HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
No good deeds go unpunished.
About the flaps, I dont know what you have for deflection, but very often I see much more flap applied than is needed or safe. Every plane will be different. Maybe just 20 degrees or so is all thats required.? +-

The other issue you may be up against is the large prop, which equals large amounts of P-factor. This will certainly show up on takeoff and when you are slow and add power.
Just a few things that may help get you going in the right direction. Thanks for being so honest and forthright with your experience. Most guys would not have the guts to report when things go bad, especially if it was their fault.
Kudos to you.

LEN
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
No good deeds go unpunished.
About the flaps, I dont know what you have for deflection, but very often I see much more flap applied than is needed or safe. Every plane will be different. Maybe just 20 degrees or so is all thats required.? +-

The other issue you may be up against is the large prop, which equals large amounts of P-factor. This will certainly show up on takeoff and when you are slow and add power.
Just a few things that may help get you going in the right direction. Thanks for being so honest and forthright with your experience. Most guys would not have the guts to report when things go bad, especially if it was their fault.
Kudos to you.

LEN
Len,

Thanks for the kind words and the tips. It helps soften the blow of todays flight. I will take them into account on the next outing.

The flaps were set full at approximately 80 degrees at the time of the stall and I just wasn't used to a plane that had that much flap. I wanted to see what kind of response I would get with that much flap and well....I guess I found out.

At 45 degrees she came in smooth and still under control before the mishap. The 19x12 prop was pulling at half throttle approximately 25 to 30 amps and at that setting she was flying level and smooth. So I think I'll stay with that prop/battery combo for the time being since it seems to perform very well.

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Socrates
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Hey Rudderman, sorry to hear about the mishap. Flaps can be a challenge with certain planes but that's what makes this hobby so much fun. I have a Pawnee with flaps and have to remember to keep some power while landing or it will drop like a rock. Keep it going. I am still going to get one of these.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Got quiet here. So what's the verdict? Would you recommend this plane?

Harry
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Got quiet here. So what's the verdict? Would you recommend this plane?

Harry
Hi Harry,

Sorry for being absent from this thread but the weather here and work has kept me from taking her up again for more shakedown flights.

I would recommend it. It's a great plane and when I'm not crashing it, it flies good. Took a bit of tweaking for eflight but I'm confident I have ironed it out.

Apart from the minor little problems, it is a well put together plane IMO.

I like it.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:27 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
I had the chance to fly the review plane this weekend. All in all its a pretty nice flying plane. We towed a little Cularis for fun. The plane looks good in the air and on the ground. I did find an issue with the plane when landing. You need to keep the speed up on your turn to final or the wing will drop. This happens on my big one too, it must be due to the narrow wing cord. Also, when in ground effect, land the plane. If you try to drag it out and get it too slow, it will drop a wing also. I think setting the flap to about 15 degrees will help a lot.

This is a real nice plane for the money, no harder to fly than an intermediate style plane.
I would recommend beefing up the ply landing gear plate right from the start.

Here are some pictures
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:31 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Thanks Perry. I was waiting around to hear a little more before I pulled the trigger. Bang Really glad you like the Wilga. I am so busy with work and it's frustrating as we have excellent weather. Have to drive up north tomorrow and threw a plane in the truck just in a case.

Harry
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Good report Perry and Len ! The weather and timing for my days off are just wrong down here. If it isnt raining it's too windy. I'll get it out eventually but our club field is a problem too. The weeds have taken over on our runway and with the drout and heat we had last year it's really taken a toll on our field.

From what we've heard about the flight reports, I've sealed all the flight surfaces on mine and will add VG's to the wings in front of the ailerons. Hopefully that'll help with the tip stall problem. Perhaps deviating from scale a little and adding a few more rib bays would probably turn this one into a nice flying plane.

Duane
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
http://stolspeed.com/slats-v-s-vgs
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post
Interesting read right there.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Hello
Can you help me please with a movie of wilga from ecom ?
Do you thing the engine ASP FT160AR (26cc 4T) it will be enought for flying this plane ?
Thank you
sinularia is offline Find More Posts by sinularia
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,548 Posts
Yes, 26cc will fly the plane. The plane is very light overall.

len
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post
Any idea how big and how many VG's you are looking to add? I'm a VG novice and really appreciate the link to the article you shared. I have had some experiences trying to scale things down, like a working fenestron for tail control on small RC helicopters. Some times, some things don't scale down and remain functional. Would really like to know about any experiences you've had with VG's on RC models.
TIA - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
LSF 853
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Hooverup,
There's some intresting results on this thread -
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=69690

I'm still waiting to test fly this Wilga before installing them. If I do I'll probably remove the slats.

Also start at post 157 here...
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=53878&page=7
Last edited by CaptAhab; Feb 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Yes, 26cc will fly the plane. The plane is very light overall.

len
Thank you for answer, but it will be 26cc methanol, no gas engine. It will be enought ?
sinularia is offline Find More Posts by sinularia