SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:00 AM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Hi Kile,

I'll wait for the new revision of the pcb, and do a prototype.

With all the cool addition on your final design, and if ok with you I'll take one of the factory made ones.

I really can't understand why there isn't much more people interested by this, it is so much fun to do.

And by the way, I'm from Belgium, we are not so far apart

Have a nice day.
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmoon View Post
Hi Kile,

I'll wait for the new revision of the pcb, and do a prototype.

With all the cool addition on your final design, and if ok with you I'll take one of the factory made ones.

I really can't understand why there isn't much more people interested by this, it is so much fun to do.

And by the way, I'm from Belgium, we are not so far apart

Have a nice day.
1,543 views say otherwise For short time
Price of module's and even have long range HERE

Add RX!?
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
Not that it's not interesting. It's just over the head of most reading.

Plus, Nine Eagle's has tx compatibility issues. Their new helis uses a different protocol it seems. It's unfortunately IMHO, and puts me off because of it. In addition, I have had a couple of their RX failed prematurely on mine. Works on one battery. Stuck in another the next day and servo doesn't work.

That said, what you have done here is to be commended. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
1,543 views say otherwise For short time
Price of module's and even have long range HERE
Add RX!?
I Sadsack nice to see you here , I tend to have all threads that interest me open at all times, so I didn't saw that there where so many views. Thx for pointing that out.

And, wow!! don't want to fry my brain with that range, don't have so many neurons left at my age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Not that it's not interesting. It's just over the head of most reading.

Plus, Nine Eagle's has tx compatibility issues. Their new helis uses a different protocol it seems. It's unfortunately IMHO, and puts me off because of it. In addition, I have had a couple of their RX failed prematurely on mine. Works on one battery. Stuck in another the next day and servo doesn't work.

That said, what you have done here is to be commended. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Daryoon,

Thank you but I merely read and applied blindly what I barely understood at the time (now I begin to see the all picture, it's that that is so nice about projects like this one)

The one who merits all credit is Kile, even more that in the beginning he wasn't a bit interested in this.

I'm grateful that he did it and pursue it, otherwise I can't fly my SP anymore

And I agree with you one TX for each and new Nine Eagles is just bs, it's the one and only reason I don't buy another helicopter from them.

I'll use my 2 SP until they die (it will be long time, since I have like 200$ in spares)

I was being afraid of breaking something at the time, if I only knew they where so resilient...
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:58 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Layout and routing is finished I had to drop the Saleae Logic breakout (would have made routing impossible), but I kept V-USB and added a few small things. I haven't fixed the labels yet.

It's been quite a challenge to route this board. I am still very slow at this. If only everything was as quick and easy as writing code I guess it would be after 20 years of doing it...

So, I expect to have a press & peel prototype by the end of the weekend. After that I'll order the PCBs from ITead.
kile is offline Find More Posts by kile
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Nice work.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
If anyone is eager to start etching, I've posted the Eagle files. Just remember that I have not tested this yet, so please don't blame me if you build it and it blows up in your face.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
well I'm ugly enough, should it blowup maybe not notice right away
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:57 PM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Looking at the pcb, one thing is bothering me (maybe more it takes time to follow all these lines ), as is the JR pad would be soldered top and bottom.

If I put a simple female pin header there, I'll have some hard time doing it that way.

Shouldn't it be only soldered from the top side ?

I'm puzzled.

Thank you.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:45 PM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Looking at the pcb, one thing is bothering me (maybe more it takes time to follow all these lines ), as is the JR pad would be soldered top and bottom.

If I put a simple female pin header there, I'll have some hard time doing it that way.

Shouldn't it be only soldered from the top side ?
On a factory produced PCB, the two sides of every through hole pad are electrically connected with a copper plating on the inside of the hole. So it's enough to solder it on one side only. Every hole is a via. On a hand made PCB, you have to solder it to both sides since there is nothing else to connect the two sides. This is true for the JR module, and all the other through hole components on the board (ISP, nRF module and the FTDI cable).

I've finished the new prototype of the PCB. Everything seems to be fine, except I've messed up the buzzer footprint and put the ISP too close to the nRF module. I've corrected those in the new version I've uploaded.

I have made a serial arduino programmer with the same pinout as a FTDI cable http://www.raijuu.net/2008/12/serial/. It uses a serial port since I have one on my PC motherboard and I'm short on USB ports. I don't have a real FTDI yet, so I'll test the arduino bootloader with this. Good for debugging as well.

I've added another thing that I have not mentioned in the previous posts. Inspired by this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510047 I have used the remaining 2 pins of the JR module (6V and ANT) and routed AVR's USART to them. Since the hadware of this TX module allows any protocol to communicate with the receiver on the bird, this means that it is possible to build a receiver circuit which will send telemetry back to the transmitter. This, of course is very far into the future, but given enough motivation/interest it would be possible to do. It could, for instance mimic FrSky's telemetry protocol which means that the 9x firmwares would be able to read the telemetry information from the TX module without modification. Just an idea... nRF has a short range (around 100m) so this is not very useful for most people, but I fly only small helicopters (I've been building my first HK250 when I got 'sidetracked' by this project) and this could be very useful to me. If you don't think you will need this, just don't solder R11, R12, D4 and D5 onto the board.

I'll fix a few more cosmetics and send the PCB to ITead in the next day or two. Who wants one?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:34 AM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kile View Post
I'll fix a few more cosmetics and send the PCB to ITead in the next day or two. Who wants one?
As I already said, /me wants one
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
As I already said, /me wants one
I've sent the files to ITead for production. If all goes well (and if I haven't screwed up anything) I should have 10 blank PCBs in about 2-3 weeks. I've uploaded the version of the circuit that went into production.

I've also found a bug in the binding function and uploaded the new source. As usual you have to modify the hw_setup.h file to match your pin definitions.

By the way, ITead has an nRF24L01+ module with a PCB antenna. It has the same pinout as the Nine Eagles module, so I ordered one to play with. I wonder if it fits the module case. It's $5.50 + shipping.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
hungary
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Look what the postman brought today!

It took exactly a month from the day I ordered, longer than I expected, but still OK.

I've made a few changes to the software during this time and I also made a V-USB based bootloader.

I will assemble at least one of these in the next few days and test everything.

Fun times ahead
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Looking very nice indeed!!

Well i need my solo pro here and then make one for my Futaba module.
Have got a pair of nRF24L01+ modules. Was hoping to maybe get wireless sim adapter so can free up 7ch rx ...which can go in new quad but another project may kick off (nothing to do with me) which i've wanted for a longtime Walkera module for my futaba which would be sweet!!
Just so much to do and works picked up a little so lot less free time........
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
flying beam
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kile View Post
Look what the postman brought today!
Sweet! yesterday I was thinking bout this project... and here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Walkera module for my futaba which would be sweet!!
holly schmoly ! I'm in for the ride (adapted to my JR of course)