HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:40 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Something to look again. All designs around 1960.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:14 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Oh bother! Just when I thought I'd invented something....

The designs in pics 1 and 2 are very similar to something I'm designing. Oh well, at least I know it'll probably work.

On a more serious note, thanks as ever for posting these designs.
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
In fact, the above show's a certain similarity of layout to this - http://retromechanix.com/articles/ae...proposal-1947/
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,902 Posts
Hello guys:
happy new year
Can anybody help to identify when was this flying wing designed
thanks
Sam
GrossRed
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:09 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,211 Posts
I'm not sure when it first was designed but it showed up in a 1948 Air Trails Pictorial issue.

It was his second try at it. The previous one had more or less normal looking tips instead of the "elephant ears".

With the new way that RCG handles previously posted pictures I can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste the attachements to this thread. But here's a link to the Gross flying wing article and plan scans I did for the Vintage forum a few years back.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14

And here's a link to the "old timer flying wings" which my Gross wing link is from. Lots of other nice oldie wings in the rest of the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post10750700
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:41 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
I'm not sure when it first was designed but it showed up in a 1948 Air Trails Pictorial issue.

It was his second try at it. The previous one had more or less normal looking tips instead of the "elephant ears".

With the new way that RCG handles previously posted pictures I can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste the attachements to this thread. But here's a link to the Gross flying wing article and plan scans I did for the Vintage forum a few years back.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14

And here's a link to the "old timer flying wings" which my Gross wing link is from. Lots of other nice oldie wings in the rest of the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post10750700
Many thanks fo rthe detailed description,very educational and good learnings too
thanks again.
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:49 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Hey guys, This might be a good place to ask about this... I've been looking for a set of plans for a flying wing called Leimberg, designed by Paul Hucke, dated 1959. It's a gull wing and construction looks similar to the second one in up in post #31. (high parts count) A thumbnail can be seen here - http://www.sam122.sk/fullsizeplans/unpowered.htm about half way down the page (hover your mouse over the name to see.) I have an email in to them but have not heard back as of yet. Anyone seen it before?

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:21 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Hello Mark, you can bay the plan from this adress:

“Archiv Paul Hucke”
z. Hd. Frau Marion Frank
Rosenweg 6
74420 Oberrot
Tel.: 07977-89101
E-Mail:ewald.frank-ob@t-online.de

And here is the plan, page 6.

http://www.antikmodellflugfreunde.de...r-internet.pdf

Heinz
Last edited by hastf1b; Jan 07, 2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Thanks Heinz, That is the beast. Wouldn't you know, I heard back from them today. We'll see how it goes. It is a very interesting looking plan and looks like it might actually fly. Do you know if there is more to those plans, or is that all there is? I notice a lot of reference numbers and no text as to what they are, etc.

Mark
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:41 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
In the column "Zusatz Info" are the "Nurflügel" listed, unfortunately without pictures.

Heinz
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Well, the plans guys got the Leimberg up on the web for downloading out of their co-op. There is a second sheet to it. http://www.co-op-plans.com/index.php...=595&Itemid=25 So now maybe I need to do a little research and see if I can't get an estimate on the cost of laser cutting (or routing?) the parts. With all those lighting holes it would seem that the ribs and formers are birch ply, maybe ~1/16?

Mark
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:26 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,211 Posts
A lot of those old pre-war German models were built with either thin plywood or veneer of some sort in lieu of balsa sheeting. Strip stock would have been birch, lime or similar "hard" woods that were used so often by modelers before balsa became more available.

Would you convert most of the wood to balsa or stick with spruce or basswood along with 1/64, 1/32 and 1/16 plywoods for the ribs and formers?
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
A lot of those old pre-war German models were built with either thin plywood or veneer of some sort in lieu of balsa sheeting. Strip stock would have been birch, lime or similar "hard" woods that were used so often by modelers before balsa became more available.

Would you convert most of the wood to balsa or stick with spruce or basswood along with 1/64, 1/32 and 1/16 plywoods for the ribs and formers?
Well, a couple of things, 1 - the design date is 1954 according to the plans service and 2- it's a Swiss design, not German. Aside from that small detail, sense I would be launching with high start IF I go for the build, I would use Spruce or Fir for spars, (I currently have a stock of Fir that was ripped from a board with a high ring count, ~14 per inch) as I will NEVER use another balsa spar system for riding up the line again. Balsa for TE, elevons, tips, cross brace and sheeting. More than likely Birch ply for ribs and formers unless I thought I could get away with Balsa for the ribs. I'd have to study the plans some and get a bit of informed advice before I did so. I would also think about laminating the Balsa sheeting and elevons with a CF tow disser for more torsional strength.

Just some thoughts, haven't commited to building as of yet, I'v got this little 1974 Eclipse to get out of the way first, but I would really like to add a thermal wing of some sort to my hanger and I am very partial to the classic / vintage / old timer designs and this one sure is a looker.

If you were going to build it, what would you do? (anyone / everyone?)

Mark
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:52 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,211 Posts
Ah, you got me I just looked at the poor image in hastf1b's post instead of the link. The more clear plan in the link looks a lot more like it's balsa and BIG! Which is what led me to think that it was one of the pre-war German designs which often looked much like the style that this plan is drawn in.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
So you think maybe going with balsa ribs would work out OK? Sure would lower the cost over all those ribs being made from birch ply. Still think I'd do the formers from ply though. Yes, it does look allot like a lot of the pre-war German designs and I would think it was influenced by them. It would be nice to find out some more history on it. I also see it is using rudders placed at the break of the tip panels so maybe it would not qualify as being a pure flying wing? Still, building it seems like an intriguing prospect.

Is it just me, or do those tip panels look to have a touch of washout?

Mark