Being able to use my Th9x to control all of my SP(s) is priceless, now only one tx for all my birds, the TX is used for my quads, planes, solopro(s), and V911.

I only need a module, maybe this one could be used with the correct FW and a CYRF module scrapped from a Walkera 4ch transmitter, to control my Walkeras (have to take my 2801 with me in vacation, wife's not gonna be happy ).

And when the devention protocol will be reversed why not a devention module based on this one (hint )

Thank you very much kile for the work you done and the perfect soldering of my board.

Edit: For those of you who will take this road, buy the nRF24L01+ without external antenna, the range is imo enough.

Having to fit the neTX and the nRF24L01+ with external antenna in the Spektrum case was a major PITA.

And another thing USB upgrade is so COOL...

Paulo.
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
Last edited by blackmoon; Apr 09, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:36 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
You're too kind Thanks.

It's good that you mention the internal antenna. Yesterday I tested the range of the ITead module with the internal antenna. The wind was very strong, so I couldn't actually fly the heli, but at a distance of about 85 meters the elevator/aileron controls were still working on the ground. So, yes, I agree, the internal PCB antenna is the way to go.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
i would be interested in one of these boards you guys have done an amazing job also how much did it cost to get ITead to make the board ihave some electronics i have been wanting to print out
fireeagle is offline Find More Posts by fireeagle
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:57 AM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireeagle View Post
i would be interested in one of these boards you guys have done an amazing job also how much did it cost to get ITead to make the board ihave some electronics i have been wanting to print out
I can send you a programmed and tested module for 20EUR including shipping. This is with a ATmega88PA microcontroller (I ran out of ATmega168). The module is user upgradeable, which means that if there any bugs or new features in the future, you will be able to program the new firmware without an external programmer. All you need is a USB port on your PC. I tested this with Windows, don't know about Linux or Mac, but I think there are open source tools for those too.

You will also need a 2.4GHz transceiver module which you can either buy from ITead here http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.p...products_id=53

or you can order a module with an antenna from online RC shops. Google ML47050, there are plenty of shops, but most of them are in Europe.

or I can send you the ML47050 module together with the neTX module for an extra 8eur.

The transceiver module with the antenna looks like this: http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/images...ML47050_01.jpg

The ITead module fits snuggly into the case after I sanded down the top of it with some fine sandpaper.

Keep in mind that in order to fit the ML47050 module with the antenna attached to the module case you will have to desolder the antenna from the transceiver module, drill a hole in the case of the module, stick the antenna cable and the antenna bottom throught the hole and solder the cable back to the ML47050 module.

Also, the price does not include a case. You will have to find one yourself because I don't have any. If you don't already have one lying around, you can google JRPA615. That's and official JR module case, costs between $5 and $10, and looks very similar to the one in a Turnigy 9x, but since I haven't held one in my hands, so I can't be sure.

You can find the prices for the PCB prototyping service here http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.p...ex&cPath=19_20
Basically, 10pcs of a max 50x50mm PCB are $10 + shipping.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
First off, Great Job on the Nine Eagles tx module. I look forward experimenting with your project when my schedule clears up.

I had plans to embark on a similar project and I have a couple questions about the nRF24* transceiver in the module. From my previous reading online I was under the impression that the Amiccom A71** transceivers used in the 9x and v911 are inspired/cloned/knock-offs of the nRF24*. The phy/mac layers are at the least partially compatible as utilized in the links below. So the questions are: Did you look into this route? Based on your experience, do you think it would be possible for firmware only mod?

Links are to research of Thorsten Schröder, Max Moser, and Travis Goodspeed.

http://www.amiccom.com.tw/
http://www.remote-exploit.org/articl...ghz/index.html
http://travisgoodspeed.blogspot.com/...l01s-duty.html
zeza is offline Find More Posts by zeza
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
thanks for the info kile i live in the US california to be exact don't know if you want to ship that far and is paypal good for payment I would like the combined neTX +2.4ghz module about 38 usd i believe plus whatever it cost shipping
fireeagle is offline Find More Posts by fireeagle
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeza View Post
So the questions are: Did you look into this route? Based on your experience, do you think it would be possible for firmware only mod?
So, you're asking if it is possible to transmit FlySky protocol data with this hardware? I really doubt that. If it is, it would at least be very difficult and very unreliable. But, I'm no expert in this, so I can't be sure.

But I can't see any good reason to do that, other than it would be a good learning experience with very little practical benefits.

Those are very interesting links you posted, btw. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2008
3 Posts
Module connector

Quick question, I have been searching for the connector for the module board for a different project, anyone know were to get them?

Thanks!
Bill
idahobill is offline Find More Posts by idahobill
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:09 AM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahobill View Post
Quick question, I have been searching for the connector for the module board for a different project, anyone know were to get them?

Thanks!
Bill
I got the ones I use for neTX from here:

http://www.tme.eu/en/details/zl305-05/pin-headers/#

These are just like the normal headers used on Arduino, only with a lower profile. The Arduino headers are 8.5mm tall (I think), these are only 5mm.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:11 AM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireeagle View Post
thanks for the info kile i live in the US california to be exact don't know if you want to ship that far and is paypal good for payment I would like the combined neTX +2.4ghz module about 38 usd i believe plus whatever it cost shipping
I have sent you a PM. Please check your PM inbox. Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
The nRF chip has a feature called auto ACK (acknowledge). This means that after sending a packet, the TX expects a confirmation from the RX that it received that packet and notifies the microcontroller about whether the confirmation was received. So I thought I could use this for a sort of a poor man's range test.

You can activate this range test by holding the bind button while neTX is working. If nRF gets the ACK packet, neTX will turn on the bind LED indicating that the heli has sent the confirmation. If there is interference on the channel you will notice that the LED is flickering, and if there is no connection, the LED will be off. All this is active only while you hold the bind button.

I have uploaded the new source code. I also included the V-USB bootloader source in the ZIP file.

I added another ZIP to the first post which contains the compiled HEX files and I also added the flashing instructions.

Enjoy!