HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
Discussion
Can you confirm 'c' charge rate please.

New to electric flight and have been reading about 'c' lipo charge rates.

I have a 3s 1600mah turnigy nano tech. Am I right in thinking that a 1C charge would be at 1.6A? The battery is rated at 5C charge which would be 8A?

My 150w ECO8 charger is rated at 7A so obviously not good enough for 5C but I would like to charge at 2C which seems to be quite a common rate for these batteries @ 3.2A

Are these figures correct?

Is it best to charge as normal or in balance mode (which is what I've been using)
thankyou.
littleimp is offline Find More Posts by littleimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:05 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleimp View Post
New to electric flight and have been reading about 'c' lipo charge rates.

I have a 3s 1600mah turnigy nano tech. Am I right in thinking that a 1C charge would be at 1.6A? The battery is rated at 5C charge which would be 8A?

My 150w ECO8 charger is rated at 7A so obviously not good enough for 5C but I would like to charge at 2C which seems to be quite a common rate for these batteries @ 3.2A

Are these figures correct?

Is it best to charge as normal or in balance mode (which is what I've been using)
thankyou.
Yes, your numbers are correct. 1C = 1.6A. Charging at 2C would be 3.2Amps.

You don't NEED to balance every charge, but you asked if it is best. Yes, it is best to balance every charge. Depending on your charger, and how well your pack stays balanced, charging may take just a little longer to balance charge, but it isn't much time at all.

Have fun flying!

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
Ok, thankyou for that. I have a pair of hobbyking ECO8 chargers 150W/7A running off a 100ah caravan battery for my field chargers. I'm going 100% electric with a mixture of foamies & balsa conversions. It's so much easier & cleaner.

Here's what inspired me to go 100% electric, a fly-in at a local club. Check out his electric spitfire with sound in the other RADMAC vid too!!

JOHN RANSOME FLYING HIS HEINKEL HE111 WITH V1 DOODLE BUG PARASITE ! - RADMAC 2002 (2 min 24 sec)

Amazing electric HE-111 with sound.

Here's the spit
JOHN RANSOME - RADMAC - SCALE DAY - 2008 - SPIT , 109 , B17 , RC PLANES (11 min 33 sec)
littleimp is offline Find More Posts by littleimp
Last edited by littleimp; Dec 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Wow, that is a beautiful airplane. I really love scale aircraft.

Your charging setup is very neat. I really should make something along those lines, but I still end up with a bit of a tangle of wires during charging.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
323 Posts
With todays cheaper LiPos you really should be balance charging every time.

A few years ago and also today if you can afford them, you could buy 'matched cell' LiPos that were truly matched in terms of their Internal Resistance. That is the measure of how much heat is generated in the cell and ultimately how much current it can deliver and is the reason why cells become unbalanced during use.

I don't think you can even purchase a LiPo charger that doesn't balance charge these days and because of the poorer quality of the cell matching in modern packs, it's always best to balance charge every time.

Although there are fast charge LiPo packs out there, charging at 1C-2C is still the best way for pack longevity. Charging at 5C is going to shorten the usable life of a pack eventually regardless of what is claimed on the plastic wrapper.
steveclv is offline Find More Posts by steveclv