SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:29 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
in the videos it looks pretty stable. maybe its the experience of the flyer but i think you just changed my mind lol. even on low rates its a big step up from the mcx2?
Take it. With a decent TX (adjustable rates) you are able to tame it down as desired. Later it can rip the sky
Crashproof enough for an absolute beginner (as you are not any more), cheap spare parts (you can take every part from V929/949 clones but central hub and PCB).
I wish I'd started RC flying with this bird.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:34 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
damn, you just talked me out of it.

i guess i should go for the flybarred fp. fp what does that stand for? i dont know which model you mean. id like to look it up and read the reviews.
NOOOO!
THIS was exactly the mistake I made. I sunk a few hundred USD in 7 FP helos (and parts...) OK, I mastered them. But in general:
Too much moving parts to fiddle around/ brake, only a little movement authority, it will teach you near to nothing after 2 weeks of flying.
FP means Fixed Pitch
If you want to step up to CP any in some time and need a learner, get a quad, preferably the MQX.
If you only want to have some fun without fiddling with tiny linkages and still have a bird that is much more capable than your MCX2 - get a MQX.
Period.

-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Mar 07, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:49 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,639 Posts
I had an mSR but I thought it was rubbish, and difficult to control. The mQX is easier to fly than a FP flybarred heli IMO.

I stepped up from an mCX2, and while there is a huge difference it is manageable. I have a DX6i with dumbed down settings for inside, but I go full throw outside.

When flying inside begin with micro stick movements and forget about the rudder until you get the feel for it
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
450 Posts
well im just not going to buy it now after these comments. i see i am not ready for it and dont have the tools.

i dont have a dx6i for mixing or expo etc to dumb the thing down. i thought i could buy the bnf version and use my hobbyzone champ tx with it but that tx is very limited. i am not willing to buy a dx6i just yet.

i have to say i am very disappointed i was ready to pull the trigger.

im gonna skip this one
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:09 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
well im just not going to buy it now after these comments. i see i am not ready for it and dont have the tools.

i dont have a dx6i for mixing or expo etc to dumb the thing down. i thought i could buy the bnf version and use my hobbyzone champ tx with it but that tx is very limited. i am not willing to buy a dx6i just yet.

im gonna skip this one
OK - another solution:
Get a V929 or V949 RTF, ~45 USD shipped. MQX clones
You are able to change the PCB for a MQX later, if you should invest in a decent TX sometimes.

-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:21 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,639 Posts
Quote:

im gonna skip this one
The champ tx has low rates too, you just click one of the sticks down, you'll know its on low rates when the power light is flashing
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:25 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Dollar store timer and an inch of velcro. Chez ghetteaux? You bet. But I donít want to wreck any more batteries.

So I stopped sharing my cells with a 120SR that was really rough on them. And Iím going to watch my actual flight times with the quad. I know Ė how can I miss that?

So how long should I fly the mQX with the Nano-tech 600mAh 1S 35-70C?
I think I have my timer set for 9 min but I get bored wayyyy before that mark. The main thing is that the motors lifespan will decrease significantly with excessive run times.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:59 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
26 Posts
I say go for it.

I have an mqx and I use a Dx6i with the rates set at" push it around the house with a stick its f aster." I let my12 YEAR OLD girls fly it and they HADNT FLOWN ANYTHING BEFORE..
I think it flys a little better if you "extend" the booms about a half an inch and I strap a keycam under it to lower the center of gravity and actually it flys a little better with the extra weight. Not if you want to flip it necessarily but if you want to learn how to fly its VERY stable and doesn't tend to wander. Also I tell the kids to just lower the throttle and let it crash. I have yet to damage anything flying around in the house. I have swapped out two props, but they didn't even break.
Even at the low rates its more difficult to fly with the stock transmitter though. And by difficult I mean it flies REALLY well, but for a begginer all you need is a dual rate transmitter and set everything WAY down. Don't take it outside with it crippled too bad though it will get pushed around by the odd Fedex butthead driving too fast. A problem where I live.....
I can't say enough good stuff about mine. HOWEVER, I will add that I havent experienced any of the "common" problems with mine either. I don't know why except that I check the balance on my blades "easy way" on the aircraft and I don't do a lot of crazy stuff. I mostly fly around my house and in my huge shop. But we live in Oregon. so that's what you do when you want to fly here. Can't wai till AL-Nino gets here. Sorry Global Warming Al Gore joke. Couldn't resist.
Oh, and Al-Nino is mine. I dont care if you put it on a t shirt but pm me so i can tell you where to send my cut.
cwleveck is online now Find More Posts by cwleveck
Last edited by cwleveck; Mar 07, 2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: To help someone with a decision making disorder. J/K
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:28 AM
Woodstock, CT USA
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
Don't change your mind!

Quote:
damn, you just talked me out of it.

i guess i should go for the flybarred fp. fp what does that stand for? i dont know which model you mean. id like to look it up and read the reviews.
Brady, I hope you don't change your mind about the mQX. I bought one after becoming proficient with the mCX. I had bought an mSR and a 120SR also.
The mQX was much easier for me to fly inside in my living room, so I learned on it. If you keep the rates low and go slow on the controls, you will have no trouble getting the hang of it after the mCX. It is capable of moving MUCH faster and changing direction on a dime, but only if you TELL it to. It goes where you fly it.

I found also that, with no moving parts, it is much more robust. I put on more than 180 flights before I changed my 1st motor! Everything else is still original.

I highly recommend the mQX.

NOTE: I do fly it with a DX7 and DX8 radio. The RTF radio it comes with is not precise enough for me.
UncleBob is offline Find More Posts by UncleBob
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,820 Posts
I fly my mQX for 8 minutes with 600mAh Turnigy Nano-techs. I typically go for 4 minutes and then rest it for a little bit and then go for another 4 minutes. I also seem to suffer from ADD when it comes to flying. I need to take a break after 4 minute stretches otherwise I get sloppy.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Fp stands for fixed pitch, the most popular ones are the msr from blade and the v911 from wltoys.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:53 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:

im gonna skip this one
Here's the thing, bradymartin. If you intend to progress someday to larger and CP helis, at some point you will need a programmable transmitter. No way around that. Stock cheap transmitters really rob this hobby of its enjoyment potential (a.k.a. "really suck" ). And learning any new heli is so much easier and more fun when you can take command of its variables and set them the way YOU want it to fly.

I would strongly recommend the mQX for anyone, newbs to experienced fliers, simply because it can, with a decent transmitter, be anything from a "flying piece of real estate" at 20% Dual Rate through a quick an nimble craft at "full throw". If the mQX would have been available in 2007 it could have made my entry into this hobby FAR less frustrating (5 helis later) and for more fun. But you need a programmable transmitter to really get the full enjoyment out of any heli in this hobby. Otherwise it can be like trying to drive a Ferrari in only its lowest and highest gears, with nothing in between. I suggest you invest in a programmable transmitter before you invest in another heli. If cost is an issue, I can't vouch for the quality, but there is a DX6i clone out there called an Orange Rx (Hobby King) which is quite a bit cheaper than the Spektrum. You won't regret it.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:20 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:

im gonna skip this one
I don't know why people are giving you a hard time on this. The mQX is wicked easy to fly, I could teach my 100 year old Gramma to fly it no problem. It is also extremely durable, a perfect beginner aircraft.

Blade mQX Quadcopter Review (14 min 47 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
I fly my mQX for 8 minutes with 600mAh Turnigy Nano-techs. I typically go for 4 minutes and then rest it for a little bit and then go for another 4 minutes. I also seem to suffer from ADD when it comes to flying. I need to take a break after 4 minute stretches otherwise I get sloppy.
That would probably explain all the scuffs and dings on my bird.

Thanks fellers. I figured I was good for more than 5 minutes, but I didn't want to assume anything and fry some brand new cells.
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:00 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I don't know why people are giving you a hard time on this. The mQX is wicked easy to fly, I could teach my 100 year old Gramma to fly it no problem. It is also extremely durable, a perfect beginner aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6sEQctp70
(When coupled with a decent transmitter )
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar