Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Jack,

I'm with the others regarding maintenance. I've got many hundreds of flights on mine. I just clean & lube the gears & bearings periodically. The only thing I've had to replace so far is a cracked boom - and that was 100% pilot error. Haven't had to use any of my spare motors yet, but the left-front is now a tad weaker than the others.

Regarding the Devo 10 - the deviation firmware is not factory-supported. 'Upgrades' are factory-tested & factory-supported; therefore it is a 'hack', not an 'upgrade'. I would never fly anything that I cared about or anything that was worth a lot of money with a hacked tx. Nor would I fly anything big enough and/or fast enough to cause any sort of damage whatsoever with a hacked tx. Also, AMA-affiliated club fields prohibit the use of user-modified transmitters, so you wouldn't be able to fly at any clubs or club events with it. Your call...

BTW - this will be my only post on the topic, as I have absolutely no desire to get into a debate about transmitters on this thread.

Joel
Thank you.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
I have 1,500 flights on the mQX. I fly very aggressively and average around 10 unintended stoppages of flight per flight. My total costs have averaged about $1.00 per flight. I have an essential tremor that makes soldering impossible. Despite my tremor I have been able to complete every part replacement on the mQX although the four little screws on the 4-in-1 board can be a real challenge that takes days.

What have you flown that is lower maintenance? I find it hard to believe there is anything that is easier to maintain.
Well, let's see. I have two V200D01's which have ten times more hours in flight than my mQX and have never had to replace a brushless motor. I'm just trying to look down the road based on what I have read here and elsewhere and it appears I am in for a lot of motor and bearing fiddeling and no telling what else if I stay with the mQX. It just seems a quad with brushless motor direct drive (similar to Walkera Hooten X) MIGHT be less maintenance. I suppose I'll have to go there to find out. However, the mQX seems to have become a very popular design.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Well, let's see. I have two V200D01's which have ten times more hours in flight than my mQX and have never had to replace a brushless motor. I'm just trying to look down the road based on what I have read here and elsewhere and it appears I am in for a lot of motor and bearing fiddeling and no telling what else if I stay with the mQX. It just seems a quad with brushless motor direct drive (similar to Walkera Hooten X) MIGHT be less maintenance. I suppose I'll have to go there to find out. However, the mQX seems to have become a very popular design.
Probably true, but keep in mind you're not hearing from the people who aren't having problems. My mQX has been pretty solid, only developing issues after a crash, and being easy to fix. If I don't crash it, I haven't had any problems.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:39 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Mqx durability and upkeep: Ive had mine over a year now and the only thing i had to replace is one motor,i swapped the front props just because i dig the orange ones. I dont post here often but i haven't really found a need to do much to the mqx and would rather not make it a mini money pit adding bling or other parts. I finally built a 450 quad and i can save the mods and tinkering for that since its brushless and more easily upgradable for performance. I probably dont fly the mqx,planes or anything else as much as some.. from what i see posted sometimes im sure many fly more in one month than i do all year but Ive either had really good luck or just haven't crashed as much as some because my mqx has been great and hasn't needed much at all to keep it flying,one brushed motor for a years use is outstanding in my book for upkeep on anything rc after a year. YMMV though .
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:30 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
I will more often than not forget to start the TX timer. Aging has its consequences. Sometimes I wish they had designed transmitters so that the timer always runs, and then let you set the alarm point. But it would have to be tied into each model profile, or then one would simply forget to adjust the timer.
Futaba (at least my 8fg) can tie timer to throttle -- throttle off = no time elapsed. And separate timer configs for each model. There's no turning it on either other than the throttle because selecting a model activates the throttle timer. There's also a reset that have to remember to do but that's it. I have made that 'fail to reset' error a couple of times but not 1/10th as many as 'forgot to turn the timer on' with DX6i

Another feature that DX6i has no clue about is that memory retains elapsed time when Tx is turned off/on. So, I'm flying, and go through half the battery. A Big Fat Jet pulls out and I'd rather land and watch it than fly, so I disconnect the plane battery and shut off the Tx. Later I can plug same battery back in and run the other half of the battery.

So, I'm getting Futaba --> DSM2 adapter.

It's not that I don't like the DX6i, I do. It feels and handles nice but the Futaba feels nicer -and- has a lot more of those useful features (maaaany more programmable options.)
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,184 Posts
Zoandar,

Transmitters with programmable throttle-activated timers for each model have been around since the early 90s. My 'vintage' Futaba 8UAF from those days even has that feature & it was Futaba's entry-level computer tx at the time. Not having that feature would be an instant deal-breaker for me. Nowadays, I fly all of my UM aircraft with a Futaba 10CHP + DM8 Spektrum module, and then switch to my FASST module for the bigger & faster stuff.

Many modern programmable transmitters have programmable throttle-activated timers for each model. For instance, the DX7s & DX8 have that feature.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:36 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
Futaba (at least my 8fg) can tie timer to throttle -- throttle off = no time elapsed. And separate timer configs for each model. ...

So, I'm getting Futaba --> DSM2 adapter.

It's not that I don't like the DX6i, I do. It feels and handles nice but the Futaba feels nicer -and- has a lot more of those useful features (maaaany more programmable options.)
The same does the 9x with er9x FW - separate timers, tied to any wished channel.
I'm using this with the DSM module for my MQX - set to 8 mins.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:31 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Once I get the lipo monitors and mount one on the mQX it will be interesting to see how what it tells me compares to using the TX timer. Until I got the X4 charger a couple days ago, I had no way to gauge how much lipo capacity was remaining after flying the mQX anyway. My use of the timer was a guesstimate at 7 minutes. Now I'll be able to actually see some numbers to show just how far into a discharge I am taking the mQX lipo. So I can also evaluate the levels at which the lipo monitor alerts. In fact, I can now do that on every one of my helis. If using a lipo monitor turns out to be hinky I'll let you all know.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,184 Posts
Quote:
Once I get the lipo monitors and mount one on the mQX it will be interesting to see how what it tells me compares to using the TX timer. Until I got the X4 charger a couple days ago, I had no way to gauge how much lipo capacity was remaining after flying the mQX anyway. My use of the timer was a guesstimate at 7 minutes. Now I'll be able to actually see some numbers to show just how far into a discharge I am taking the mQX lipo. So I can also evaluate the levels at which the lipo monitor alerts. In fact, I can now do that on every one of my helis. If using a lipo monitor turns out to be hinky I'll let you all know.
The specs are the same as the built-in LVC, which reduces power to the motors at 3.3V, and shuts down at 3V. Therefore, it will also perform about the same as the built-in LVC. LVC needs to be around 3.5-3.6V/cell if you want it to kick-in at the 80% discharge point at typical flight current.

BTW - LVC circuits have never been intended to replace timing your flights & monitoring your packs. LVC is only intended to be a last-resort safety device to prevent discharging below 3V/cell under load, which will instantly destroy a LiPo and can make it unstable enough to burst, and possibly erupt into flames spontaneously.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 17, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
290 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but I just found this lipo monitor that is capable of doing 1S lipos (as well as 2S or 3S, all in the same unit) for $5.95 - weighs 2.5 grams.

http://tinyurl.com/1S-Lipo-Monitor

Although I try to look at my watch when I'm flying, I'm not that careful or precise with my batteries either. So if I had this gadget, what would it do for me? Lights showing incremental level of discharge? Is that a beeper or horn on there?

Easy to install and use? I also use 1S batts on my plane, so maybe it would help me there, too?
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:42 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Image "Search"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanair View Post
hi all, can anybody help me find the thread were they used balsa wood and blade sr landing skids on there mqx, i saw it a couple days ago ive done a search with key words but cant find it again. thanks for any help
If you know the topic, I've found the "Show Attachments in this Thread" search under the "Thread Tools" menu handy for finding stuff. You can quickly scan the images and then go to that post.

It's also handy for reminding you of good things you've seen and forgotten ... and burning up lots of time.

FWIW.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Although I try to look at my watch when I'm flying, I'm not that careful or precise with my batteries either. So if I had this gadget, what would it do for me? Lights showing incremental level of discharge? Is that a beeper or horn on there?

Easy to install and use? I also use 1S batts on my plane, so maybe it would help me there, too?
Yes, and yes. As the battery voltage drops, it triggers an LED to come on, then a second one comes on as the level drops more, and moves to flashing. At the lowest trigger voltage it monitors, the LED flashes and the beeper beeps. I can't say how effective it would be on a plane, because that would require knowing how loud it is and how far away you fly. On helis I usually mount it so it is visible from the tail or side, and keep the beeper open to the outside when using a fuselage, so I can hear it. On the Doohan models I currently use, the one on my Blade 400 with fiberglass scale body is not very loud compared to the noise the heli is making. I don't fly at much of a distance here. But on a plane I suppose you would need to keep watching/listening for it flying passes by where you are standing for it to be effective. I would prefer a really loud beeper for a plane. I can let you know how loud they are once they arrive.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:07 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but I just found this lipo monitor that is capable of doing 1S lipos (as well as 2S or 3S, all in the same unit) for $5.95 - weighs 2.5 grams.

http://tinyurl.com/1S-Lipo-Monitor

Minor detail: I went to the web page:
http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Polyme...S+lipo+monitor

It mentions "Weight: 0.2 oz (5 g)"
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:50 PM
Test Product Destroyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
Also found $8 motors @ wholesaletrains.com for those that need a spare ccw motor...that means you! Lol

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361235015.522546.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 17.0 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361235032.821344.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 15.1 KB
Description:
Sinewavz is online now Find More Posts by Sinewavz
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:58 PM
Test Product Destroyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Feb 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Been flying the mqx without the body more often than with it lately. It just flys better in the wind and overall without it and i still have the original body from when i bought it last year so the body has seen better days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFtcOVQ3eI
Try something simple like this. Just the top off a Gatorade bottle and some paint n tape. It has held back debris from my board countless times!
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361235516.343075.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 17.0 KB
Description:
Sinewavz is online now Find More Posts by Sinewavz