HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:20 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Jan 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
I guess my primary concern is can a bad motor harm the board? If a motor burns out or goes bad can it cause the board to have issues? And if the motor fails in midflight and I crash again what's the chances I'm going to break the new board?
Glad you asked! I had a burning smell and the front left kept running at throttle down. In England, there is a man who repairs MQX boards - I sent it to him, and he returned it with a note to replace the FL motor otherwise the board would burn out again. I never told him which motor was running on - he just sussed that from the board!
Eric the Red is offline Find More Posts by Eric the Red
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,359 Posts
Circuit Board Guided Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
Glad you asked! I had a burning smell and the front left kept running at throttle down. In England, there is a man who repairs MQX boards - I sent it to him, and he returned it with a note to replace the FL motor otherwise the board would burn out again. I never told him which motor was running on - he just sussed that from the board!
The three axis controller (AS3X) gets input from sensing devices and pilot input from the receiver then translates all that into a "signal" which is sent via a couple of driver transistors per motor to adjust the voltage of each motor. If a motor were to short out, that would overload the final driver transistor and most likely burn it out. I seriously doubt the designers built output protection into the motor drive circuit which could be something as simple as a fuse.

Take a look at each of the motor connectors on your circuit board. You will notice the larger final transistor with its center contact attached to one pin of the connector. Then follow that back a bit and notice the little bit smaller pre driver transistor which interfaces with the controller which is the big integrated circuit in the middle of the board.

Now, take a look at the IC in the corner next to the antenna. That is the receiver circuit. You will also notice a smaller shiny square thing. That is the crystal which is required by the receiver. A radio receiver requires an oscillator in order to work (unlike me, I just require money to work - lol). Most oscillators require a crystal. Crystals are fragile. If you crack the oscillator crystal due to extreme shock, the receiver will either stop working and/or work erratically. Or it may keep working and just be an accident waiting to happen.

The controller also requires some sort of oscillator but may not be a crystal. If that component is damaged, obviously, the controller will loose its mind so to speak.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Modification of terminology
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
The controller gets input from accelerometers.....
FYI - the mQX controller uses a 3-axis gyro only. It doesn't have accelerometers.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
FYI - the mQX controller uses a 3-axis gyro only. It doesn't have accelerometers.

Joel
"It’s sleek. It’s high-tech. It’s an RC flying experience unlike any other. It’s the exciting Blade mQX—the world’s first quad-copter equipped with the advanced AS3X (Artificial Stabilization 3-aXis) System. The sense of precise control this system gives an mQX pilot rivals that of bigger quad-copters that cost a whole lot more."
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...qx-bnf-BLH7580

More about AS3X:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525268

More about sensing devices:
https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/accel_gyro_guide

Introduction to nanotechnology:
http://nanogloss.com/mems/what-is-a-...#axzz2En7pKLSF
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:07 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Ok, obviously I don't know exactly what the controller is using for position information. But neither do you. Here is how Blade describes it, "Its sleek. Its high-tech. Its an RC flying experience unlike any other. Its the exciting Blade mQXthe worlds first quad-copter equipped with the advanced AS3X (Artificial Stabilization 3-aXis) System. The sense of precise control this system gives an mQX pilot rivals that of bigger quad-copters that cost a whole lot more."
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...qx-bnf-BLH7580

Blade doesn't use the term "gyro" or "accelerometer." It's an exciting "artificial stabilization system." If you or anyone else want to call it a gyro then I don't really have a problem with that.

https://www.sparkfun.com/pages/accel_gyro_guide
I know exactly what it uses, as so do most of us who have been flying AS3X-equipped aircraft since the beginning. It uses a 3-axis mems gyro, as do all AS3X-equipped aircraft. No accelerometers. There is a very big difference between the two. Just doing my part to combat misinformation.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:13 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I know exactly what it uses, as so do most of us who have been flying AS3X-equipped aircraft since the beginning. It uses a 3-axis mems gyro, as do all AS3X-equipped aircraft. No accelerometers. There is a very big difference between the two. Just doing my part to combat misinformation.

Joel
Thank you sir! Point taken.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Dec 11, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
USA, CA, Oakland
Joined Nov 2009
1,324 Posts
I taught my kid how to fly
llbr22 is offline Find More Posts by llbr22
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
How realistic is Phoenix V4 when it comes to doing flips with the MQX?

Playing with ours at the shop makes it seem too easy to do flips. Have the simple setting slider to 100% and 27% expo on elevator and aileron. Rolls and flips require a decent amount of altitude but doing a flip toward one of the rotors only needs about 3-4 feet total.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
How realistic is Phoenix V4 when it comes to doing flips with the MQX?

Playing with ours at the shop makes it seem too easy to do flips. Have the simple setting slider to 100% and 27% expo on elevator and aileron. Rolls and flips require a decent amount of altitude but doing a flip toward one of the rotors only needs about 3-4 feet total.
I did it on Phoenix multiple times over the course of 2 days - then got up the guts to try it in real life. Got high enough - WAY UP THERE THE FIRST TIME - and let her rip! I've not turned back. It's an insane rush the first time and very cool there after. I should add - I'd never flown a Quad before. Got the Quad, flew it around a bit. Less than 10 times and started trying to flip it on Phoenix, all over the course of 3 days. It was day 4 of ownership when I flipped it the first time.

If you can do it in Phoenix, and if you can recover from fast flight, give your self plenty of altitude and go for it on the real deal!
jdr00ejr is online now Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
I've been flying out demo MQX along with the simulator when its slow too. Getting pretty good at flying around as long as I keep the front away from me. I can hover nose in but only if I'm stable prior to spinning. Maybe if its calm tomorrow I'll fly the MQX in front of the store. Grab attention for the store and maybe even try to flip it...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
For me, a corner flip is easier, more stable, and takes less vertical space. That's the one I did first.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
Sonoma
Joined Jul 2009
238 Posts
Here is my Video, Did the recording over the weekend and at the same time my DAD had a stroke on Friday night and Sunday morning he past away. I made this video in his memory, Hope you like it

Quad night flight in HD (4 min 35 sec)
FutureVRPilot is offline Find More Posts by FutureVRPilot
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:24 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,624 Posts
FutureVRPilot,

That was a very nice tribute to your Dad! Sorry to hear about your loss. Alzheimer's got my Dad just over a decade ago, but I will always remember the good times we shared. My thoughts are with you & your family.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
New MQX Owner

Had the QR 1 first, the QX seems like a lightly wing loaded slowflyer airplane, and is nice. The little QR 1 stabilization system seems a lot more locked in. These are fun
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Last edited by RICH S; Jun 16, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
628 Posts
Been looking at the little QR-1, but don't have the funds yet. I love my MQX and am not sure I'd mess with the QR-1 enough. I guess I could fly it inside maybe when I can't fly the MQX outside. Can't imagine keeping track of that QR-1 outside, I have a hard enough time keeping orientation on the MQX.