HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Rudderman, with the way the horns are installed right now I bet the rudder would feel pretty mushy, the horns will be bending quit a bit. I also dont like the two piece horns supplied so I'll be making a solid one piece horn. The geometry isn't correct on the supplied horns either as they don't line up on the hinge rudder line which has to be perfect to prevent binding at full throw.
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post
Rudderman, with the way the horns are installed right now I bet the rudder would feel pretty mushy, the horns will be bending quit a bit. I also dont like the two piece horns supplied so I'll be making a solid one piece horn. The geometry isn't correct on the supplied horns either as they don't line up on the hinge rudder line which has to be perfect to prevent binding at full throw.

I wasn't too fond of the two piece horns myself so I have some G10 fiberglass that I might cut out and make a new single unit. I was going to try and do the mod with the original rudder on the tail but that became a PIA. It would be easier just to get the new rudder and do it off the plane.

Safety First!
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the rudder guys. Got my servo order from TBM today. I was told that the new 4mm bolts and washers were going to be included. Of course they were MIA. Now the rudder needs replacing. I really appreciate you folks that are breaking trail. I'll likely remain in the prop wash running behind, as I'm beginning to feel like there will be more chapters to this drama.

I love the Wilga. I just wish the importer had been in China to QA the first prototype before telling the shop to proceed with the production run. I am good friend with the owner operator of RCAerodyne in Seattle and he is in China every month making sure the factory is headed down the right path. I know TBM are not the distributors for the Wilga kit so this is not a horse on them. They seem to be keeping up with the hiccups as they surface, so orchids to Bill and his crew in Florida.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
LSF 853
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Here's my fix for the rudder control horns, I've had these a long time and dont remember where I got them but your local HS should have something similar.
The other picture is the battery holder.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post
I am good friend with the owner operator of RCAerodyne in Seattle and he is in China every month making sure the factory is headed down the right path.
Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
LSF 853
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup,

Yeah I know him too. He makes my wallet smaller everytime I visit him.

He does a checkup on his products as Hoverup says. That's why his products are above par with the competiton.

I am curious though as to why ECOM didn't know about these hiccups before releasing the Wilga. Didn't they not mock one up before production? Did they fly one?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nonetheless, I waited long enough for this model as an ARF so I'll fix the issues and enjoy her.

Kudo's go to the TBM crew for their support during this build log. I know it's been difficult. I had to deal with these issues when I was with KMP Models a few moons ago.

Thanks guys!

Capt,

You da man! Going to find these horns ASAP!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,236 Posts
I wonder if the Chinese NewYear hitting next week had anything to do with the omissions? Some of our suppliers started their CNY last Friday and won't be back until 1/30/12
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Here's my fix for the rudder control horns, I've had these a long time and dont remember where I got them but your local HS should have something similar.
The other picture is the battery holder.
Looks like some old Rocket City hardware from the 60's that I have some where in the shop. Cool stuff with a much finer adjustment capability.

Cheers - Boyd
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
I'm pretty sure I got those horns from Central Hobbies. They're the MKD horns about half way down the page on the left, pn - MKD-0812 .

http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro...s/horns00.html

Good stuff there ! Check out the "Hyde Soft Mounts" while you're there !

Thanks Rudderman
Last edited by CaptAhab; Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,532 Posts
A little sidebar to the Wilga issue.
The manufacturer is learning very quickly. The Wilga is a fine example of the nice quality that is available in this product line.
The same company is producing a new line of gliders that will be a huge hit with my crowd at rcAerotowing.com
This time, the manufacture is asking for our help. They have been sending photos and specs on the new planes and we have been offering suggestions and advice to them where to beef it up and how to make it better. I am amazed how well they listen, Never is it a problem. They fix it and say ok, what else.
These are not due out for another 6 mnths or so, We will be doing the reviews and plan be tough on them if they are not up to par. I suspect they will be very good.
Troy built models deserves a big hand for the way they are introducing these planes and working hard to make everyone happy. Show them support. I have no ties other than they are the supplier of the review planes.
If you like sailplanes and want to possible win one, check out the this and enter.
http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...cale-sailplane
LEN
rcAerotowing.com

PS. the WILGA arrived today, nice packing.
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I got those horns from Central Hobbies. They're the MKD horns about half way down the page on the left, pn - MKD-0812 .

http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro...s/horns00.html

Good stuff there ! Check out the "Hyde Soft Mounts" while you're there !

Thanks Rudderman, hey dont you have snow shoes for your airplanes ? Or you can fly off those frozen lakes !
Ahh me no like the cold Cap'n.

Got them horns on order. Thanks man!
Last edited by Rudderman98; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Found a set of wheels/tires that I'll use on my Wilga. DuBro 1/4 scale J-3 Cub wheels are perfect. They have small diameter wheels just like the 1:1 Wilga and will be a big visual improvement over the kit supplied main wheels. Toss the Cub Caps, they won't be used.

Cheers - Boyd
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 AM
AMA 670207
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post
Found a set of wheels/tires that I'll use on my Wilga. DuBro 1/4 scale J-3 Cub wheels are perfect. They have small diameter wheels just like the 1:1 Wilga and will be a big visual improvement over the kit supplied main wheels. Toss the Cub Caps, they won't be used.

Cheers - Boyd
Those are a great idea Boyd but you might run into some clearance issues with the struts.

I have similar diameter wheels with a wider width than stock and they rub up against the struts. You might need longer axles to clear. If you can make it work, please post your findings.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,173 Posts
Perry, this Wilga looks FANTASTIC!!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:42 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
To Perry hope ya got a big snow shovel fella.

Might be a good time to design some Ski's eh.

G'day Eddie.
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
LEN ,
Rudderman did a maiden on his Wilga today and I'll let him post the results, he's at work tonight but wanted to get some info off you. It went good but there's a few issues that need addressing.

We'd like to know if the size of the flaps and ailerons look about the same compared to your model. Alot more aileron authority is needed.

And, the shock struts are soft on this model allowing a wing to drop, which in turn makes the model veer off the runway. Are your shock struts pretty stiff, On this model they compress relatively easy.

Thanks,
Duane