HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:53 AM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
There is a new US source for the cameras. An RC Groups member has started an online storefront at massiverc.com. He's a great guy and into the RC sport, not just a salesman. Good prices on quads and parts, with quick inexpensive shipping from the US. He is carrying mostly mini quads, but has 3 different lensed versions of the #16 cam.

John
Thanks, I will contact them. I think I want the D 120 deg. lens
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Best upgrade done to my mqx = solid carbon fiber propeller shafts. I don't know about everyone else but this was a weak point on my mqx. The shafts crack at the flat section cut for the gear to fit on. These cracks caused all sorts of problems for me. The main gear slipped crooked and burnt up motors, stripped pinions on good motors and caused bearings to fail. Also a couple gears fell off in flight causing a crash and a trip to the lhs for a new gear. The solid shafts are $1 LESS than the blade hollow shafts and aren't likely to crack and let the gear slip around. $12 well spent.
PS they are on the hop up list on Horizon.
PPS every single shaft on my mqx looked like it was cracked or cracking when I switched to solid, if you are having any binding it is a good place to look.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
How much difference is there between stock and the gws props from bangood? They were cheap so I ordered some and was wondering what I could expect the difference to be. I saw that some people describe them as giving more control and snappier response. Also on bangood you can get several different canopy options for about $2 each. The props and 4 canopies cost less than one mqx canopy and free shipping. It is almost worth the 4 to 5 week wait.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:06 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Found a way of balancing I hadn't seen mentioned.
Using tape, in order to balance individually I just unplugged all the motors but the one I was dynamically balancing, much more accurate. I thought it was brilliant, but other might just think "duh."
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:23 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
How much difference is there between stock and the gws props from bangood? They were cheap so I ordered some and was wondering what I could expect the difference to be. I saw that some people describe them as giving more control and snappier response. Also on bangood you can get several different canopy options for about $2 each. The props and 4 canopies cost less than one mqx canopy and free shipping. It is almost worth the 4 to 5 week wait.
The GWS should really be delivered with this bird (after some serious balancing!). The difference lies in the eye of the beholder - but is noticeably at least. They WILL give you a certain amount of more thrust and reduce the WOD to almost non existence - even if you force it. Snappier response maybe a bit imho - but as I'm using like the most of us a programmable TX - cant really tell - theres EXPO handling that bit for me.

The P799 canopy for 2 bucks is just a steal - even equipped with mounting holes for + config! Somewhere back in this thread I posted a pic.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Found a way of balancing I hadn't seen mentioned.
Using tape, in order to balance individually I just unplugged all the motors but the one I was dynamically balancing, much more accurate. I thought it was brilliant, but other might just think "duh."
AP,

I also balance the rotors individually, but I don't disconnect the motors. Given that it was my first quad, I spooled it up in my hand before the maiden & played around with it a bit to observe the operation of the stabilization system. I quickly discovered orientations that would keep each of the rotors spooled-up while stopping the other three. So, I used that method when balancing the rotors after watching my first on-board video, which was a real jello-fest.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
How are you guys balancing with them installed? I use a straight 2mm rod and two equal height blocks for each end of the rod. Works like a charm, I could see the ends of the boom wobbling in flight and they turned almost to a blur under throttle, but theyre all smooth now!

Unfortunately when I ordered them from banggood I didnt realize they weren't 2 per package, so somehow I managed to order 2 CW black and 2 CCW orange lol. It's all good, it only took 2 1/2 weeks to get here and I ordered more the day I got them. Hopefully they arrive fast again.
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:33 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Alex4R,

I explained my method of spooling each rotor independently in the post right before yours. I simply used a light touch with a fingertip on the motor pod to feel the vibrations. As you can see in my on-board videos, it works quite well.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:44 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
437 Posts
Cool canopy

Get them here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=418944
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:23 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Love the flame-job! I definitely need one of those.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
Best upgrade done to my mqx = solid carbon fiber propeller shafts. I don't know about everyone else but this was a weak point on my mqx. The shafts crack at the flat section cut for the gear to fit on. These cracks caused all sorts of problems for me. The main gear slipped crooked and burnt up motors, stripped pinions on good motors and caused bearings to fail. Also a couple gears fell off in flight causing a crash and a trip to the lhs for a new gear. The solid shafts are $1 LESS than the blade hollow shafts and aren't likely to crack and let the gear slip around. $12 well spent.
PS they are on the hop up list on Horizon.
PPS every single shaft on my mqx looked like it was cracked or cracking when I switched to solid, if you are having any binding it is a good place to look.
Have you got a linky for those solid shafts?

Switching blades around a bit trying various ones has lead to one of mine fraying a bit and I fear that next time I remove a prop it's going to fall to pieces so would be really interested in a stronger replacement.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:42 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
437 Posts
Here you go:
http://www.heliproz.com/MHEMQX066C-C...fo/MHEMQX066C/
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:11 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
i have a question, if someone could help plz,i had a crash on grass with the mqx and now one motor doesnt spool up till the other 3 are at full throtle! there is nothing wrapped around that motor shaft,gears etc.
anything i missed in the 6927 posts haha.
thanks
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH GORDON View Post
i have a question, if someone could help plz,i had a crash on grass with the mqx and now one motor doesnt spool up till the other 3 are at full throtle! there is nothing wrapped around that motor shaft,gears etc.
anything i missed in the 6927 posts haha.
thanks
Because its a pretty simple procedure (less than 10 minutes - less than 5 if you have done it before), I would swap that motor with the other side (same directional motor). If the same motor still spools slower, replace it. If the "new motor" in the same "location" as the first spools slowly then you need to start looking at wiring/board.
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:35 AM
sardis,bc
Joined Sep 2003
502 Posts
cheers jdr00ejr ill do that just seems weak to me as it was a pretty soft crash and third flight!
CRASH GORDON is offline Find More Posts by CRASH GORDON