Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:16 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
For those who wish to fly with higher-end transmitters such as HiTec or Futaba, another option is to find a module-based tx & use a Spektrum DM8 module for the BNF stuff.

I fly all of my planes & helis with a Futaba 10CHP module-based rig. FASST, Spektrum, Xtreme Link, 6-meter ham - or whatever they come up with down the road - I just pop in the appropriate module & antenna and go fly. Module-based rigs are future-proof. I can even fly a 2013 BNF plane with my nearly 30-year-old Futaba FP-7FG/E, if I wish. I can also fly them with my 20-year-old Futaba 8UAF backup rig, which has a number of important features that weren't available on any Spektrum rig until the DX8 came out.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
230 Posts
I bought a flight simulator a couple years ago for windy rainy dark nights because there are plenty of those here in Portland Oregon.

It came with a DX5e that I didn't bother to take to the field for my plane or quad because my cheapy HobbyZone/Blade radios seemed to work okay. And because all the raving about radios seems to start at 6 and above on most forums. Then last week I flew the mQX out of range a couple times and had to go fetch it out of the weeds.

So if I bind my birds to the DX5e, will I maintain control at a longer range? Actually one thing I'm looking forward to is the neck leash attachment. Any specific performance improvements I might expect if I make the switch?

Thanks for input.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Last edited by teflon97239; Mar 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:37 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,526 Posts
The dx5 is full range whereas the blade tx is short range.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

Jazzy
Do you remember the last time you really had trouble with a next step RC vehicle?

I know and respect you, and have learned many things from your posts, from leds to Sig Hummers. And more.

I had a jump from an S107G coax to the mSR. Caused some broken parts.
Jumped to mSRX . Had a few more months of repair bills.
Got the mQX at near the same time as the mSRX, and the mSRX almost hit the dustbin as a release/reprieve for the owner. I like it a lot now.

You don't really have to know what fp means, but without some more experience, the mQX might seem a bit tricky.

You forget there is no auto hover or recover. That is ALL stick sense gained from experience somewhere. It doesn't come from a coax.

As long as you can tell someone here to make very small short, short, short stick blips after blasting just a bit to get out of that darned ground effect, they might do OK. Now, if they will actually fly that way for a few days or weeks if needed, the other stuff that most younger guys yearn for, will come.

Keeping from the LHS, (Local Hobby Shop), will save you money. Easy on the sticks is how you keep from the LHS.

It's all easy til it isn't.

John in Merrill

PS AND the kinda dorky canopy is Terrible for Orientation and very flimsy and breakable if you tend to land offcenter or upside down. I switched for much better orientation.
I like the canopy...where did you get that?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:47 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
LOL, Dohman. If you think the MQX is bad that way, don't try reading the MSRX thread.

Flew my MQX for the first time outside since I got it in December.

WOW WOW WOW WOW : D: D

I've been flying my V929 outdoors since the fall but the mQX is just amazing in comparison. It's just soooo responsive and I love the AS3X flight performance. Of course, I have learned some bad habits from the V929 since my only crash today was because I instinctively expected the quad to level out when I went back to center stick like the 929... Oh well, those propellers are easy to bend back into their proper shape. Thank goodness!

This is an amazing quad.
About time you got am MQX.....next get a Hubsan X4, if you don't already have one!
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I like the canopy...where did you get that?
try www.parkflyerplastics.com for everything and http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=587 for the one I am using. It comes with a top and bottom shell. I am real happy with just the top!

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
230 Posts
mQX flyer here with some 808 keychain cam questions:

1. If I buy the $13.99 cam from Amazon, will it be a #3 like another one I had from another source?

2. Is there a cheap 808 I can get online that comes with a micro SD card? Which is the best?

3. If I buy the cam and micro card separately, will an 8GB micro SDHC card work in the cam, or do I need something more basic like a 4GB micro SD without HC?

I ask because I've had various digital cameras for years and sometimes new memory is incompatible with older cameras (HC in particular). I don't want to the make same mistake with my new 808.

Thanks in advance for tips.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post

1. If I buy the $13.99 cam from Amazon, will it be a #3 like another one I had from another source?

2. Is there a cheap 808 I can get online that comes with a micro SD card? Which is the best?

3. If I buy the cam and micro card separately, will an 8GB micro SDHC card work in the cam, or do I need something more basic like a 4GB micro SD without HC?

I ask because I've had various digital cameras for years and sometimes new memory is incompatible with older cameras (HC in particular). I don't want to the make same mistake with my new 808.

I used a two gig micro SD from an old smart phone. Wasn't sure about compatability, so I plugged it into my computer's card reader and formatted it to FAT32 standards. I also just got a camera on amazon too, one of the $13 808 keychains (probably the same one). I don't know the numerical significance of the cameras at all and I couldn't find an explanation online. The one I got (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), I just checked, is also only $5 now for some reason? Well, I guess i overpaid 8 on it. Either way, i velcroed it to the bottom. Video quality is pretty crappy, as I expected. I'm gonna find some way to get it to mount better.

I don't like the flight characteristics with it on. It still flies just no where near as agile, obviously.
mtheard is offline Find More Posts by mtheard
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post

The #16 true 720p is considered by many to be the best of the 808 cams at the moment, but new models come out relatively often. Here's a great site for learning about the various flavors of 808 cameras: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheard View Post
I don't know the numerical significance of the cameras at all and I couldn't find an explanation online.
This guy is apparently a keychain camera guru, among other other video stuff. Do a search for 808. There're firmware upgrades, utilities to turn the timestamp off and on, recommendations for reliable/honest vendors, and excellent detailed reviews (with sample vids) of everything.

http://www.techmoan.com

EDIT: Yep that ChuckLohr site looks really really good too.

I'd bet both those links together are far more info than you wanted.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Last edited by jbarchuk; Mar 17, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:07 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,186 Posts
You can get the real 808#16 at massiveRC - run by MassiveOverkill and JamesChen
Shipped from Florida, you can choose lenses etc, too!
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
59 Posts
Ok newbing away. What are your setting suggestions, low and high for my dx6i and my mqx. My first few "flights" have been miserabl trying to learn basic orientation. Now if i throttle up to around 50 ish should it now just hover relatively in place? Mine seema to be a bit of a wild card. Time for bed, i will search for and emptt parking lot or park with more size tomorrow.
Dohman is offline Find More Posts by Dohman
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohman View Post
Ok newbing away. What are your setting suggestions, low and high for my dx6i and my mqx. My first few "flights" have been miserabl trying to learn basic orientation. Now if i throttle up to around 50 ish should it now just hover relatively in place? Mine seema to be a bit of a wild card. Time for bed, i will search for and emptt parking lot or park with more size tomorrow.
I have a dx6i and mqx. flew with d/r on 50% for both elev and ail, expo on 15%. rudder leave at 100% and inh for expo. that should be very comfortable indoors, if not, bump down to forty. Its also very comfortable outdoors, as well. This thing on high rates the first few flights would be very, very tricky.
mtheard is offline Find More Posts by mtheard
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2006
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Anyone have a clever fix for keeping the booms secure in the main frame? 2 are secure and only slide with a fair amount of force, but 2 are pretty slippery and slide in and out freely. I've used a dab of CA in the past, but let's go fairly regularly as I do not use very much. I am trying to avoid making the install permanent which would impede future repairs. I upgraded to the Microheli motor housings which clamp on with screws, so those of course are now extremely secure
Yes, I use a little tiny bit of puddy. My wife has this scrapbook puddy stuff, I simply pull off a tiny piece, wrap it around the boom and push it in and it keeps it tight, easy to pull off and remove too. I figure silly puddy might work too but since I have this scrapbook stuff i am good to go.

It is called: QuickKutz "the Quicker-Poker-Picker-Upper"

It is a pen like shape, I even use it to grab the rotor screws when changing blades and it makes it much easier to work with instead of trying to use my fingers with those tiny screws.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Oct 2006
396 Posts
I am looking for a LED or some sort of light kit for the MQX to help give some friends better orientation when flying. Can anyone recommend one?

I found the MIA light kit but have not seen any reviews on it. I want it light weight also. That kit looked good but has anyone used it?
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR