HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Been there, Crashed that.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
151 Posts
Guys,
Didn't happen this weekend, winds were way too high, am going to shoot for thursday afternoon. That said.......

I agree with the recent comments and appreciate the candor. I really didn't make the ESM/KMP connection but I should have. Bought a KMP Adam A500 several years ago, and it still isn't together. Swore I would never buy another ESM/KMP product. (I know some like their stuff, thats fine, its just not for me, and the Wilga is just another example). When I bought the bird, I'd been looking for a Wilga, something different I could load up, toss in the gas can and hit the field. Don't think this one is going to be it. In fact, I'm almost to the point of putting it up for sale at this point and cutting any further losses. I'd looked at other Wilga models, and there are some nice ones, but cost quite a bit more than I could go, and I really like 1/5 scale birds. And I thought this one would be a nice companion bird to my Porter. Don't be surprised if you see it in the classified here or RCU.

As to Porters, I have the Top Model 150 scale. Here's a RCG Porter 150 thread containing numerous builds of it, mine included, and a lot of additional info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...p+model+porter

I will say that the TM bird will need some mods also, but nothing like what I had to do to the Wilga. And yes some of those mods will need to be to the gear attachment points. I'll also say that the Aerodesign is more scale looking. The TM 150 is a lot of fun to fly, (running a Hacker A60 off 2 5S pks), but you don't want to bang it down to the ground on landing. I'll keep you posted as to what happens with my Wilga. Kudos to all that gave it a shot, think we all did our best with it, kept a bit of open mind, but at the end of the day the design and quality of the kit comes up short. That MR Aero Porter is making me itchy.. maybe my TM 150 needs a brother..hehehehehe

(FYI, keep in mind the MRAero Porter is a kit, and the TM Porters are ARF's. Anyone have a link to a build thread for the Aeromodelism Porter? Can't seem to find one.. hmm..)
hmarshall is offline Find More Posts by hmarshall
Last edited by hmarshall; May 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
151 Posts
Hey Guys,
Put 4 flights on it today, (06-2). 1st flt I had no d/r, expo or such programming, wanted to see where it was at 'naturally'. Was pretty twitchy in roll axis, and turns were interesting, it wanted nose up pretty good, giving a kind of 'flying tail heavy' look. Certainly need to know how to use the rudder in this configuration. Otherwise I think a couple clicks of ele was all I needed to trim. Landing was uneventful tho wind was all over the place at 5-6 gusting to 12 or so. No flaps. Flew a straight in, power on approach, settled on the gear nice.

For flt #2, added some ail-rudder mixing, with rudder as slave, using a 50% mix. Also set a D/R with 65% - 35% expo on all flying surfaces for low side, and 100% - 35% on high side. Made a HUGE difference. Kept it on low rates rest of flying day, and really see no need to use a higher rate. Handled much better, especially on turns. Landing, greased it in but at the point it was almost stopped, hit a dip and it slowly nosed over then flipped onto its back. Put it back on its legs, nothing was amiss, so fired it up and took off right there. Next landing much better. On 4th flt. I set a 10% ele / flap mix, (mine are set to '45' for POS 1 on my JR11). Popped them down at altitude, settled in very nice. Popped again on base so could see how it would act in turns with them down.. a touch more power and a touch of ele, it felt nice and locked in. Used power to maintain descent, settled into a very nice, and slow 3 pointer.

Had no issues with landing gear, even tho did bounce once or twice on the 2nd landing. I think the dubro 5" tires really helped cushion things out. On takeoff it tracked true, only needing a bit of rudder correction prior to liftoff. Takeoffs were very scale looking, it rides nice on the wide gear. Still need to dial out a bit of the tendency to roll toward the right in flight. Only loss was 2 small screws from the front windshield, everything else stayed tight. On the cowl screws, substituted metal wahsers for plastic washers, added a small dab of loctite, they held MUCH better than metal washers, and no digging into the cowl like the metals will do. Had also lined the inside of the cowl with aluminum muffler tape to help shed heat from around muffler and head, worked well.. and had also put a chrome tie-wrap around the spark plug housing, didnt like the way it expanded open a bit when fully seated. The DLE 30 has exceeded my expectations, my experience is with DA. I'm impressed with it.

The only other suggestions I can make are 1, ditch the include pull-pull wire and use Dubro pull-pull wire. I'm already seeing some slack creep in to the include wire, but where I used Dubro its keeping tension. Last, I'm going to ditch the tail wheel pull-pull. I think this plane will taxi/turn just fine with the wheel as a free castor. Just not enough weight on the butt of it to make pull-pull effective, at least thats just my observation, granted our field is a bit rough so tail wheels take a beating. It just didnt seem to work that well for me. I put it into some steep turns at varying speeds, def. need to keep some speed up and will need to horse the nose a bit but it did hang in there. Steep decents were no problem, again stay with the throttle when transitioning out. I did not deliberately stall or encounter a stall.

All in all it was a great afternoon. The plane needs a crap load o' mods building, and a bit of tweaking once in air, but I'm actually kinda happy with it. Really had a ho-hum attitude about flying it, figured a good chance that something was going to get busted up. But once I got it tweaked with some programming, its really not a bad flyer. Fast flight, slow flight, etc.. if any piece of advice I could give, would be manage the throttle and keep power on when it needs it. When you come off the throttle on this bird, it will drop quite fast, no matter if in turn, level, etc.. especially on landing. Set up your descent and manage most of it with throttle all the way to the ground, and it'll be fine. Kinda of looking forward to flying it again! I feel like I'm eating a bit of crow...Ha!!
Last edited by hmarshall; Jun 02, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
151 Posts
Regarding tailwheels, if anyone watching this thread has bunged up their Wilga and parting it out, I would like to obtain the tailwheel spring and control horn. I have a different bird that it might work on, where others aren't. So, if someone out there willing to part with the spring and horn, touchbase with me and let me know what you want for them. Thanks!
HM
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:04 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,842 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear about the Wilga problems...I was thinking of buying one as I really like the real plane (there used to be one based at Reid Hillview Airport, which is very close to my home. I only read a bit of this thread (will read it all), but from what I am seeing these are the same kind of issues that there were with the ESM Storch, which is another plane I really like...

Doesn't sound good at all....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:08 AM
Sweden, Dalarna County, Aspeboda
Joined Dec 2005
143 Posts
WILGA problem!

Hi
Just browsed thru the thread to get tips and information!

I have a ECOMRC Wilga ready for take-off, I believe. Tried to taxi around on the airport (grass) one wheel went into a small hole, the plane tipped on nose and went upside down, no speed, no problem, I tought! The firewall was broken, not at the edges, I have reinforced that, but the standoff just went thru the "ply" like paper. The ply they use isn't worth the name of it. its like wellpapier. Have to admit I have a ZDZ50 NG on the plane, but there was no speed and the weight is similar to those 35cc's.
So I have cut out center square, replacing with proper flyplywood and reinforcing with epoxy and fiber glass on both sides.

Still have a feeling that since I cant see any thrust down or right built in, the plane will properly turn right on the ground. Too many if's and but's for me. Think I'll return to homebuilt planes..........
krokko is offline Find More Posts by krokko
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:39 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,891 Posts
I just bought one from someone on this thread before reading the thread to the end. I hope it wasn't a huge mistake.
skypup is offline Find More Posts by skypup
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:04 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,891 Posts
Can anyone tell me (measuring from the back of the cowl) forward 6.5" , would there still be 7.75-8.00" of width at that point? I'm trying to see if an os 160 twin will fit. Thanks.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
I don't know if you saw this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743385

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I don't know if you saw this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1743385

Harry
Sounds encouraging, thanks.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
No problem, good luck with it. I came real close to getting one but decided to wait. Beautiful plane.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:37 PM
san antonio, texas
Joined Mar 2002
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
No problem, good luck with it. I came real close to getting one but decided to wait. Beautiful plane.

Harry
I've always liked this plane. An interesting design. I'm hoping my os 160 twin fits under the cowl.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,842 Posts
And I'm glad you bought it before I did!! I had just bought a vintage Svenson Fieseler Storch from the same gentleman....but even though I really wanted the Wilga, I resisted. (otherwise I would be looking for a divorce attorney right now....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 29, 2013, 10:05 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
226 Posts
Hey all,

Sorry to drag up such an old thread but I need to ask a question.

I have one of these that I was given because the person I bought it off crashed on the maiden flight and didn't want to fix it so he gave it to me for nothing. All he did was break off one of the legs on landing.

I've since repaired it and fitted it out and it's pretty much right to go but I just need to balance it. People that have this plane did you balance it at the point the manual says (I think it said 90mm from the leading edge) or if not where about did you balance it.

Cheers,

Glenn.
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y
Old May 30, 2013, 08:48 AM
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2006
151 Posts
I balanced mine per the manual, which was pretty much where it ended up at end of assembly. Don't recall having to make any adjustments to get CG. Didn't take much to get it trimmed, few clicks. I did spend time getting expo and flap-elevator mix set right. Worth the effort. The plane flies squirrely so that took a bit of that out of it. Landings are where you need to pay close attention. A number of guys ripped the gear on this bird. The real plane may be STOL but this one isn't. Fly it all the way to the ground, let it roll out until tail drops, keeping the elevator jacked up, as it also has a tendency to want to nose over. At half flaps it will slow down nicely and set it on all 3 points, but still need to stay on top of the elevator. If you chop throttle too much on final, it'll drop quick but straight. Ease some juice back to it and it'll pick back up into a nice decent. Some guys reported a wing drop when coming off throttle too much on final, I didn't experience that. Ended up selling it a couple months ago. Just didn't fly it enough to warrant taking up the space. Is a cool looking plane though and does draw attention at the field. Hope this helps!
HM
Last edited by hmarshall; May 30, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:29 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
226 Posts
Mate that is such a great post. Very informative for me. Thanks very much.

I'll be sure to post back once i've done the maiden. Hopefully next weekend because the weather is looking terrible for this weekend.
NOI53Y is offline Find More Posts by NOI53Y