Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:07 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
What a great little build. Looks sweet. Maybe we should all build one of these, just because...
You should kit it Trev.I've been making little chuck wings out of depron for the grandkids,some thing like this "RTB" would make a good step up to real building without the sharp bits.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
I wonder what the leagalities of making kits from 50 yr old designs is ?

After my move to Indinapolis ( starting next Tue - a 4 day drive )and after getting settled,
I'll be looking to add some interesting offerings to my collection of Foamys.
Balsa kits could be easily milled on my CNC machine.
And Fw's are certainly interesting.

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
I wonder what the leagalities of making kits from 50 yr old designs is ?

After my move to Indinapolis ( starting next Tue - a 4 day drive )and after getting settled,
I'll be looking to add some interesting offerings to my collection of Foamys.
Balsa kits could be easily milled on my CNC machine.
And Fw's are certainly interesting.

Bob
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer -

It is my understanding that stuff like this that is in the public domain (copyrights expired or never present) you can do with it what you will. What you can not do is try to claim it as your own and stop others from doing the same. When you make a kit from say, this plan, you are charging for the labor, machine time, wood, and maybe the paper and printing for the plans, Their is nothing however stopping me from doing the same thing except maybe your ability to offer a better kit and a better price.

Now I could be wrong about all this and if one was particularly worried I would recommend seeking professional legal advice. Then again, in business, one could always just go forward with the theory that it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. I've found that works far more than not.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
You should kit it Trev.I've been making little chuck wings out of depron for the grandkids,some thing like this "RTB" would make a good step up to real building without the sharp bits.
Stuart
Thanks for the suggestion Stuart but I'm from the' old skool tuff luv 'style of upbringing, so learning how to avoid blood splotches on balsa is an essential skill for budding builders who don't want spotty models!! These days with surgical knives and disposable blades as cheap as chips, cuts are more easily avoided.[ after the first time!!!] Anyway even the poor imitation that passes for balsa cement these days seals cuts almost as good as ye old Britfix or HMG

Trev
Crozzie is offline Find More Posts by Crozzie
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer -

It is my understanding that stuff like this that is in the public domain (copyrights expired or never present) you can do with it what you will. What you can not do is try to claim it as your own and stop others from doing the same. When you make a kit from say, this plan, you are charging for the labor, machine time, wood, and maybe the paper and printing for the plans, Their is nothing however stopping me from doing the same thing except maybe your ability to offer a better kit and a better price.

Now I could be wrong about all this and if one was particularly worried I would recommend seeking professional legal advice. Then again, in business, one could always just go forward with the theory that it is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. I've found that works far more than not.

Mark
I 'm not a law man either but I reckon that your right here Mark, and in a way that is the beauty of the internet and Forums[fora?] such as this where we can share our thoughts,ideas and globally for anyone to use without hinderance if we want to further knowledge in a particular area. Folk who want to retain control of their intellectual property and products can always apply for patents or register the design or at lthe very least claim copyright when disclosing. As you say, you can't claim it's yours if it aint!

Trev
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

I am in agreement with the current assessment.

I would never claim credit except for the CAD development and CNC work anyway.

It'll be a while B4 I get back on line and cranking out kits again.
But I might start doing the CAD part, a bit ahead of that time. :-)

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Stuart
Hi Stuart, how about this for a starter build for grandchildren, not too many fiddly shapes to cut and glue together[ not cyno, of course!] Should be pretty easy to learn about trimming a wing, and cheap .

Trev
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:38 AM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Here is one in Horten Style
http://www.twitt.org/Lili_Marleen.html
HortenI is offline Find More Posts by HortenI
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:00 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
Small catapult glider made of plywood and cardboard from 1956. Wingspan 185 mm.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,674 Posts
Ran across this Sky Wing the other day over on Outerzone. The accompanying article notes the toed in tip dihedral wing break that gives washin effect and eliminates the need for building in twist.

Anyway, I found it kind of interesting. Looks like an easy build and fun flyer. Bet it would go well with an electric conversion.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:31 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
As early as 1931 there was finished flying wings. Up to one meter wingspan, the wing consisted of steel wire and a covering of linen.

Heinz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:57 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,143 Posts
Heinz,where do you keep finding this stuff!
Wire and linen RTF! The construction would be a sight to see.Obviously a good seller if they made them in 3 spans.
I like the illustration of the launch technique.This method has been discussed here and on other forums recently; proof of the nothing new saying.
Regards Stuart.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:58 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Ran across this Sky Wing the other day over on Outerzone. The accompanying article notes the toed in tip dihedral wing break that gives washin effect and eliminates the need for building in twist.

Mark
That almost looks like Don Broggini!
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:01 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,400 Posts
It is!!!

I'm sure Don would be willing to talk to anyone, at length, about the possibilities for this design!

Find his # in the phonebook for Centerport, NY or PM me and I'll send it to you.
He has never lost his passion for Tailless models.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
With the permission of Kurt I link to his post on hippocketaeronautics.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/....html#msg98427

Heinz