SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdre View Post
What radio are you using? I can fly it with the small MLP4DSM but not my DX8 until I exchange my MQX.
Not sure who you were asking - but I fly mine with a Futaba 10CHP + Spektrum DM8 module.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Flying In The Yard

Still flying mine,really surprised eflite hasn't followed this one up with a larger version yet.The quad market is really growing and some of the local car guys are even getting into the quads out here. Picked up some of the orange props finally,haven't broken the original props and still have the spares but wanted a new look for the mqx and better visibility. Id still like to see some neon green props for it.

Eflite Blade MQX Quad With New Props (2 min 21 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
High vis paint job. Not real gorgeous but works for me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6486
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, IL, Libertyville
Joined Jan 2011
124 Posts
Wow just got one of these, good fun. Much more maneuverable that I anticipated. I like that my airplane control memory works with this vs. trying a CP heli. I have an mSR I use inside in the winer but this is really fun. Tame inside, but will be a riot outside. I look forward to learning more.
daver22 is offline Find More Posts by daver22
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Not sure who you were asking - but I fly mine with a Futaba 10CHP + Spektrum DM8 module.

Joel
So the MQX should be tolerant of different radios. Do all your props start up together? I always have a "late" prop, but goes OK when lifting off. I tried MQX with the DX8 again (after a short flight with the RTF Transmitter. ) Surprisingly, it took off and flew well, and I trimmed it out very stable, compared with any helis I have. I noticed the left front white prop started late with the RTF transmitter, and the right rear black one with DX8, so I guess there is a still a mystery but it's flying in my small living room
jdre is offline Find More Posts by jdre
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:54 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Late props just means the take off strip isn't level...
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Could be, maybe I should make a "test" use different places and see what happens.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdre View Post
So the MQX should be tolerant of different radios. Do all your props start up together? I always have a "late" prop, but goes OK when lifting off. I tried MQX with the DX8 again (after a short flight with the RTF Transmitter. ) Surprisingly, it took off and flew well, and I trimmed it out very stable, compared with any helis I have. I noticed the left front white prop started late with the RTF transmitter, and the right rear black one with DX8, so I guess there is a still a mystery but it's flying in my small living room
A slight difference in the dead-band between channels & transmitters could account for what you observed.

FYI - we have seen up to a 20% variability in power output between samples of the 8.5mm 'pager motors' that HH uses in their 1s aircraft. Also, very small differences in drag between the rotating assemblies can make the rotors spool-up slightly differently. The mQX's power-to-weight is high enough that AS3X usually has ample headroom to compensate for typical variability in rotor output. However, differences in maximum rotor output are usually apparent during a full-throttle climb.

The left-front rotor on mine has always been slightly lazy. A full-throttle climb shows that it is also slightly down on thrust with respect to the other three.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
952 Posts
Quote:
FYI - we have seen up to a 20% variability in power output between samples of the 8.5mm 'pager motors' that HH uses in their 1s aircraft. Also, very small differences in drag between the rotating assemblies can make the rotors spool-up slightly differently. The mQX's power-to-weight is high enough that AS3X usually has ample headroom to compensate for typical variability in rotor output. However, differences in maximum rotor output are usually apparent during a full-throttle climb.
Kind of on that same subject, I have been puzzled for a while by the fact that mine seems to be a bit less stable these days than it was when it was new. It seemed to change after a crash, but it was a minor crash with no damage that I could see. I had some cracked booms and a motor housing that was loose on the boom, but after addressing these issues, the slight instability remained. It was subtle, but it was there in FFF or hard maneuvers.

As an experiment, the other day I carefully tweeked the four props so that in a stable level hover with zero yaw, they were all four running at the same RPM (they were slightly different) and voila! it seems to be as stable as I remember it again.

I tweeked the props by twisting them (being careful to apply equal twist to each blade) and observing a stable hover against a white ceiling illuminated by metalarc lamps (our indoor flying site). In a stable hover at stock weight, they run close enough to 3600RPM that (in the US) you can see a pattern when looking at a surface being strobed by a fluorescent or metalarc lamp at 60Hz. You can do this simply by flying under fluorescent lighting, but the black props are much harder to see when illuminated from above than when viewing a strobing white surface through them.

When they are all running at the same RPM, that implies that they are all sharing the lifting equally. Provided the motors are similar, all four ESCs will reach 100% throttle at the same point on the thrust curve, reducing the instability as one or more motors (or all four) reaches 100% power in maneuvers.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
Mine became much more precise when I balanced all the props with tape. What was wrong was blade tracking, but with dynamic balancing I was able to mostly nuetralize the vibration caused by tracking and road rash, and it was perfect!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Mine became much more precise when I balanced all the props with tape. What was wrong was blade tracking, but with dynamic balancing I was able to mostly nuetralize the vibration caused by tracking and road rash, and it was perfect!
If you address the blade tracking by bending it back into place you will also probably reduce vibrations as well, since a bent blade is not the same pitch as the other un-bent blade.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
This is a bad link :-(
lmcwilli is offline Find More Posts by lmcwilli
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcwilli View Post
This is a bad link :-(
I can't say why a specific thread would be purged from the forum, but the original message post also contains the URL for Nik's own web site:

http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/

It would be necessary to contact him directly for the custom beeper, specifying the time delay you'd want. I've found that my 15 minute delay works just fine, because I fly for 9 minutes and that gives me 6 minutes on either side of the flight to shut things down. It doesn't take me a full minute to get the mQx in the air after power up and it doesn't take me five minutes to power it off after landing, but if it takes too long, the beeper will begin. It did, one time, because I sat idle for some forgotten reason. Quite a surprise to hear that noise during normal flight.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
I can't say why a specific thread would be purged from the forum, but the original message post also contains the URL for Nik's own web site:

http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/

It would be necessary to contact him directly for the custom beeper, specifying the time delay you'd want. I've found that my 15 minute delay works just fine, because I fly for 9 minutes and that gives me 6 minutes on either side of the flight to shut things down. It doesn't take me a full minute to get the mQx in the air after power up and it doesn't take me five minutes to power it off after landing, but if it takes too long, the beeper will begin. It did, one time, because I sat idle for some forgotten reason. Quite a surprise to hear that noise during normal flight.
Or you might want to check this lost model option out. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2362 I'm full of good intentions to make one for my 929 and another for Dad's mQx. His first one is MIA, so something like this seems like a *REAL GOOD* idea (blush).

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
A slight difference in the dead-band between channels & transmitters could account for what you observed.

The left-front rotor on mine has always been slightly lazy. A full-throttle climb shows that it is also slightly down on thrust with respect to the other three.

Joel
Today, it fired up equally, using the DX8. Flew well, today I flew it more like my MSR heli in the house (except the MQX is wide and I have to mind the blades.) I guess the MQX is fine and I'll fly until I burn out the brushed motors, which are easy to change out.