HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:25 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,294 Posts
Camera

Would this be a good camera for the MQX????

http://www.sears.com/muffinman-tiny-...&blockType=G18
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
The advertisement specifies the weight as equivalent to 6 M&Ms, but is that plain chocolate or with peanuts? It clarifies the weight as 14 grams which is favorable, especially if one is able to shed additional weight by removing case or covers, as is often done with the keychain cams. Quality of the video will only be determined by seeing a sample recording, obviously.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
At amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/MuffinMan-Spyg.../dp/B005VSUL0U

Ten dollars less expensive as well.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:02 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
At amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/MuffinMan-Spyg.../dp/B005VSUL0U

Ten dollars less expensive as well.
Weight seems OK but its dimensions are big so you will need extended landing gear if you want it strapped underneath. My 808 keychain fits underneath (just) without extending the landing gear though I must admit it shut itself off when flying a few days back when I touched down a bit heavy causing the stop filming button to depress!

Also it seems to be 4 x 3 aspect ratio video which seems old fashioned.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
It's not true HD, that's why it's 4:3. The cheap cams out there that claim to be HD, aren't. If it's less than about 38-40 bucks, it's a fake.

If you want a good micro cam, get the 808 #16. It's the best true 720 HD keychain-sized cam out there, and it has zero dropped frames (dropped frames are a really, really bad thing). It weighs 17g, and the mQC carries it easily. It has interchangeable lens modules, a user-replaceable battery that uses the same connector as the 1s UM planes, and you can flip the video & adjust many parameters via software. It's available for only 40 bucks: http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365

See my blog for some video examples, including some on-board from the mQX. Or, see my YouTube channel for lots of 808 #16 videos: http://www.youtube.com//MrTurboparker

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshoopman View Post
I just bought my MQX last week and since then have started reading this thread, however I'm only up to page 90. (Jan of 2012)
I was just wondering at what point Blade started including the 25c battery?
I have managed 78 so far, you're beating me
FunkyCowie is offline Find More Posts by FunkyCowie
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:24 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,028 Posts
MQX Payload

I posted this quite a while back. Many had questions about what cams could possibly be used with the mqx and i was curious myself so i did some tests. Ideally 16g or less of weight can be carried well without sacrificing flight performance much but the lighter the better. Ive only flown mine with one of the older 808 cams without removing the case but the newer HD version would be cool and you can cut the weight down without the case and lipo in the cam. This was on the stock 12c 500mah 1s lipo but eventually id like to try some 25c 330mah and 220mah packs for non camera flights in the yard.

Blade MQX Quadcopter How Much Can It Lift (5 min 54 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:17 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Hi all, after playing with the V929 quad for a few months, I thought it was time I checked out the mQX. Picked one up from HH via Amazon (had a decent discount from list price I guess) and will be buzzing it around indoors for a few months. Can't wait for spring to see about learning to loop this guy!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
I know I am about to get yelled at but can you use a 2s battery on a mqx. I found some in a closet with the same connector and charged them up. I didn't have a lot of time but I tried one and it flew but was definately acting wierd. I quickly put a normal stock battery in and it flew fine so I don't think I did permanent damage but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have seen people mentioning interchanging between 2s and 3s, why not 1s and 2s.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:18 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,028 Posts
I wouldn't suggest it,im not sure if any specs are even posted on the flight control board the mqx uses. With planes and larger quads etc you can use multiple cell counts if your amp draw is still within the esc's rating. I wouldn't chance it myself with the mqx since everything is integrated into one board. The problem with using a higher cell count in something designed to use 1s lipos is your doubling the voltage and still using the same props.. amps will go way up. When amps go way up it generates a lot of heat that can fry esc components. I have some small suitable size packs myself that are 2 and 3 cell but im just gonna disassemble them and add connectors for each separate cell to make a few extra 1s packs.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:52 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
I know I am about to get yelled at but can you use a 2s battery on a mqx. I found some in a closet with the same connector and charged them up. I didn't have a lot of time but I tried one and it flew but was definately acting wierd. I quickly put a normal stock battery in and it flew fine so I don't think I did permanent damage but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have seen people mentioning interchanging between 2s and 3s, why not 1s and 2s.
It is not logical to think that you can run 2s on this brick simply because we are running 3s packs in the 2s UMX Beast 3D & Sbach 3D. The 2s AS3X bricks are vastly different designs that are extremely overbuilt. They don't share any power components with the 1s brushed bricks.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Had fun today with my mQX with the RTF controller, I have a spare battery and managed to get about 30 minutes flight time in total before the wind started to pick up too much and I still had battery power in my spare. The wind speed in my area was 12 kph according to Bing Weather.

The wind can make it hard to control the height as it seems to take it up even having very little throttle it can still climb on half rate mode. I end up dropping the throttle to virtually zero to get it to drop enough... I have no experience of flying an RC aircraft aside from a couple of hours with the mQX, so am unsure of how wind can affect the behaviour of it, but I am learning as I go.

I have yet to get my head around the swapping over of directional control when flying so I am just focusing on learning to hover, regain control, flying forwards, sideways and backwards.

Its great fun though
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyCowie View Post
Had fun today with my mQX with the RTF controller, I have a spare battery and managed to get about 30 minutes flight time in total before the wind started to pick up too much and I still had battery power in my spare. The wind speed in my area was 12 kph according to Bing Weather.

The wind can make it hard to control the height as it seems to take it up even having very little throttle it can still climb on half rate mode. I end up dropping the throttle to virtually zero to get it to drop enough... I have no experience of flying an RC aircraft aside from a couple of hours with the mQX, so am unsure of how wind can affect the behaviour of it, but I am learning as I go.

I have yet to get my head around the swapping over of directional control when flying so I am just focusing on learning to hover, regain control, flying forwards, sideways and backwards.

Its great fun though
That is called translational lift... all rotorcraft experience this... the rotor generates more lift when it is moving to the side. When the wind gusts, it increases that lateral airspeed and you get more translational lift. If you let the helicopter drift with the wind, you will notice this effect diminish.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
right... I think I understand. Thank you!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:46 PM
Belton,Mo.
Joined Dec 2003
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyCowie View Post
I have managed 78 so far, you're beating me
Page 124 now, and still don't know when they started including the 25c battery!
kshoopman is offline Find More Posts by kshoopman