HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Epiphany - I already HAVE all the connectors I would need ------ on the inexpensive chargers I am now using.
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
I ordered a Hitec 44151 X4 Quad charger on Amazon, together with a 12VDC 30A Regulated Switching power supply they had for a very good price.

Thank you all for the help and information!

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Zoandar,

You are most welcome! I'm always happy to help when I can. You made an excellent choice. Your LiPos will thank you, and that charger will serve you well for many years to come.

I have also been thinking about picking up a Hitec X4 for my small stuff, even though I already have a Thunder Power 820CD dual-channel charger. The ability to charge & monitor 4 packs simultaneously is very interesting. However, I've been thinking about the X4 AC Plus, which has built-in AC. I get tired of carrying my big power supply to indoor flying sessions.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:11 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Zoandar,

You are most welcome! I'm always happy to help when I can. You made an excellent choice. Your LiPos will thank you, and that charger will serve you well for many years to come.

I have also been thinking about picking up a Hitec X4 for my small stuff, even though I already have a Thunder Power 820CD dual-channel charger. The ability to charge & monitor 4 packs simultaneously is very interesting. However, I've been thinking about the X4 AC Plus, which has built-in AC. I get tired of carrying my big power supply to indoor flying sessions.

Joel
If the input requirements had been 18 A or less, I could have gone with the re-tasked PC power supply I have been using to power my cheap Dynamite charger for the 3S packs (my largest). But to get 20 A I had to invest in another supply. So I opted for a switching supply. They are typically smaller, lighter, and less costly by far than a desktop supply. But they also generally lack any sort of meter, banana jacks, or controls or indicators. Just a row of screw terminals on one end. So I'll have to do some customizing. But 12VDC 30A for $28 was too good to pass up. I dabble in hobby electronics, so it will make a good addition to my bench, where I also charge the lipos while working on other things.

Have you considered trying a switching supply? They work differently than a standard bench supply, so they don't have a massive transformer. I believe PC supplies work the same way, by deriving the desired power output through rapid digitally controlled circuits feeding short bursts from the input side to accumulate what is needed at the output side. Not unlike the pulse width modulation used to control our heli motor speeds. I've also read they are extremely efficient, and obviously cost far less to build. I am sure such a supply would be much lighter to transport for you.

Here's a link to the one I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Zoandar,

Joel
Hi Joel
I have been following this thread since it's inception. I have enjoyed your input and expertise in this and other RCGroups threads. It looks like you are interested in the Hitec X4 AC+ 4 port charger. I just purchased one on Ebay for just $119. It is refurbished, but it's a factory refurb and comes with a 90 day Hitec warranty. It's only disadvantage is that it doesn't have the 4 balance boards that you will need to really do 4 bats at once. You may have the appropriate cables already, but if not, Value RC has them for 5-8 bucks each depending on the model you choose. For my little 1S batteries I don't think I'm going to get nervous about proper storage levels, but for 2S and above, I think I will appreciate this capability.

Check it out if you like at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:3160

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Zoandar,

Thanks for the link!

I'm also an electronics experimenter, and RF/electronics is my profession. I'm quite familiar with switchers, but I try to stay away from them as much as possible in my house because I'm also a ham operator. A switcher would be fine for indoor RC venues, however. I also build my own PCs. I really need to get off my duff & re-purpose one of the RF-noisy PC supplies that I pulled due to RFI that pretty much wiped out the shortwave bands at my place. Better yet, I should find a 28VDC switcher so that I can use the full charging capability of my 820CD when I'm not at home. Currently, my only 28VDC supply is the 28V/30A linear supply I built for a solid-state VHF amplifier project. I also have a pair of Astron 35A 12V supplies and an Astron 70A supply - all linear. So, I've been dragging my 'vintage' EF Johnson 15A linear supply with me to indoor meets because it's the smallest one I have.

Guess it's time to modernize my indoor-fly support gear.

John,

Thanks for the kind words! They are very much appreciated! Also - thanks for the link! Looks like an interesting option.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:27 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Zoandar,

Thanks for the link!

I'm also an electronics experimenter, and RF/electronics is my profession. I'm quite familiar with switchers, but I try to stay away from them as much as possible in my house because I'm also a ham operator. A switcher would be fine for indoor RC venues, however. I also build my own PCs. I really need to get off my duff & re-purpose one of the RF-noisy PC supplies that I pulled due to RFI that pretty much wiped out the shortwave bands at my place. Better yet, I should find a 28VDC switcher so that I can use the full charging capability of my 820CD when I'm not at home. Currently, my only 28VDC supply is the 28V/30A linear supply I built for a solid-state VHF amplifier project. I also have a pair of Astron 35A 12V supplies and an Astron 70A supply - all linear. So, I've been dragging my 'vintage' EF Johnson 15A linear supply with me to indoor meets because it's the smallest one I have.

Guess it's time to modernize my indoor-fly support gear.

John,

Thanks for the kind words! They are very much appreciated! Also - thanks for the link! Looks like an interesting option.

Joel
So the switching supplies emit a lot of RF? I know they usually have a cage around them. I hope it won't cause problems for my PCs running in the same room. If you looked up novice in the electronics hobby my picture would be there. lol But I have managed a few decent project accomplishments.

You will likely know the answer to my question - I almost did not order the power supply because I monitor the charging of my largest pack, a 3S, and it has never pulled more than 3.2A on the cheap Dynamite charger I use. So even if I charged 2 of those and 2 of my 2S packs (each 800 mAh) all together on the new quad charger I can't see it pulling more than the 18A my current PSU can deliver. But the switching supply was a good deal. Do they specify 20A input needed for the X4 because that is needed for the X4's maximum capacity doing 4 packs simultaneously?

That's a great deal on the X4 AC/DC. I looked at one and I think it was $269.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:20 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Zoandar,

Regarding the X4 - you're correct. They spec a 20A supply because of the charger's current consumption at 12V with all four channels operating at maximum wattage. For instance, my dual-channel 800W 820CD needs a 27V 40A supply to run at 800W. It needs a 12V 40A supply to run at 400W. (Chargers aren't 100% efficient - hence why the numbers don't add up.) However, I only use a 12V 15A supply at our indoor sessions because I don't need anywhere near 400W to charge my 2s UMX packs or UM cells.

Cheap switchers emit a lot of hash because the manufacturers cut corners & only do the bare minimum filtering required by the FCC. Good hash filters require a fair amount of copper & ferrite, so they aren't cheap. The broadband hash created by the square-waves rides the wiring. If it gets outside the case, the wiring becomes an antenna, which radiates the interference. It also ends up on the house wiring so the entire house becomes part of the antenna. If you're not a broadcast band DXer, ham operator, or shortwave listener, you'd never notice. Only those of us who use sensitive receivers are typically affected - and then, usually only when the offending switcher is within a few hundred feet or so of our antennas. Quality switchers use high-rejection hash filters on the internal wiring so that the high-frequency components don't get out of the case. Communications-quality switchers come with RF spectrum-analyzer plots that show their noise signatures at a given distance in dBm or microvolts across the shortwave bands. Some even have user-adjustable oscillators so that you can move any interference to a frequency that you don't use.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
pittsburgh pa.
Joined Feb 2004
333 Posts
hi all, can anybody help me find the thread were they used balsa wood and blade sr landing skids on there mqx, i saw it a couple days ago ive done a search with key words but cant find it again. thanks for any help
cleanair is offline Find More Posts by cleanair
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:19 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanair View Post
hi all, can anybody help me find the thread were they used balsa wood and blade sr landing skids on there mqx, i saw it a couple days ago ive done a search with key words but cant find it again. thanks for any help
You mean they put skids on it like a regular heli? Interesting.

Did you see it on this forum? I can't find anything like that either.
Last edited by Zoandar; Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
There are pics with skids the middle of this page: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1589171&page=6

Be good for protecting a camera!
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Oh, I was thinking skids like those that skid along the ground on a typical helicopter.

I did something very similar to protect the HD Wing Cam mine can carry under its belly, as well as to raise it up so it doesn't sit on the cut down butter tub used to carry the camera. I had some carbon fiber rod from an old knighthead strut kit for a different heli. The stuff is just the right diameter to push into those little cylindrical protrusions under the mQX near each motor. I added a dab of 3M Adhesive Spray onto each one. It will hold them in, but they can be removed with deliberation if desired.

But where did the balsa wood come into the picture?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:46 AM
pittsburgh pa.
Joined Feb 2004
333 Posts
thanks for the replies, that link was close to what it looked like, he used a half inch piece of balsa wood under the control board and around the battery mount, then he cut the landing gear in half from a blade sr heli and mounted it to balsa wood then his camera, i kept searching but could not find, it is in this mqx thread some were. thanks again
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanair View Post
thanks for the replies, that link was close to what it looked like, he used a half inch piece of balsa wood under the control board and around the battery mount, then he cut the landing gear in half from a blade sr heli and mounted it to balsa wood then his camera, i kept searching but could not find, it is in this mqx thread some were. thanks again
this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design View Post
Must say it's a challenge to work and keep up with this thread! (Speaking of which, I was having motor problems (right/front) and found a cat hair wound up in the shaft close enough to the bearing that it was binding... Read earlier about someone mentioning this... flies great now!

Ok... now for bodies:

Here's a couple of sketches pointing the direction I'm heading with the camera body... based on the EyePod camera mount (There's a build thread over in the aerial photography forum), this one will be lighter and cover the electronics... The body will snap onto the frame with the four arms fitting into the small rectangular opening you see along the belly. The belly molding will have a recess for the battery aft of the control board to balance out the weight of the camera being forward and will house/protect the control board while providing vents for cooling... The FPV version will have a hatch on top to access electronics. 808 key chain camera body will be one piece...

Something all my MQX body designs have in common are the landing gear... I wanted a more aggressive stance with the rotors up off the ground. Later on for the scale bodies, I will remove the built in landing gear at each motor (The scale bodies will include molded nacells that will provide cooling, protection on impact and some aggressive styling.

This mod is quick and easy to do and only adds 6grams (I know I can cut 2 more grams off of that using smaller screws (my "magic drawers"... you know the ones that are filled up the edge with "junk" but you can always find whatever you need?... Well, mind gave up... I couldn't even find matching heads! LOL! I'll order them by the box for the body kits... (Shipping boxes are already ordered) The stock landing gear is cut and mounted on a 1/2" tall hard balsa block with screws that go into 1/8" light ply plates... If you want to try this on your own... REMOVE THE CONTROL BOARD FIRST! DO NOT DRILL OR TIGHTEN THE SCREWS WITH THE CONTROL BOARD IN PLACE!

The battery containment problem presented itself as an easy solution and hold the battery tightly. (Again, it the EyePod-MX camera ship body, the bottom rear body shell will have a molded internal battery compartment.

Ok... loooong day today... began at 3:30 pulling kit parts and getting nearer to completing the DaVinci foam wing cutter... Tresa's in the living room cutting all the plastic I vacuum formed earlier and being almost 6pm, I think it's time to stop and have dinner.... (God, She's great! What a true partner... humming away, Olfa knife slicing plastic some going into boxes, the rest into the recycling bin.... Think I'll invite her out!

Ok... if there's anyone out there that wants to go ahead with this mod and you have questions, share them here.... (There's a lot more photos (taken as if it were part of the build thread for the body), but I just got too tired to upload them all... (patterns too for the wood parts)... I can post them later for those interested.

Enjoy!

Richard
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:19 PM
pittsburgh pa.
Joined Feb 2004
333 Posts
thank you, neobot thats the one i was looking for, thanks again.