Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:09 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The solution for motor problems for me was,
Wasnt it the ccw motors that keep failing? Its the one with two cooling holes.

I took two CW/or four cooling hole motors, mounted them and plugged them in backwards.
Yes yes i know youre not suppossed to run a brushed motor in the wrong direction, but in the 6 months since i have done this i have not had one motor failure. The four cooling hole motors just have an amazing longevity even going backwards!
Brilliant!! This is a perfect example of why I like to hang out here.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
323 Posts
Does this guy look familiar?

Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Does this guy look familiar?

Yes indeed it does. Selfishly - could I make a request if you are modeling that one? I'd love to see it in Carbon Fiber but with a bright color (like Red or something) up front and a different color (maybe the Blue) across the back. I took one of your CF TDR Canopies and made the eyes Red, and the wrap under red, and made the back flap Blue - and that helps me immensely with orientation.

I've gotten somewhat proficient (albeit insanely slow) with recoloring your templates in MS Paint, but can't figure out how to do the carbon fiber look.

EDIT TO ADD: And while I'm asking things of you - do you have any "instructions" for how to fold the fighter body? I love it - but I'm struggling greatly with wear to fold it so it looks right.

BTW....I should have started with THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOU DO!
jdr00ejr is online now Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
Yes indeed it does. Selfishly - could I make a request if you are modeling that one? I'd love to see it in Carbon Fiber but with a bright color (like Red or something) up front and a different color (maybe the Blue) across the back. I took one of your CF TDR Canopies and made the eyes Red, and the wrap under red, and made the back flap Blue - and that helps me immensely with orientation.

I've gotten somewhat proficient (albeit insanely slow) with recoloring your templates in MS Paint, but can't figure out how to do the carbon fiber look.

EDIT TO ADD: And while I'm asking things of you - do you have any "instructions" for how to fold the fighter body? I love it - but I'm struggling greatly with wear to fold it so it looks right.

BTW....I should have started with THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOU DO!
I'll have to build and test one - then it will come the time for custom colors
Props to you for the patience! Using ms paint to do that must be quite a chore. I'd suggest using something a little more advanced, but i do understand that not everyone wants to invest time/money/patience for graphic editing.
As per folding instructions for the fighter, you're not the first one to ask for them, so i prepared this:

I hope it helps.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
606 Posts
Thank you Darsh. Found your blog and found the red/blue fighter. Now I'm even more determined to figure this out. Thank you very much for the diagram!

PS: downloaded gimpshop but haven't had time to learn it. Wish I could afford one I the nicer ones.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Well....I'm getting no love at all from the Board - so I ordered one from the Bay - $27. Now the hard part - waiting. Once the new board arrives, and the new motors/blades arrive, I may just overhaul it all at once. I ordered the v929 motors so need the old motor plugs to make them work. Don't know how to tell which motors are okay and which ones aren't without just replacing them. Any ideas?

Chopper Jack - what kind of paint did you use?
I suggest you try just replacing the board, it should resolve your issues. Save the parts that you ordered for future needs. If you see one corner of your quad is not performing up to the others than it may be due to the motor.

I have done a bit of painting of parts and found the ACE Hardware Fluorescent paint to perform better than Rust-Oleum. When painting over dark parts I found it best to start with a white primer. For white I used only the white primer and found it lasted through hundreds of crashes well.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
606 Posts
I guess my primary concern is can a bad motor harm the board? If a motor burns out or goes bad can it cause the board to have issues? And if the motor fails in midflight and I crash again what's the chances I'm going to break the new board?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
304 Posts
I'd be surprised if a motor going bad would kill the board. Unless it shorts and the board doesn't have any type of protection and you keep giving it power after noticing it not working I think you'll be fine.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The solution for motor problems for me was,
Wasnt it the ccw motors that keep failing? Its the one with two cooling holes.

I took two CW/or four cooling hole motors, mounted them and plugged them in backwards.
Yes yes i know youre not suppossed to run a brushed motor in the wrong direction, but in the 6 months since i have done this i have not had one motor failure. The four cooling hole motors just have an amazing longevity even going backwards!
I replace alot of motors. More than 30 in total. I have replaced at least 18 CW and 12CCW. At least two of those CCW motors were run backwards as CW motors. None of the backward running motors lasted more than 25-30 flights when I average more than 100 flights per motor usually when run in the correct orientation.

Our results are far from statistically significant individually, that they disagree in results makes it even less likely that we have either found a trend worthy of note. And I believe it is a moot point because I have not had out-of-the-ordinary problems with mQX motors recently. My first two mQX's had CW motors that failed within a short time, my last two have not, that seems to be my experience overall with motors.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
I guess my primary concern is can a bad motor harm the board? If a motor burns out or goes bad can it cause the board to have issues? And if the motor fails in midflight and I crash again what's the chances I'm going to break the new board?
I do believe there is some very small chance that a bad motor could hurt a board. I have not seen it or heard of it happening. I have replaced 7 boards and at least 30 motors. I do not have the concern that you do.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
606 Posts
Thanks guys. Okay, I think I'll try the new board with existing motors and see what happens.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:21 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,028 Posts
Short flight in my living room with a paper canopy...easy to see...

BLADEMQX OOP (1 min 30 sec)
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
323 Posts
Here we go... attached some pictures of the test fitting, and some variations on the canopies... you know the rules

Will post some more as soon as i'm done working on them.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Oct 2012
606 Posts
Awesome Darsh! Thanks for all you do.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:01 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts