HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Help!
scale decals , where to buy

I retired to Mexico and made a friend of an old timer in his 80's who scales down plans from Guillow ,Dumas, Sterling etc to a wing span of about 16".....
He cuts everything out the old fashion way with a razor or Xacto knife ,,,,,he has about 30 finished but here is our problem
1) we can't find WW1 scale decals much less WW11
2) there is NO dope ( even clear ) available and NO ONE will ship it to Mexico (will paint them with acrylics as they are static models and won't be flying )
3) no silk span available (tissue) and the modern coverings will crush the "bones" when shrunk..
4) need 1-1 1/2 " scale WW1 and WW11 wheels

Please help a couple of old poops continue the hobby in the way it was meant to be ....we don't do plastic or foam
he tells me that his 2 favorite hobby shops stateside have closed and Mexico only sells foam stuff .... is everyone doing their shopping on line ?
gravy g is offline Find More Posts by gravy g
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Have a look in the electric scale section, there's a sticky "Post scale decals for downloading". You may be able to scale something to your like and print it on water slide decal paper. I'm sure nobody would mind shipping Silkspan and decal paper to Mexico- the Dope is flammable so that's why the shipping is a problem.

An alternative to dope is laquer based sanding sealer from the hardware store, or water based poly-urethane varnish from the same place.

Re. online ordering: If, like me, you live a bit off the beaten track, that's the only viable alternative...

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
thanks ODD .....I'm wondering if your suggested sealers would keep the silk span tight .....guess we'll experiment
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention mate! Sanding sealer works great, BTW, its also just a kind of lacquer.

After many years I still have an oversupply of beautiful, lightweight tissue. It's origins? It was used to manufacture tea bags from! Can't tell the difference between it and 000 Silkspan in practical applications. The price was right too- free! I've even heard of a guy who used shoe box tissue to cover a model.

There's another alternative to Dope which is safe to ship: Deluxe materials Ezy Dope. It's a water based resin that smells of Ammonia.

PS: Since I'm in the mood for some armchair modeling, and for purely scientific purposes, see, I dissected a Lipton tea bag!

What you get is a piece of tissue about 6" x 3 1/4", with a definite lengthwise grain. So I photographed the tissue in comparison to some 00 Silkspan (heavier but the only Silkspan I have).... Notice any difference?

You may want to start drinking Beer in stead of Tea
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Ken likes bourbon and I like beer , tequila ,and rum and coke ......coffee in the morning .... everything is cheap here ...... thank for your help .....if you can make it to Mexico , we'll treat you ! ...... you can even re-kit some of our creations
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Cheers mate, I'd never say no to any of those! Will have one on you this evening!

Odd
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:00 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,379 Posts
"I retired to Mexico"

I understand that the cost of living there is much cheaper, BUT, you pay the price in other things.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:38 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Way off topic here, sorry...

I suppose if one retires to a place where the exchange rate is favourable, your pension/superannuation money might last longer. Just remember to take a gallon of Dope and some Silkspan!

Odd
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:10 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
For dope, try your local airport. See if they do any fabric airplane work. If so, they will have GALLONS of clear dope.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Thanks to all for your replies .....the local big airport has nothing but "beer can" coverings and our local grass strip Has only one fabric covered air plane .....A 1940 Portifield Colligiate (SP) ( And I went to college ) ..... Mark bought it over 10 years ago in the states and has TOTALLY rebuilt it ....wood and all ..... his photo album is like a giant balsa kit as he shows his progress ..... HIS dope was driven across the border when it was required and is all gone .....the plane is a little under powered and takes the whole runway to get airborne .....well, we are a mile up to start with up here in the mountains... however every time you make love , you are automatically a member of the "mile high club " ....the wonderful thing is that EVERY pilot speaks English here and it's a nice fraternity
Old Jan 07, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Did you get sorted with some tissue then?