HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Help!
Y6 Yaw stops working in the air

My Y6 yaw is stopping working in the middle of a flight after a minute or two of flying. It started after trimming of AL, but I doubt it have anything to do with this. The problem comes gradually: First when I start everything works fine, but after a minute I cannot compensate a large yaw movement if I make one. After few minutes there is no YAW at all. Everything else seems to work great. After flight the three motors near the ground are hot as hell but the three motors up are cold. Nevertheless, they all seem to work. I don't have a clue what to do. Does anyone have any idea, please?
kuutee is offline Find More Posts by kuutee
Last edited by kuutee; Dec 29, 2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:14 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i have found the most common mistake is flipping a set of props or ESC wires for direction.

check them all, i took me like 10 times once to catch that I had 2 ESCs wired for the wrong rotation and it would not take off.... just shake
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:49 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
616 Posts
Check your harness for loose connections and solder joints. This is what mine turned out to be. If any of your booms are cracked or loose this problem will appear. Earl
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
It is about firmware as I suspected! I changed firmware two steps back to the beta and my copter started to work great again, I changed back to 3.1.523 and the yaw stopped working again. So Hoverfly, if you listen, if you are up there, do something! I would really like to use yaw, flying an ap copter with really slow yaw which respons with seconds delay is possible, yet annoying and unsafe. Please Hoverfly, if you listen, if you are up there, bring back the yaw I had in the beta firmware.

I would use the older firmware right now, but the problem with it is that the GPS unit is totally crap with it. OK, it dosn't work reliable now either, but it is much better than the unworking copter killer it used to be.

And the problem comes severe when my 4S batteries (two 4s 5000mah) drops below 15.0.
Last edited by kuutee; Dec 30, 2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: update
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
And there can't be anything wrong with the copters hardware, as
- It works with earlier firmware
- It haven't been crashed or badly landed even once
- There is about three hours of successful flights with it
- Arms are made of alumnium and are not round
- I haven't changed propellers once - and they are all looking great.
- The copter works great in every other way, I can fly it without problems. The only problem is that there is terrible delay with the yaw (which comes worse gradually) after batteries drop below 15. In the end there is no yaw at all.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:42 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Ill have to look what firmware I am on ATM, my Y-6 has fine yaw authority.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:55 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
658 Posts
You may want to try this set-up as it works well for me. I am using the latest v3.1.523 firmware and my Y6 yaw is fine.

Good luck!
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Hoverfly, some cooperation, please. The last firmware which has a working yaw was 3.1.462 beta. After that the yaw dies gradually when the batteries are half empty. At least this happens with my heavy lifter aerial photography Y6 multicopter. This means that my flight time from 6,5 minutes drops down to 3,5 minutes using the latest firmware and using two 5000mah 4S batteries and my dslr camera system.

So some questions:
1) Will you repair the yaw issue back to 3.1.462 beta?
2) Is it possible to use the beta firmware with hoverfly pro and use the latest firmware with the hoverfly gps?
3) if this problem is not a mistake but a "feature", will there be an option to take it off from hoverflypro update client?
4) Will these problems be solved in the next week like they should?
Last edited by kuutee; Jan 02, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:19 AM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
That sounds very strange.

If you wouldn't write that it worked with the same hardware and old firmware I would assume that on your copter only one motor does the yawing work - and the less volts it gets the less power - and at some point it just cant compensate anymore.

I could imagine that a newer firmware changes the adressing of the motors and thus a fault in hardware (which was compensated and thus not noticed in earlier FW) - is now visible.

As dumb as it sounds, I would double-check the spinning directions and bench-test the yawing - motor per motor on the ground.
Does one motor get hotter than the others?

I got a Y6 myself and couldn't see any difference with the new FW.
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
Last edited by ed.ge; Jan 02, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.ge View Post
That sounds very strange.

If you wouldn't write that it worked with the same hardware and old firmware I would assume that on your copter only one motor does the yawing work - and the less volts it gets the less power - and at some point it just cant compensate anymore.

I could imagine that a newer firmware changes the adressing of the motors and thus a fault in hardware (which was compensated and thus not noticed in earlier FW) - is now visible.

Thanks Edge, that sounds smart. I try to change my motors one by one.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Changed motors, but it didn't help. I found though, that the copter works perfectly with just one battery installed. In other words, the extreme weight of two batteries is too much. For some reason the new firmware has changed so, that a copter loses yaw before it drops down. Which might be nice feature for someone using small and light copter and never fly near the end of batteries, but as my copter is very heavy, 50% of a flight happens on the edge of capacity of my batteries voltage.

So for fourth time now, please Hoverfly, could you answer please and return the yaw like it was.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:39 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Just to add to the list of how others copters are flying - On the Y6 I just sold it had no problem with yaw authority on latest firmware. I'd say the loaded weight with two 4s 4500mah batt., DW landing gear, AV130, and GH2 cam was over 4kg. This was using the standard Y6 HFP configuration. There are lots of other guys here flying heavy-lift Y6's so hopefully some more folks will chime in as to wether or not they are having any issues.

Shawn
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Jan 02, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
616 Posts
When I was flying my quad at 3237g, which is a tad over what it can comfortably carry (throttle stick above halfway at hover), I found the same problem with the new firmware that kuutee is having. Older firmware solved the problem but I decided to tear down the quad and look at all the components. What I found was a cold solder joint in my power harness along with one slightly cracked cf arm. When I put it all back together and flew it, I got yaw authority back but not to the level I enjoyed with older firmware. Reducing the weight to a comfortable 2168g made the yaw problem go away with latest firmware. From my experience I'd guess there is a code change in the yaw between 3.1.521 and 3.1.458 (the firmware I had reverted to) but George or Al would need to chime in to confirm this.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hoverfly Technologies
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Nov 2011
141 Posts
kuutee,

Have you submitted this issue to the Hoverfly help desk?

This RCGroups board is a forum for user-driven discussion of our products. Our technical team does read the forum as time allows, but if you are looking for a guaranteed response from someone at Hoverfly, the place to ask is:

hoverflytech.zendesk.com

Please submit a ticket there and I will be happy to direct it to Al and George as soon as possible.
hoverben is offline Find More Posts by hoverben
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
I haven't because the zendesk systems wants to know my hoverboard serial, and my board is placed inside of my Y6 so that I can't reach its back without destroying the whole copter around it. Which would take days to build it back. An unwise decision as I think it now. Maybe that is the next thing for me to do anyway.

BTW, my Y6 weight with camera and two batteries is 5252 grams and with one battery 4708 grams.

-- Ticket submitted.
Last edited by kuutee; Jan 03, 2012 at 05:33 AM.