HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2001, 02:22 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
How long have you been flying electric?

I've been flying electric since 1982 (way before brushless motors, cobalt motors, etc).
My first plane was a styrofoam 2-channel only Chipmunk on a direct drive 540-type motor. I couldn't fly it. The first plane I built and had some success with was a CG Gentle Lady (this was pre Electra kit days) with the same motor from the previous plane. After a few more unsuccessful tries, I built a Leisure Playboy (cabin style) model with a geared motor. I built heavy and used a heavy and large RC boat speed control, but it flew great! After that a Kyosho Etude with ailerons, and so on. What about you.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2001, 02:42 PM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
I started electric/ sailplane in 1997
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old Jul 06, 2001, 03:07 PM
Topeka, Ks
Joined Nov 2000
25 Posts
Just started building in december and flew in may. one of the greatest things i can do with my free time! my first ship is the "BulletProof" T-52. I'm so glad i came across this web site as it answered so many questions i had about e-flight. There is a soccer field across the street from my house that is a perfect size for the 52. It has a fence that runs around three sides but is open facing the parking lot of a elementary school. It also has a 5 lane "sprint" track that is painted on the blacktop that would make for a perfect runway once i get some gear made up for my plane. The only problem is i need MORE free time to spend over there.

Scott
s_sanders is offline Find More Posts by s_sanders
Old Jul 06, 2001, 03:11 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
A Sureflite foam J-3 cub with a kyosho mad science 17 turn motor a 3 to 1 gear and 1700 sub C cells.

I think I did this about 2 years ago.
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Jul 06, 2001, 03:26 PM
MotoCalc Developer
Moorefield, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
315 Posts
I started flying in 1994, with a Gentle Lady (as a glider). My first electric was a Great Planes Spectra in 1995, with the stock power system (on 7 cells; I can't believe they recommend 6 cells; I later upgraded it to a geared Magnetic Mayhem, and most recently to an Aveox F10LMR). Next was my Fred's Special, which is probably my most flown plane. Direct drive on a Magnetic Mayhem (Speed 600 8.4V and Goldfire also used at various times). Lots of other planes in the fleet since then.
stefanv is offline Find More Posts by stefanv
Old Jul 06, 2001, 03:48 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Nov 2000
196 Posts
I started with a United Challenger in 1990, soon followed by a GP Electrostreak.

shbrown is offline Find More Posts by shbrown
Old Jul 06, 2001, 04:16 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Built my first electric in 1985 - the old Moletech "Flittermouse" for Brits, as a review for RCMW. Battery, clockwork charger and motor nicked from a buggy, of course.

Diddled around with various indifferent electrics for a while. One bright spot was the "Ermine Slipper" (another spot of history for Brits). Not hot, but definitely a "warmliner" that could get through a Cuban Eight and decent inverted.

The first impetus point in 1993, when we got booted off our site due to noise complaints. Within a week, I had my first wheeled sports model - a converted 049 ship - and it took me about a month to design a S400 aerobatic model.

Impetus on moving to America was a mix of the DCRC site being too crowded on Sundays and seeing what could be done with an electric by the likes of Keith Shaw.

I washed off the last coating of burnt castor over three years back now.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 06, 2001, 04:30 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
I started RC in September '93 with a Goldberg Mirage 550. I ended up crashing and rebuilding it until I taught myself to fly (~1.5 mo.). The local club didn't seem to want to help me, that's why I did it on my own over a big wheat field for a cushion. I also fly a little bit of glow but not very often.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 06, 2001, 04:31 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
August 1996...Chicago Models Aviator.
Dec 1997- BGM Electroscreamer

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old Jul 06, 2001, 05:19 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Started RC in 1981, then electric in 92. First electric was a scratch-built Megowcoupe from Flyline plans with a Davey Systems Hyperthrust 075 and 7 1000 SCRs. The motor weighed about 9 ounces, and seemed to put out about as much power as a modern Speed 400, and the plane was not much fun. My first "real" electric was a Goldberg Freedom 20 with a geared cobalt 05 and the same 7 cells. It was a nice, relaxing, reliable flyer, but I felt the need for more speed, so I installed a geared cobalt 15 and 12 cells. Wow! I was really hooked! Then about a year later I installed a geared Aveox, and at 500W+, it was one of the few trainers around with true vertical performance.

Epilogue: Although I've owned and operated a couple of 500W+ airplanes, up to geared cobalt 25 size, I no longer own any motors above a geared cobalt 035. I have a Sure Flite Foam Cub that hangs forelornly in my basement, waiting for the 035, but I'm having too much fun with my park and slow flyers.

Tony Turley
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jul 06, 2001, 05:29 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
I`ve been building models for some time, but JUST started electric (last month). Bought a Merlin on a dare. It`s so fun, I`m building a scaled-up Comet Gull-II at 46" for a 300 motor. If it doesn`t work, heck..I`ll just stick a TD in it.

John Cole
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Jul 06, 2001, 06:09 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
20 odd years ago I built a Leisure Flight kit, with a can 05. Good combo, then put too few real crummy cells in it and had failure. Oh, it flew, but barely. So much for e-flight. If we only knew!!! Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jul 06, 2001, 06:16 PM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,570 Posts
1988 or so. GM Precision Thermal Charger...a neat looking airplane, average flier and NOISIER than hell for an electric. The wing acted as a resonance chamber for the engine mounted on top of it.

cheers,
Tim Jonas
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2001, 06:19 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Since the mid 70's. Anything form a Ranger 42 to my own designs.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jul 06, 2001, 06:32 PM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,501 Posts
Hello,

I began building flying models in 1974 with Keil kraft free-flight rubber models that my Dad brought home for me and helped me cover with the tissue . . .( I was 10 ).
From these I progressed to models that were not scale, had more rubber and really performed !
Then I got a Davis Charlton DC Dart 0.5cc diesel ( still have it - though it has an allen-head screw instead of the Tommy Bar, and is almost worn out ! ). I Put that in a tiny model copied from the Q-tee ( We've all know of that one, now ! ) but mine had a cabin to hide the radio - Fitted 2ch Futaba radio on rudder and elevator - built a new wing with extra rib bay each side to carry weight ! Lots of Cox 0.049 powered models followed. . .I then rebuilt the Q-tee copy for a new G-Mark030 (1/2cc) Glow - this was great !
Various different models - mainly OS 0.10 powered; even an OS0.40Surpass four stroke in an o/d 60" Trainer type - then in late '86 I designed a powered glider of 6feet span - this I fitted with a Spirit540BB motor from my buggy and the 6-cell nicads from the car were put to good use ! With this glider, I even managed to get my girlfriend to have a go at flying . . but not for long . . .
( now my wife ! )
Another, more 'Sporty' type model that used the heavy wing of a Veron Robot ( who remembers those ? ) and I was hooked !
Mainly electric ever since !
My main bonus for performance was the development of lighter nicads with more capacity, and of course, the modern ESC !
Thank goodness for the modern ESC ! All my early electric models had a miniservo ( FD-16M ? )with a high-amp microswitch - and an rx nicad too !
I have lost count of all the electric models I've designed and built . . . Most were Mabuchi380 powered - until the advent of the . . *Speed400* ! Then - well . . . .
My one lapse is a rather heavy OS0.10FP powered 5ch 3foot version of a DB Mascot. ( Full house, including flaps ! )

Keven.

[This message has been edited by keven64 (edited 07-06-2001).]
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64