Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I just bought a MQX and a WL 949 and the WL 949 seems to be fully stabilized with accelerometers.

But the MQX does not seem to be fully stabilized and you really need to counter any tilts or it just slides down into the ground. I am using a Futaba 9C with a spektrum module.

Is this how the MQX is suppose to work or have I missed something?
I think the MQX is very stable and I don't have the problem that you have...I can hover mine forever without it sliding to the ground....
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I just bought a MQX and a WL 949 and the WL 949 seems to be fully stabilized with accelerometers.

But the MQX does not seem to be fully stabilized and you really need to counter any tilts or it just slides down into the ground. I am using a Futaba 9C with a spektrum module.

Is this how the MQX is suppose to work or have I missed something?
The mQX is neutrally-stable - just like a CP heli or purpose-built aerobatic plane. It simply goes where you point it & keeps on doing that until you tell it to do something else. Put it in a hover in calm air, drop the sticks, and it will hover hands-off, then slowly drift away. Put it into a bank & it will hold that bank-angle until you level it out. It's a gyro-based system, so it has no way of sensing which way is 'up'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
So order the sealed bearings without grease and then what is recommended to use for lubrication?
I use TriFlow on my mQX & all of my helis.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Thanks for you help Joel

My TriFlow is on the way along with Boca main shaft bearings for my mcpx and nano (2x6x3 and 2x5x2). Curious to see if they make any difference in performance... I ordered them without grease, so just soak them in the TriFlow and wipe down before install?

For the MQX I picked up the MH Aluminum motor mount kt for $69.99. Lighter than stock and I am hoping they will take some of they play out that the stock ones have.

I will also be trying the TriFlow out on my bike chain this Spring
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I think the MQX is very stable and I don't have the problem that you have...I can hover mine forever without it sliding to the ground....

I have an MQX and like it, however it does feel "sloppy" compared to the little direct drive units like the ladybird and QR-1. If you apply a little throttle and move them around in your hand, you can tell the diference. If you keep the QR1 level, and move it side to side (level), you can hear the motors working. On the MQX the system only kicks in when it is tilted. The little QR 1 feels like it is on rails, where as to me, the MQX feels like a 3D slowflyer or fixed pitch heli, totally different handling systems.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,531 Posts
Aphro,

You're welcome! The only times I've noticed a performance boost from using Bocas on my helis is when the stock grip bearings or tail-shaft bearings were sloppy. I have never noticed an increase in performance by using them on the mainshaft alone - but then I'm not an insane headspeed guy. However, they usually last a lot longer than the cheapie bearings that are typically used in RTF & BNF birds. I have yet to try them in my mQX. However - given the differences in drag between rotors & the general crappiness of the stock bearings, the Bocas might provide a noticeable improvement.

Regarding lube - yeah, just soak them in TriFlow. It carries Teflon & penetrates like crazy.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
MQX problems with DX8

I have a very strange issue with my new MQX. With my DX8, displaying DSMX and Telemetry bars:

1. Right rear motor does not run.
2. If throttle on even at slowest speed, the other 3 motors rev up gradually to high speed, uncommanded by me.

With my old RTF DSM2 Tx from my Champ, MQX works correctly. My DX8 is working correctly with my DSM2 fleet (Beast,Sbach, Mcpx,Msr) and my AR6115 DSMx in my old CP.
I made sure I used a fresh model memory, and reset it besides and tried again, same results. Any ideas what might be wrong? I think its the MQX DSMx decoding of signals. I will probably have to exchange it..
jdre is offline Find More Posts by jdre
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Do you have it set up as plane or heli in your DX8?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
Plane, because no swashplates.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,515 Posts
I believe I read that DSMX wont work with some DSM2 rx's, such as Orange. Can you change the DX8 to operate in DSM2 for the MQX? If I get a new TX or module it will need to operate in DSMX or DSM2 mode so I can use my fleet of Orange RX's.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,826 Posts
Chris,
We have 2 club members flying with DX8 transmitters and using orange receivers. The DX8 will switch from DSMX to DSM2 as necessary. I have both types of receivers in my fleet.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
How old is your DX8? It is not one of these is it? Click on link and then the product bulletin...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...servos-SPM8800
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I have my MQX set-up as heli in my DX8 and it works perfectly...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,515 Posts
ah yes found the product buletin. So if you have a PID beginning with one of the following prefixes: HS, HH, HT, HE, HA, HO, HM, HR then that could be the problem but strange it works Ok with your other BNF fleet.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
Mine is HC, not recalled yet. I also emailed Horizon. My problem is so unusual it is not on the internet as far as I can search. I need to borrow another DSMX Dx6/8 Tx maybe at the retailer,and try it with the MQX.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:26 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Plus mode is a lot easier, try it!!!
Yep thats what i did and it is a lot easier! Thanks!
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member