HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:33 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
To get rid of shakes balance the props, that's the best thing I've experienced. You gain significantly in precision as well, just search the thread for all the different methods.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:14 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
I just got a MQX 3 days ago. I had no idea how much I would like quadcopters. I am so hooked now. I enjoy it way more than flying a heli. We held an indoor funfly this weekend, and I strapped a #11 keychain cam to it.
Towards the end of the video I collided with a plane doing 3D, and then I flew it up through the beams twice.
I had the camera mounted with velcro on the bottom, but the video was kind of shakey, if anyone could offer a suggestion for mounting to get rid of the shakes, I wouldn't mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McvA8c7Bdgc
Dont use velcro as its too wobbly. I use a small bit of gyro mounting tape but a bit of thin padded double sided tape would do, and a velcro strap tightened to the frame so it doesnt move around. I put a pic and vid earlier in this thread.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:07 PM
I've reached my critical AoA
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
So to date, what is the best battery for me to get for this? I just ordered the MQx and should have it in a few days. I tried going back through the threads, but it would take days to look, and searching also gave a lot of posts not related to what battery to get. Hope you understand. PM me if you do not want to waste threads...
G-Man is offline Find More Posts by G-Man
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:10 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
So to date, what is the best battery for me to get for this? I just ordered the MQx and should have it in a few days. I tried going back through the threads, but it would take days to look, and searching also gave a lot of posts not related to what battery to get. Hope you understand. PM me if you do not want to waste threads...
IMHO:
These
unfortunately status BK
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
I have a couple of those batts, never hit lvc with a 6 min timer. work good, just cut off battery holder and use velcro for cog.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:36 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
I have a couple of those batts, never hit lvc with a 6 min timer. work good, just cut off battery holder and use velcro for cog.

If by cog you mean center of gravity, I don't think in most cases that you should have much of an issue because one of the things that the AS3X stabilization does is keep the mQX level. If you aren't over weight, the AS3X should be able to take care of center of gravity issues for you.

John in Merrill

The E-flite bats are fine, as are the hyperion and the turnigy nano-techs. For availability it's E-flite, for price it's Turnigy Nano-tech.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

If by cog you mean center of gravity, I don't think in most cases that you should have much of an issue because one of the things that the AS3X stabilization does is keep the mQX level. If you aren't over weight, the AS3X should be able to take care of center of gravity issues for you.

John in Merrill

The E-flite bats are fine, as are the hyperion and the turnigy nano-techs. For availability it's E-flite, for price it's Turnigy Nano-tech.
It would probably have been fine but without cutting off the holder and centering them battery it sticks way off to one side because it is so much bigger. I have no idea if it matters, just what someone else recommended and I figured I would put it in there so the guy asking would know what to do when the larger batteries came and didn't fit in the holder. I have a lot of faith in as3x, I like the tap a corner test while hovering and watching it correct. If it can do that I am sure it could correct for a weird battery placement.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
IMHO:
These
unfortunately status BK
-mike-
Thanks,

CRAP!, Back-ordered in US.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,541 Posts
Quote:
The Hyperion 550s provide a 25% increase in available power over the stock batts, and they're usually good for around 300 cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade away. Plus, they're only $6 USD. Definitely the best performance & by far the longest lifespan of the bunch.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 05, 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The Hyperoin 550s provide a 25% increase in available power over the stock batts, and they're usually good for around 300 cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade away. Plus, they're only $6 USD. Definitely the best performance & by far the longest lifespan of the bunch.

Joel
Perfect! Just ordered a few.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Those turnigy batteries are good for about 12 minutes of hovering or about 9 minutes of what I would consider normal flying (forward flight circuits). I've got an 8 minute timer on my MQX and the batteries have around 3.8v left afterwards so always figured that was safe.

As for the balancing issues...well it's not really issue as it's a quad with a microprocessor specifically designed to balance the whole system. I also use those batteries in a Blade 120SR though and it is important to remember to get your CoG right. if you can manually centre the gravity on a quad though it leaves more capacity in the motors for manouvers so it's still worth doing in my opinion.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,360 Posts
Balance will not affect the flight performance up to a point, but if you have an off balance condition, it will cause uneven wear on the motors, which may be leading to some of the failures we're seeing.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2005
318 Posts
Got my mQX today, what a blast! Now I need to get a better Key-chain Camera, mine's pretty old.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:16 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,532 Posts
Quote:
Got my mQX today, what a blast! Now I need to get a better Key-chain Camera, mine's pretty old.
808 #16 or #18 seem to be the best and there are dedicated threads on them here if you search.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:27 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
808 #16 or #18 seem to be the best and there are dedicated threads on them here if you search.
There is a new US source for the cameras. An RC Groups member has started an online storefront at massiverc.com. He's a great guy and into the RC sport, not just a salesman. Good prices on quads and parts, with quick inexpensive shipping from the US. He is carrying mostly mini quads, but has 3 different lensed versions of the #16 cam.

John

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added link