HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,628 Posts
Weird things happening with me too...
I put a brand new PCB in my mQX - now my ORX-module binds in DSMX-22ms mode

Newer protocol built in or what happened?

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
True, but becuase of the two cooling hole brushed motor life issue, I have flown the motors with four cooling holes plugged in reverse, they are still going as strong the motors plugged correctly, after one hundred and fifty flights, wierd and sometimes wonderful things happen!
From what I've seen in 4 years of flying HH 1s brushed UMs - there is no statistical difference in lifespan between any of the 8.5mm motors - regardless of the number of cooling holes or the color of the end-bell. Some last for hundreds of flights, others die before the maiden, while the majority are typically good for 100 flights or so. It is simply the nature of the beast when pager motors that are designed for extremely low-load, very low duty-cycle apps are used in high-load 100% duty-cycle apps such as aircraft powerplants.

Regarding reverse-rotation - you've had better luck than I've had. I tried running one of the normal-rotation motors in reverse on the Mossie when the Mossie motors were on backorder. It started acting up after only 20 flights, so I swapped it for the proper motor. Given the large variability in longevity even when they're running in the designed direction, it is impossible to determine if the short life was simply due to the normal variability that we've seen over the years, or if it was due to reverse-rotation. One would need a rather large sample-size to determine this with any confidence.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
Well it might not have been cooling holes, but was merely a way to identify. I don't know if people still have this issue, but many of had black and white wire motors dying all the time and the red and blue wire motors having a normal lifespan, so in place I just run the red and blue motors in reverse. I'm not saying this works for all pager motors, but something about those red blue wire motors make them last really long.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
323 Posts
Thanks for the brief on LVC, puffy batteries, maintenance, etc. With a plane and 2 helos, I've been delusional about keeping things blissfully uncomplicated. I see now that's not an option. Time to learn some discipline with the new Nanos that will appear in my mailbox any day.

First, I have to pay better attention to my watch. Without a nice feature-laden radio, I'll need to find a little timer at Dollar Tree to keep me honest. It's soooo easy to just keep flying, but you guys already know that.

And a decent charger that measures "put-back" is now a priority.

Too bad the blue light doesn't flash 30 seconds before LVC!
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,641 Posts
The shorter your flights the longer your lipo lifespan as a general rule! And dont leave them fully charged for long periods either. My electric bicycle has a $350 lipo so I take good care of that!
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi Jake
They seem to be the same 8 X 20 mm size motors, and even the main plastic gear seems about the same size, but the brass motor pinion gear is different. The mSR has only 8 cogs, if my weak eyesight is true, the mQX has 11 cogs. The mQX brass pinion looks bigger around and would likely need to be used on the mSR motor to work. Then there is that unsure matter of motor brush orientation. The brushes are flipped in the mQX motors for clockwise or counterclockwise rotation, (some have claimed some success running them backwards to their design). It might be worth a try if you are desparate and can make the pinion swap.

John in Merrill

PS I would probably find a LHS near you that has the right motor with the correct pinion. My pinion puller is kind of iffy on those tiny motors.

I went to my LHS and picked one up this morning....installed it and I am in the air again!! Yea!
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Back in the air again!

My Movie5 (1 min 45 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
CAUTION:
THIS POST INCLUDES GRAPHIC DISCUSSION OF CAT PUKE
READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

I usually leave my mQX on my kitchen counter so that it is readily available. BTW, I donít use canopies.

One morning a couple weeks ago, I found that overnight one of my cats had puked right on the mQX control board; he couldnít have hit it any better and he completely covered it. It was still very moist, and chunky, when I found it, there was just a very small area dried around the outer edges. So I realized the best thing I could do was to rinse it off under the kitchen faucet. So I did, and I rinsed it well. I even used a paper towel as a wash rag to get the crusty bits around the edges.Then I let it sit and dry.

It flies great.

Damn, I love my mQX.

My cat, well, he is on the s### list.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:51 AM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Humm, I'm suspecting that the cat my be jealous of all the attention your giving the mQX, and it probably doesn't enjoy getting chased around the house by it either. To be safe I'd recommend keeping the canopy on at all times.
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:24 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,641 Posts
I keep all my models away from the cat. Last thing I want is to have cat scent rubbed on them! Chasing the cat around with the mqx could be fun.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
CAUTION:
THIS POST INCLUDES GRAPHIC DISCUSSION OF CAT PUKE
READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

I usually leave my mQX on my kitchen counter so that it is readily available. BTW, I donít use canopies.

One morning a couple weeks ago, I found that overnight one of my cats had puked right on the mQX control board; he couldnít have hit it any better and he completely covered it. It was still very moist, and chunky, when I found it, there was just a very small area dried around the outer edges. So I realized the best thing I could do was to rinse it off under the kitchen faucet. So I did, and I rinsed it well. I even used a paper towel as a wash rag to get the crusty bits around the edges.Then I let it sit and dry.

It flies great.

Damn, I love my mQX.

My cat, well, he is on the s### list.
So now, your MQX has 9 Lives?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:50 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Now 8. Cat puke death must have been an horrible one.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
Up, up & away...
USA, CA, Orinda
Joined Nov 2005
265 Posts
My mQX vibrates to no end!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that some hot air can unwarp your props.

eflyingman is offline Find More Posts by eflyingman
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I've seen those props in so many of the videos here on the forums and on YouTube. I wondered how you could make them. Thanks!
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:59 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Hey guys. Do any of you know if the eflite 500mah battery can be charged at .7A?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68