HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
man of many thumbs
United States, NY, Redwood
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Build Log
'20s style raised deck cruiser

I'm scratch building a 38" raised deck cruiser as a trial for full size boat I may be building in the next few years. I've not really built any RC model boats before, but I've been building all kinds of other models my whole life, and I've built several 12"/foot boats too, so we'll see how it goes...

This seems like a good site with lots of knowledgeable builders here, so I hope maybe I can get some help and encouragement as I go along.

The boat I have in mind will look like a classic cruiser, but will be built somewhat narrower and much lighter to make it trailerable and to allow for home storage. Here's a picture of a 36' Blanchard to show what I've got in mind.

I've designed the hull with a William Atkin style tunnel Seabright bottom, here are the lines as drawn with FreeShip software.

So far, I've cut out and erected the molds, and planked the hull in white pine strips, if you'd like, I'll post some more pictures soon --

Tom
moTthediesel is offline Find More Posts by moTthediesel
Last edited by moTthediesel; Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
jda
Fossil builder
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2006
436 Posts
Looking forward to your build and LOTS of pics. I built a static model of this type some 25 years ago. jda
jda is offline Find More Posts by jda
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
man of many thumbs
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Here's all the section patterns, printed in 1"/1' scale and glued to foam poster board with photo adhesive.

The notches are cut out so that they can be affixed to a strongback made of 2"X3" blue board insulating foam.

Here's the section forms set up on the strongback.

Note that I also laid out the stem profile on poster board.

Here's the bottom planked up from 1/4"X3/32" clear eastern white pine strips.

Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
man of many thumbs
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
OK, just a few more pictures for now ---

Here it is all planked and rough sanded.

Here's the interesting part, the tunnel stern bottom.

Next I plan to seal it with epoxy resin then fair it with micro balloons in more epoxy -- and lots of long board sanding. After that I'll cover the hull with thin cotton cloth set in epoxy.

Next I'll strip plank the deck with more pine. Any ideas on a good way to do that and yet make the deck removable?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:06 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Wow! nice job so far!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
Next I plan to seal it with epoxy resin then fair it with micro balloons in more epoxy -- and lots of long board sanding. After that I'll cover the hull with thin cotton cloth set in epoxy.
Might want to 'glass (why cotton?) first before you fair the hull- much easier that way.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:15 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,658 Posts
This thread added to WOODIES: Wooden Pleasure Craft Build Logs listing.

Path: RCGroups -> Boats -> Scale Boats ->"WOODIES..."
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:19 PM
man of many thumbs
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Might want to 'glass (why cotton?)
Cotton is plenty strong for this use and is much easier to get to conform to curvy shapes without wrinkling.

I've been using fiberglass long enough and often enough to have really come to detest it!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Looks nice
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:37 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,657 Posts
interesting hull form on the skeg/keel, Looks good so far. keep the pics a comming.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:22 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
Cotton is plenty strong for this use and is much easier to get to conform to curvy shapes without wrinkling.

I've been using fiberglass long enough and often enough to have really come to detest it!
yes, plenty strong for a model boat. interesting that it would be easier to conform to the shape of your hull. .75 -1.5 oz glass is quite easy to work with and probably would wet out better than cotton. But if you don't like 'glass, that sounds like reason enough to me!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:32 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
So the strongback will come out when you are done? Interesting technique, never seen it done exactly like that, although thinking on it I have seen it done full scale (ski boats). The 'keel' is where you will put the stuffing box and motor?

I have used sawdust (or flour), instead of paying for microballoons for years, works pretty well (and you always have some flour, or saw dust on hand).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Last edited by fooman2008; Dec 29, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,702 Posts
Nice build MoTthediesel!!!

I'm a long time fan of the Atkins' work. Their website provides enough data to model most of their designs.

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Hi moThediesel
Great combination of classic design above the water line and modern below. The picture you posted looks like a "Lake Union Dream Boat", many of this design were built buy the Blanchard yard in the Seattle area during the 1920's to the early 40's. There are quite a few, many still in beautiful shape, around the Seattle area. Many have pictures at the Classic Yacht Website. http://classicyacht.org/ Some of these might give you ideas for classic interiors or other details that you might enjoy including in the model or the full-size you are planning. Good luck on the project, I will really enjoy seeing it progress.
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
man of many thumbs
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
So the strongback will come out when you are done?
Yeah, the strongback will come out after the hull is done, but now it's handy for holding onto the boat while working on it.

Quote:
Interesting technique, never seen it done exactly like that, although thinking on it I have seen it done full scale (ski boats). The 'keel' is where you will put the stuffing box and motor?
Yup, that's kinda how big boat molds are set up. And yes, one of the advantages of these kind of hulls is that the machinery can be mounted way down low, and the shaft can be installed without any angle at all. Very efficient that way!

Quote:
I have used sawdust (or flour), instead of paying for microballoons for years, works pretty well (and you always have some flour, or saw dust on hand).
Foo
Sure, those will work too, but I have big "family size" amounts of microballoons on hand, so why not?