SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Dohman, it eventually dies out, but I don't remember exactly where. Not sure how you have your settings for posts per page, but try picking it up like around post # 1500? (Or, do a search for "self-leveling" and then read AFTER the last time it is mentioned )

First outdoor flight in the 2013 season for my little mQX. Or perhaps I should call it my mighty mQX. I had thought the wind had died down, so managed to fly out 2 packs. But the surprise gusts (up around 9MPH according to our weather station) had it earning its wings while simply hovering and making slow maneuvers to re-acquaint myself. At one point a gust literally flipped it over and slapped it to the driveway stones on its top from about 3 feet up. No problem. Set it back on its feet and continued on! These things are so sturdy!!

I'm getting about 6 minutes of flight on the lipo monitor I installed, before it starts beeping. I also have the mQX lipo driving 4 miniature low-power navigational LEDs, but that probably doesn't make much difference. I had been using 7 minutes on the DX6i timer, so the monitor works out for me.

Has anyone tried to remove any of the silver paint inside the stock canopy? I have the lipo monitor mounted under the tail of the canopy, and would like to make a small portion of it transparent so I can see the LEDs better. But I don't want to damage the canopy with the wrong chemical to try to remove the paint. I would like to clear an area between the two black ovals on the tail.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
249 Posts
mQX with 808 #16 keychain cam

Hi guys,

I just got an mQX last week and figured out a unique, lightweight way to mount an 808 cam onto it that seems to keep the jello factor pretty minimal.

I've posted a couple of videos; the first video doesn't have the rubber band--so it has some major jello occasionally--the second seems much steadier (considering I'm doing orbits and passes in my yard . . .

ok
First Test of mQX quad with 808 #16 cam (8 min 24 sec)

better
mQX micro quadcopter with 808 16 keychain cam (8 min 35 sec)
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
Hi guys,

I just got an mQX last week and figured out a unique, lightweight way to mount an 808 cam onto it that seems to keep the jello factor pretty minimal.

I've posted a couple of videos; the first video doesn't have the rubber band--so it has some major jello occasionally--the second seems much steadier (considering I'm doing orbits and passes in my yard . . .

ok

better

,,,and that is?

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I don't know why people are giving you a hard time on this. The mQX is wicked easy to fly, I could teach my 100 year old Gramma to fly it no problem. It is also extremely durable, a perfect beginner aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6sEQctp70
Thanks for sharing that Jasmine. I found my next quad!

Frank
who needs to get a Spektrum radio first
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
Hi guys,

ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG3NI3kJQ0Q

better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNKhxIgFFZk
Second video won't play.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You can get by with the MLP4DSM for a little while.

The most important purchase you will ever make in this hobby is to get the best radio you can afford - spend money on it like it's the 5 to 10-year investment that it really is. So, you need to pick up a good radio before you buy too many aircraft or you waste your money on cheapo radios like the MLP4DSM, and you don't get to experience the proper capability of some aircraft, but you can get by with the cheap radios for a little while.
Well-put, Jaz. I agree 100%. Nothing is as important as a good tx. A well-designed, well-built multi-chemistry charger that's accurate & reliable is also an important investment, but it's definitely in second place. After all, an RC aircraft will only fly as well as the transmitter allows - and transmitters are very far from being equal in this respect.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Well-put, Jaz. I agree 100%. Nothing is as important as a good tx. A well-designed, well-built multi-chemistry charger that's accurate & reliable is also an important investment, but it's definitely in second place. After all, an RC aircraft will only fly as well as the transmitter allows - and transmitters are very far from being equal in this respect.

Joel
You said it, Joel!

Back when I used to fly my HBFP with its original Esky FM transmitter, the heli always acted up when I got out to about 70-80 feet, near the end of my driveway. With the DX6i, the same heli flies very smoothly out there. Plus the pots on the Esky sticks would get twitchy and need frequent cleaning. Never a problem on the Spektrum. And that doesn't even approach the issue of programmability and all it can offer. I would likely have abandoned this hobby had I not bought the DX6i when I did in '08. Night and day difference in performance and smooth operation.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:34 PM
Don't panic!
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2013
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
And the low-end Spektrum TX worth its money is DX6i. Anything below is either a toy or crap or both
vadimus is offline Find More Posts by vadimus
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Speaking of used transmitters, do you think it is worth getting a used higher end Tx, or a new DX6i?

Frank
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Speaking of used transmitters, do you think it is worth getting a used higher end Tx, or a new DX6i?

Frank
I think the DX6i isn't so good for experienced people. I think you would find it lacking right away. They have done a really nice job with the DX8 though, if you can stand the shape of the thing.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
Thanks for the advice. One more question, I thought there were other radios that could bind with these BNF products without using the Any Link. Isn't there?

Thanks,

Frank
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Thanks for the advice. One more question, I thought there were other radios that could bind with these BNF products without using the Any Link. Isn't there?

Thanks,

Frank
The AnyLink doesn't work with Spektrum aircraft, it's a separate system - you can plug it into most Spek radios though, and then you can fly both. Some JR radios are still on DSMX, and I personally use a JR 9503 with some of my BNF stuff like the Blade 130X, Blade 300X, etc... but I use my old-skool DX7 for the little stuff.

If it says DSMX, it will work with the Spektrum BNF stuff, so these high end radios work with like, the mQX and everything like that.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ode-2-JRP2930X (that's what I use.)

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-only-JRP12TXX
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,453 Posts
OK, cool. Thanks again Jasmine. I am not a big fan of Spektrum and I much prefer the two brands I have experience with; Hitec and Airtronics, but there are so many of these BNF model aircraft out there that it is just getting too hard not to get a Spektrum and give it a go.

With that said, I have another problem. Do I get a "cheap" spektrum radio to use with these BNFs and stick to my Airtronics radio for all my other aircraft, or do I go for a more expensive spektrum like the DX8 and start converting over.

Sometimes this hobby can leave you scratching your head that is for sure.

Frank

PS On a totally off topic note, did you see we have 147 MA Mentors volunteers now? How cool is that? If this keeps up, no one will have to drive more than 15 miles to get some hands on assistance for their hobby needs. What a great bunch of people we have involved in this sport.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Frank, I wouldn't convert anything, Airtronics and Hitec are still great radios, but you would have the option of using Spektrum on new stuff if you wanted.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:31 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,640 Posts
Im flying my MQX with a 9XR and OrangeRx module on Open9X firmware. Hasnt glitched yet. And does full house gliders and up to 17 point heli curves so better than a Spekky DX8 in my mind!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800