HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
I have 4 of the variable rate chargers and they all charge to different voltages. Here are the different end voltages...
4.22, 4.20, 4.18, 4.175

Voltages were checked as soon as charge was finished and the voltages are always the same on each of the chargers no matter what battery I use. Used a Hyperion board and my Fluke 287 for testing. So in my experience they are not all calibrated for 4.2v.
As long as you do not calibrate them by yourself first (what you always should do - according to the manual) - no surprise with your readings.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Where in manual does it say how to calibrate variable rate charger?

Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:44 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Where in manual does it say how to calibrate variable rate charger?
Oh - sorry - I thought you talked about Bantam type chargers.
You can't calibrate Celectra chargers, of course. I beg your pardon.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:51 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Dang it... I thought I was going to learn something new
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:58 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Dang it... I thought I was going to learn something new
But, hey, at least you have a top-notch-400-bucks-multimeter Congrats!
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:03 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Good one... LOL
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
I think I have an issue with my charger. I bought a spare eFlite battery with the MQX and use a timer on my phone to keep flight times at 8 minutes of mild indoor flight. Despite that, both my batteries no longer pick up charge. As as soon as I plug either into the eFlite charger and push the button to initiate charge, it starts flashing all its lights as if the charge is complete.

Has anyone else experienced this? Since both batteries cause it, I am assuming it is the charger.
I had three of the Celectra chargers die on me in 2012. Two of them do the exact same thing as you describe. The other one has a normal flashing light but it does not charge the battery at all.

Time to buy a decent charger.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
The stock charger isn't unreliable.
I had three stock chargers die on me in 2012. They each had less than 200 charges on them.

Our opinions obviously differ.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:31 PM
United States, AL, Harvest
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
For those who are serious about this hobby, the two very most important investments are a quality, full-featured computer tx & an accurate multi-chemistry charger that displays charge/discharge data. An RC aircraft can only fly as well as the transmitter allows. There are massive differences between cheaply-made entry-level rigs & high-quality hobby-grade rigs when it comes to flight-performance & build-quality. A quality charger will quickly pay for itself in battery savings alone.

If you are serious about the hobby, do yourself two huge favors - buy all the transmitter you can afford, and buy an accurate multi-chemistry charger. You will thank yourself many, many times over the years.

Also - if you want a higher thrust-to-weight, faster charging, and the best cycle-life - simply pick up some Hyperion 550s. They produce more power, they're good for around 300 cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade away, and they're only 6 bucks.

Joel
That sounds like excellent advice. I am new to the hobby as of Christmas, when my boys got IR helicopters. We had two break within a few days, so now there is only one working, and IR is rather, well, suboptimal for outdoor use. :-) So my youngest, who is 6, and I, who am 47, are flying a Mini Pet(his) and a V202(mine) 2.4ghz mini quads.

Unfortunately the mini quads cannot use other transmitters. At some point I want to fly other quads, as well as helis, and I have been looking at transmitters. What is your opinion of the Devo 10? I would be planning to run the Deviation firmware to get Spektrum compatibility, as there are several Blade helis that look nice, as well as the MQX. I would love to get a really high quality radio, but like most people there will be limits to how much I can spend. Being a geek, hardware and software hacking appeals to me, and I can spend a lot more in time than I can in money, so I like the idea of upgrading the firmware to get more functionality. How does the Devo 10 rate in terms of hardware? It seems to offer a great deal of function for a lot less than some higher-end brand names, or even the color touchscreen models from Walkera.
I love gadgets, but color touch screens sound like a bad idea for outdoor use.

What constitutes a good charger? Specific suggestions would be good, as looking for a list of features is nice, but one cannot tell how good something is from the ads. :-)

I understand buying quality up front, rather than buying junk repeatedly. I don't have a hard number for a budget at this point. Basically, the required money will determine how long it will take me to save up to get something, so I will have to be content with whatever I have until I can afford the next step. Right now I have spent my Christmas money, so I can't do anything for the next couple of months, but I want to make a plan for where I am going down the road. I have no interest in holy wars over brands, just in learning what I am really going to need going forward. Having no investment in anything in particular yet I hope will be a Good Thing, as I would like to spend the money only once.

Thanks in advance!
Arnie Elkins
arnieelkins is offline Find More Posts by arnieelkins
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Arnie,

Welcome to the hobby!

I'm not familiar with the Devo tx, so I don't know how it compares to, say, a DX7s, DX8, or my Futaba 10CHP - which have ball-bearing gimbals, high-reliability switches, low latency, and low jitter. The chargers I'd recommend depend upon where you plan to go with the hobby. There are many choices. Here are a few.

I use a Thunder Power 820CD, It supports 8s packs, and it has two independent channels that are limited to 20A & 400W each on 28V, or 20A & 200W each on 12V. To take advantage of the full 400W/channel at home, you'd need a 28V 40A supply. A 12V 40A supply is required to get the full 200W/channel.

If you want the higher power, but don't need two independent channels, the CellPro 10XP would be a great choice. It supports one 10s pack or two 5s packs, and it is limited to 15A & 600W on a 30V supply, or 15A & 234W on a 12V supply. You can also graph the performance of your packs & track them over time on your PC. You'd need a 28V 30A supply to take advantage of the full 600W, or a 12V 30A supply to get the full 245W.

If you plan to fly larger planes & helis, the above chargers are excellent choices. However - if you don't plan on flying larger aircraft, the chargers above are major overkill. If you plan to stay with the smaller stuff, here are a few I'd recommend:

If your budget allows, and if you'd like a full-featured charger with four independent channels & a built-in AC supply, I suggest the Hitec X4 AC+4. It has four 6A 50W channels & it supports 6s packs. You can also charge four different types of packs simultaneously, if you wish. Plus, you can graph the performance of your packs & track them over time on your PC.
If you want the above features, but built-in AC isn't important, the Hitec X4 80 would be a good choice. It has the same features as the AC+4, except it has four 6A 80W channels, and it requires a 12-15V 30A supply.

If you're on a tighter budget, but still want built-in AC, I suggest the Thunder Power TP610C AC/DC. It supports 6s packs, and it is limited to 10A & 80W.
If built-in AC isn't important, I suggest the I suggest the Thunder Power TP610C. It has the same specs as the AC/DC version. You'd also need a 12V 10A supply.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:30 AM
United States, AL, Harvest
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Joel,

Awesome! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks so much!

Arnie
arnieelkins is offline Find More Posts by arnieelkins
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,996 Posts
The Devo transmitters and receivers are Walkera only - THIS week! Anybody who has any Walkera heli knows they are constantly changing their transmitters. You end up with a collection of them; the exact opposite of what you would like.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The Devo transmitters and receivers are Walkera only - THIS week! Anybody who has any Walkera heli knows they are constantly changing their transmitters. You end up with a collection of them; the exact opposite of what you would like.
I'm happy to show you an existing solution for this:
http://www.deviationtx.com/
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnieelkins View Post
Joel,

Awesome! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thanks so much!

Arnie
Arnie,

You're welcome! I'm always happy to help where I can. Regarding the transmitter - I'm also a big fan of open-architecture design. However - in this case, I recommend sticking with a major brand that has a track-record of producing high-quality, well-built transmitters & providing great customer support. If Spektrum compatibility is important, I suggest the DX7s or DX8. If you want more flexibility, pick up a module-based Futaba 10CAP/CHP & a Spektrum DM8 module. That's what I did. I can fly Spektrum, FASST, XtremeLink, 72 MHz FM, 6 meter ham, and others - while using a highly-acclaimed transmitter from a major manufacturer. The downside is that I don't get the telemetry features of the latest Spektrum rigs - such DX7s & DX8.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:09 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Nice vid Jake. And quite a nice collection there on the shelf.
Thanks...I am getting better and flying indoors....too cold and windy outside.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131