HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
Balsa is very likely what is used for the whole model other than the wing spars. Mind you all those lightening holes in the ribs and formers makes me almost wonder if this design was originally drawn up in the between war or even during the war or if balsa was still hard to get in the immediate post war years. The parts as shown sure do have the sort of look that was set out in the plywood and limewood designs of the pre-war Germany. Keep in mind that Switzerland borders three major countries and has no actual distinct language of their own. So it's not surprising that the northern portion bordering Germany would be highly influenced by the German designs at that time. Without the written article it's hard to say since the plans are done in the typical European manner of the time of showing item numbers to go with a "Legend" which explains each item number.

Now even with all the holes it could still be an all balsa design. There were some very fanatical designer/builders doing free flight models back then. The really went with the adage "Light is Right and Lighter is Righter!" So it's hard to say without the article.

If I built one? I'd certainly go for balsa for most stuff and just skip the lightening holes. Too much work for too little gain when balsa is used. The wing spars would be spruce or other wood than balsa for the reasons you mention. Also we tend to G load the spars more with RC on board then the original FF models would ever have seen in anything other than a crash. So good spars is a good idea. Other than that and maybe slightly bigger elevons by shifting the hinge line a bit and I'd call it all good. Maybe in keeping with the swept wing aerodynamics I'm reading about and how the stagnation point shifts on a swept wing a little twist in the inner panels would not be a bad thing. Better than finding out later that you've got a really nasty deep stall issue.

And finally the Coupe d'Resistance..... I'd see if I could locate some manner of covering which is translucent with the look of doped silk or silkspan much like the old original Coverite but which is still strong enough for a model of this size. It seems a shame to cover all that structure away from being appreciated but on the other hand transparent Mono or Ultracote seems just far too "plastic'y".
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
The "Schlauchkurbler" was seen in his time (around 1950-60) on each free-flight competition. Most two or three times. It was designed by Leopold Tlapak (Austria).

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Last edited by hastf1b; Jan 08, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:20 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Nettetal
Joined Jun 2003
92 Posts
Here are two photos of my Schlauchkurbler

Wolfgang
quaxi is offline Find More Posts by quaxi
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Bruce, all points well taken. Skipping all the holes would make cutting by hand much easier and would cut down the cost of a laser cutter charging by length of tool path. As far as covering goes, if one really wanted to show off the structure, there is always Doculite... I know what you mean about the coverings being "plastic'y". There is this stuff here - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB896&P=0 Might work? Don't know much about it, though I think I might just go looking for some info.

Heinz, That wing in the photo looks along the lines of the Paoli Flying Wing, more sweep but they have sliced the tips for the elevons. Speaking of the Paol, there is a guy on RCG that reworked that design and has a decent wing going. His posts about it here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=16 and here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=18

Wolfgang, nice build. Very clean looking. That set up for free flight or R/C?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2003
92 Posts
Hello Mark,

yes, the setup is for R/C. It´s yery easy to do a hight start with rubber bungee and 90m nylon.

Wolfgang
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaxi View Post
Hello Mark,

yes, the setup is for R/C. It´s yery easy to do a hight start with rubber bungee and 90m nylon.

Wolfgang
Shiny, You wouldn't happen to have those plans in pdf format would you? It looks like an easy "long weekend" kind of build. Not a high parts count on that one.

Mark
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jun 2003
92 Posts
Sorry Mark,
I have no drawings in pdf, it was a short kit by
http://www.aeroplan-modelle.de

http://www.aeroplan-modelle.de/aeroplanneu022.htm

Wolfgang
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:03 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Shiny, You wouldn't happen to......
Am I seeing evidence of a fellow Firefly fan?

Quick, that skyloft looks highly interesting. I'm wondering if it can be coloured using Rit dye or similar instead of living with plain white. I'd order some and try it out but I'm blessed with having a stockpile of the old original Coverite material which came coloured already and looks for all the world like clear doped dyed silkspan. So I'm OK for now....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Am I seeing evidence of a fellow Firefly fan?

Quick, that skyloft looks highly interesting. I'm wondering if it can be coloured using Rit dye or similar instead of living with plain white. I'd order some and try it out but I'm blessed with having a stockpile of the old original Coverite material which came coloured already and looks for all the world like clear doped dyed silkspan. So I'm OK for now....
Who, me? A died to the wool Browncoat? What in the 'vers would of ever causes you to suss that out?

I just might give that skyloft a try. It's priced right and I have a few smaller builds that I could try it on. If it works out, I'm going to have a wing and tail feathers that 3 or so packs just might cover. It might be worth a try with the die as you are supose to get it wet before it is put on and it shrinks back up and pulls tight as it dries. Instruction pdf - https://www.dbproducts.com/downloads...kyl_header.pdf The stuff might work out well for the vintage builder.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
On the subject of older wings, over on the Vintage & Old-Timer Designs forum, there is an old Frog Gladiator plank type CL that was converted to R/C. Looks to be a nice job. Here's the link - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552188 for anyone that might be interested.

Mark
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
International flying wing competition between the Netherlands, Austria, Yugoslavia and Germany in 1953.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastf1b View Post
International flying wing competition between the Netherlands, Austria, Yugoslavia and Germany in 1953.

Heinz
UNBELIEVABLE !
I had no idea there was this much diversity in design back then.
All before the internet, before computers...... before hand held calculators.
That's what I call model building.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,380 Posts
I'd be very interested to know what started such a profusion of wing building in Europe.Any of you guys on the continent know the history behind it?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:17 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Coulda been a guy named Alexander Lippisch.

Or a guy named Willie Horten.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:39 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,380 Posts
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46