HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:17 PM
Test Product Destroyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jbar! I put heat shrink on the cable because when I keep removing the canopy and changing it between day flying (large black canopy) and night flying (clear canopy for lighting), the magnet wire became too fragile. Enamel came off and I don't want shorts, so I built this. Thanks for the link to the CF arms.
Sinewavz is offline Find More Posts by Sinewavz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:05 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadman X View Post
Thanks for the reply Jbar! I put heat shrink on the cable
No I didn't mean the shrink tubing and I understand completely why you changed out the magnet wire. What I meant was that the cat-5 is a twisted pair inside an another plastic insulator. That's for protection in conventional use. But you don't need that grey plastic sheath just the twisted pair of wires. It'll save a gram maybe even two or three.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:15 PM
Test Product Destroyer
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
I got ya. Did that.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361823302.712343.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 8.5 KB
Description:
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Test Product Destroyer
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
As we know! Every g counts! Just took her on a flight (10+mph winds) and did ok. A little windy, but better than nothing.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:32 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadman X View Post
I got ya. Did that.
That's the motor wire coiled around the booms? OK, in the pics they're grey with extra sheath.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:28 PM
Test Product Destroyer
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
Yeah, that's the motor wire. Went flying today and flies well! Happy flying guys.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:05 AM
Australia, NSW, Gosford
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Question guys, ive been messing around with mounting options with the 808 cam.

I've found when i bottom mount it to the battery holder with rubber bands and double sided tape i get good stable video but it seems to effect the control at times, i.e move out of a stable hover and totally loose control when i yaw or throttle up or down quickly.

Don't seem to have the problem when i top mount on the stock canopy but to get the cam tight it crumples the canopy and i seem to have more jello in my videos.
Any solutions?
Stoxx is offline Find More Posts by Stoxx
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoxx View Post
Question guys, ive been messing around with mounting options with the 808 cam.

I've found when i bottom mount it to the battery holder with rubber bands and double sided tape i get good stable video but it seems to effect the control at times, i.e move out of a stable hover and totally loose control when i yaw or throttle up or down quickly.

Don't seem to have the problem when i top mount on the stock canopy but to get the cam tight it crumples the canopy and i seem to have more jello in my videos.
Any solutions?
Hi Stoxx
Why not just cut yourself a special canopy for camera use out of the bottom a plastic water or soda bottle. It's easy to do just mark where the booms need to be on the bottle and cut some half inch slits for them. A paper punch or soldering iron work well for the locking section at the top of the slit. Paint it if your kind of particular, or just leave it clear. Some extra holes for rubber bands or Velcro and you are ready. If you want to get real fancy you can get some gyro mounting tape that's usually used for helicopters to pad the camera mount.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Gosford
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Yeah i had been eyeing off a plastic soap dispenser i have but its 3 times the weight of the stock canopy, adding in the keycam weight aswell and im not too sure the little mqx will be too happy about that. Must find light weight flat top household item! hehe.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Some of the 16-20 ounce Aquafina/Dasani type water bottles are even lighter than the stock canopy. You only need a little over an inch off the bottom to cover your mainboard.

John
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Gosford
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Found a spare spray paint can lid 1 gram lighter than stock, flat top and fits the board and battery in just. Do you think a round canopy could effect aerodynamics in a positive or negative way?

thanks for your help John
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Found a spare spray paint can lid 1 gram lighter than stock, flat top and fits the board and battery in just. Do you think a round canopy could effect aerodynamics in a positive or negative way?

thanks for your help John
Smaller and rounder will help the aerodynamics. It will also greatly lessen the parachute effect the stock canopy has when descending. The soda/water bottle would still be lighter, but I would at least cut off some of the spray paint lid/ not use the whole thing. to lighten it some.

John
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMarty View Post
Well, I did some more testing with my mQX and you were correct about the timing. I found that if I connect the battery about three seconds after I power on the radio, it binds correctly. If I connect it sooner, it doesn't bind. If I fumble a little with the connection and don't get it connected in three seconds, it also doesn't bind. The distance from radio to receiver did not seem to have any impact.

I ended up partially seating the JST connector from the battery into the female one on the mQX (but not enough to make contact). I power on my radio, wait three seconds and then just push the connectors together. This seems to work pretty well. It's really not that big a deal now that I know what I have to do.

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:42 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Yeah i had been eyeing off a plastic soap dispenser i have but its 3 times the weight of the stock canopy, adding in the keycam weight aswell and im not too sure the little mqx will be too happy about that. Must find light weight flat top household item! hehe.
I used a small tub from soft margarine. After trimming away the lip for the lid, it was just the right diameter to carry my HK HD Wing cam. I cut a hole in one side for the camera lens to stick out, and another hole in the opposite side for the USB charging cable, so I never need to remove the camera from the tub. Punched holes at the boom crossing points along the top edge of fhe tub and slit one side of each hole. It snaps on the bottom of the booms just like the canopy snaps on the top. I added short extension legs so it can land without sitting on the tub.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently acquired an mQX, I also have a hobby grade charger.

My question is whats the max amps that I can safely charge the stock batteries?

They say 12c on them but I suspect that this is the discharge rate and not the charge rate.

Does anyone know what the charge rate is in 'Cs'?

The manual says charge at 0.7a but I am pretty sure that is only because the included Celectra cannot go any higher.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX