SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:27 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The v949 light bar above is very small. 3mm on the short side.

And it has a resistor already.
aaahm.. I fear, not.
I had measurements done with the stock red LED stripes as they are more sensitive to over voltage than other colours and all kinds of flashing ones.
*snip*
The data with the OEM red V949 LED bar, freshly charged serial batt:

connected to LED-sockets (but motors not running):
V949 JR-WL-FD02R-1 2012/07/30 Rev02 : 24,0mA @3,2V
V929 JR-WL-FD02R-1 2012/07/22 Rev01 : 25,0mA @3,2V
At both boards the strip doesn't get warm.

Batt connected without resistor: 170mA (No wonder the LEDs getting burning hot)

Batt connected with 22 Ohm resistor: 60mA (still too high)

Batt connected with 62 Ohm resistor: 24mA (that's the one!)

All measurements were made with a cheap multimeter, so it is useless to argue about some mA. But the dimensions are right.

*snip*

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:49 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,368 Posts
I stand corrected...

I took another look and you're right. Only the solid red LED has a resistor. And looking at it, it's shows 4R7. Which I think is only 4.7ohm?

I assume it's design to work with whatever voltage the v949 board is putting out at the LED connectors.

If you're gonna solder directly to the main battery leads, I suggest replacing the resistor with more resistance.

It doesn't feel hot on the v949 BTW.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Well I've had my MQX for almost 3 weeks, thought it felt mushy and kinda dead feeling, but it still would move pretty good it just wasn't responsive like my smaller 1SQ. Outside in any wind, it seems hard to descend and all it wants to do is climb. Just yesterday I found out that there's 40% expo from the factory, so I dialed in -40% on my DX6i and wow what a difference! I think I'm going to enjoy flying it a lot more now.

I also just installed the microheli x-frame kit. Didn't realize it angled the booms up, seems like it made it a little more stable though. I haven't gotten to fly it outside since installing it. I also ordered the GWS props from banggood, I'm patiently waiting for them to ship. Heres a picture with the x-frame and an endless evolution canopy sprayed with Auto Air paint. I decided to move the "legs" out by the motor mounts, they fit snug in the little holes.
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:17 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,648 Posts
I wonder is angling all the booms up give a little "self-leveling" tendency.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:55 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4R View Post

I also just installed the microheli x-frame kit. Didn't realize it angled the booms up, seems like it made it a little more stable though. I haven't gotten to fly it outside since installing it. I also ordered the GWS props from banggood, I'm patiently waiting for them to ship. Heres a picture with the x-frame and an endless evolution canopy sprayed with Auto Air paint. I decided to move the "legs" out by the motor mounts, they fit snug in the little holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I wonder is angling all the booms up give a little "self-leveling" tendency.
Hmmmmm......... If it was an airplane, we would call that Dihedral, and it would tend to help neutralize/ stabilize flight, and make it somewhat self leveling. For some reason though with 4 opposing propellors, either fighting each other, or working together to do what your stick inputs ask, I am not sure it would have the same effect.
Interesting though.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hmmmmm......... If it was an airplane, we would call that Dihedral, and it would tend to help neutralize/ stabilize flight, and make it somewhat self leveling. For some reason though with 4 opposing propellors, either fighting each other, or working together to do what your stick inputs ask, I am not sure it would have the same effect.
Interesting though.

John
My thoughts, as well. Given that AS3X attempts to counter all movement not commanded by the pilot, it will also counter (or at least heavily dampen) movement that's caused by any inherent self-leveling tendency. For instance - if you put an AS3X brick in a 4-channel plane with lots of dihedral, the system will heavily dampen the the inherent roll-coupling & self-leveling tendency. This situation is no different in that respect.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 27, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
My thoughts, as well. Given that AS3X attempts to counter all movement not commanded by the pilot, it will also counter (or at least heavily dampen) movement that's caused by any inherent self-leveling tendency.

Joel
And I *thought* I'd read somewhere that even the vertical CG doesn't make any (much) difference on a multi-copter because of the way the motors keep things stable. I'm not about to search for it right now. Seems counter intuitive, but I don't doubt it.

If having a big weight hanging on the bottom helped then the HK "Beer Lift" copters should be super stable, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course this could be a "limit" case, because the flight controller will stop working too well when it can't speed up a motor (sufficiently) because it's already at (or near) the max.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined May 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
Just yesterday I found out that there's 40% expo from the factory,
Where'd you get this info?
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
Where'd you get this info?
There is a link in this thread somewhere to a podcast where HH was talking about the MQX, and they said there is +40% expo built into the mqx its self (not just the rtr radio).

Heres the podcast, they start talking about the MQX at 11 mins.

http://horizonhobby.cachefly.net/pod...ast_010512.mp3
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
And I *thought* I'd read somewhere that even the vertical CG doesn't make any (much) difference on a multi-copter because of the way the motors keep things stable. I'm not about to search for it right now. Seems counter intuitive, but I don't doubt it.
A multi-copter is an unstable aircraft regardless of what you do with it. Only the computer makes it flyable. It's not intuitive because we can't picture what's really going on - the quad copter looks like a weight suspended from 4 points, but it's not. If the 4 points were hooks in the wall or otherwise stationary, then CG effects would appear 'normal' to the observer. The problem is the 4 suspension points are anything but stationary they are constantly moving and their contribution to handling the weight is always varying. I don't know if you've ever carried a casket - but with 6 people managing one weight, you have a similar situation, and it does require intervention by the brain to keep the thing stable, while you would think it would be inherently stable because it's hanging below the suspension point. Maybe that's a bad explanation but the "quad copter is not a weight suspended from 4 points" is the important take away.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:42 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,648 Posts
No, anyone who has ever carried a casket knows the pucker factor associated with that.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:58 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
A multi-copter is an unstable aircraft regardless of what you do with it. Only the computer makes it flyable. It's not intuitive because we can't picture what's really going on - the quad copter looks like a weight suspended from 4 points, but it's not. If the 4 points were hooks in the wall or otherwise stationary, then CG effects would appear 'normal' to the observer. The problem is the 4 suspension points are anything but stationary they are constantly moving and their contribution to handling the weight is always varying. I don't know if you've ever carried a casket - but with 6 people managing one weight, you have a similar situation, and it does require intervention by the brain to keep the thing stable, while you would think it would be inherently stable because it's hanging below the suspension point. Maybe that's a bad explanation but the "quad copter is not a weight suspended from 4 points" is the important take away.
Good analogy and info. And yet I don't know how many times I see "low cg" and "stability" being closely associated with a multi-copter. Oh well.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2004
545 Posts
Quote:
There is a link in this thread somewhere to a podcast where HH was talking about the MQX, and they said there is +40% expo built into the mqx its self (not just the rtr radio).

Heres the podcast, they start talking about the MQX at 11 mins.

http://horizonhobby.cachefly.net/pod...ast_010512.mp3
Thanks much. I'll give it a listen.
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Well I've had my MQX for almost 3 weeks, thought it felt mushy and kinda dead feeling, but it still would move pretty good it just wasn't responsive like my smaller 1SQ. Outside in any wind, it seems hard to descend and all it wants to do is climb. Just yesterday I found out that there's 40% expo from the factory, so I dialed in -40% on my DX6i and wow what a difference! I think I'm going to enjoy flying it a lot more now.
Have you raised your Travel Adj settings? I have found those to be more important than the expo in making the Q responsive. On the DX6i the default Travel Adj is 100 and the max is 125. If it is your first time, make sure you raise them in both directions, for instance, you have to set the Travel Adj for the Throttle twice, both for upward throttle movement and for downward throttle movement, the little arrow is the indicator of which direction you are currently setting. I am sure many people have them set incorrectly due to the unusual manner of having to set them twice.
Please post video of your flying, we need more aggressive flying videos.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
If you guys are thinking that the MQX bound to a DX6i is mushy I really wanna see you guys doing some stunts.

I find the MQX to be super snappy on it's response on default settings, though I admit it's the smallest quad i've flown, but compared to the little helicopters i've flown along with a bigger quad it's amazingly responsive and if anything I prefer to have a bit of expo on there to dampen it off a little near the centre of the stick.

I'd also suggest that setting the throttle throw to it's max setting (125% on the DX6i) is a bad idea on a quad. The reason quads are so very stable is due to their ability to adjust the speed of those rotors quickly to counter any unwanted movements. If you're already pushing the most out of those motors it becomes much more difficult for the brain to keep it steady and you'll notice that it won't climb vertically in a straight line as well.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders