Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:57 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10086689/RC...2012.56.18.jpg

I just ordered this morning 4 new motors, new props, new bearings - do I need a new board? :-(
Visually it looks fine to me... the paint and the scratching on the chips is just something they do at the factory. Is there something specific you thought looked wrong?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Visually it looks fine to me... the paint and the scratching on the chips is just something they do at the factory. Is there something specific you thought looked wrong?
It was the "spots" on the chips - was afraid they were "burn spots". The board pushed through the canopy on the corner that the antenna connects, but no cracks seen and antenna is still intact.

Other thoughts?
jdr00ejr is offline Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
It was the "spots" on the chips - was afraid they were "burn spots". The board pushed through the canopy on the corner that the antenna connects, but no cracks seen and antenna is still intact.

Other thoughts?
If I were you, I would order an new BNF mQX and use the old one for parts. I would look around for discount cupons too. Horizon should give you 10 percent off if you have ordered enough stuff. Maybe you could find one on Ebay cheap.

Also, don't let the end of the antenna touch metal on the circuit board.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Did you check transmitter battery?
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Did you check transmitter battery?
Antenna is not touching anything. Transmitter batteries were at 5.6V so I changed them to a fresh set (6.5V) and still no love. Tried all different distances. This is to my DX6i FWIW. Someone else suggested I knocked the RX chip loose - but I don't know which chip that is or how to tell. All the chips don't wiggle for what that's worth.

EDIT TO ADD: If you look at the picture, the chip under the antenna has the smallest amount of "antenna red" spec on it. Is that the RX Chip and did something possible short it?
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:50 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
High Visibility Paint Job

This makes a big improvement.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
Ahahaha ok, I'll see what i can do. But i'd make it smooth; the two "jet intakes" have really to go....
No problem, I always liked your creations
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Well....I'm getting no love at all from the Board - so I ordered one from the Bay - $27. Now the hard part - waiting. Once the new board arrives, and the new motors/blades arrive, I may just overhaul it all at once. I ordered the v929 motors so need the old motor plugs to make them work. Don't know how to tell which motors are okay and which ones aren't without just replacing them. Any ideas?

Chopper Jack - what kind of paint did you use?
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hi All,
I just ordered an mQX, and I'm looking for some simple maintenance/repair advice. I have read a lot about the motors failing, is that still a problem? I ordered one extra CW and one CCW motor with my mQX, just to prepare. I'm not great with this stuff -- I just find these things to be fun -- and I don't plan on modifying my mQX (I'll even be using the rtf controller). I just want to get as much out of the hardware as possible. Should I find a certain oil or lubricant for the motors? etc.
Thanks
SeerNimbus is offline Find More Posts by SeerNimbus
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerNimbus View Post
Hi All,
I just ordered an mQX, and I'm looking for some simple maintenance/repair advice. I have read a lot about the motors failing, is that still a problem? I ordered one extra CW and one CCW motor with my mQX, just to prepare. I'm not great with this stuff -- I just find these things to be fun -- and I don't plan on modifying my mQX (I'll even be using the rtf controller). I just want to get as much out of the hardware as possible. Should I find a certain oil or lubricant for the motors? etc.
Thanks
Hi SeerNimbus
Welcome to the club!
Most everyone around here has a "preferred best" maintainence routine, and you can spend a few days or weeks depending on how fast you read, or get distracted by life outside of RC Groups discovering them all.

I have had motor failures with almost every little brushed motor RC product I have had. My best advice is to stick to flights under 5 or 6 minutes and let the motors cool down for 5 minutes before "Playing" again. The other thing I do is to apply a small-small drop of a lubricant sold in many hardware stores called Tri-Flow to the vehicles bearings, gears, and brass motor bushings that are on the motor pinion end of the motors. That seems to get them running a bit smoother and hopefully longer.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!!!

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Well....I'm getting no love at all from the Board - so I ordered one from the Bay - $27. Now the hard part - waiting. Once the new board arrives, and the new motors/blades arrive, I may just overhaul it all at once. I ordered the v929 motors so need the old motor plugs to make them work. Don't know how to tell which motors are okay and which ones aren't without just replacing them. Any ideas?

Chopper Jack - what kind of paint did you use?
Believe it or not, it was a bottle I bought 15 years ago to mark radio equipment as belonging to me. It is still good and still ORANGE. It has a flat finish which I don't like. I may go over it with clear coat. There's nothing special about it. I think I bought it at Hobby Lobby years ago.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:02 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
Hi SeerNimbus
Welcome to the club!
Most everyone around here has a "preferred best" maintainence routine, and you can spend a few days or weeks depending on how fast you read, or get distracted by life outside of RC Groups discovering them all.

I have had motor failures with almost every little brushed motor RC product I have had. My best advice is to stick to flights under 5 or 6 minutes and let the motors cool down for 5 minutes before "Playing" again. The other thing I do is to apply a small-small drop of a lubricant sold in many hardware stores called Tri-Flow to the vehicles bearings, gears, and brass motor bushings that are on the motor pinion end of the motors. That seems to get them running a bit smoother and hopefully longer.

Good Luck and enjoy!!!!!

John in Merrill
I ordered some lubricant from Scorpion which they sell for lubricating the bearings in their motors. The bottle comes with two long detachable metal tubes for getting into tight spots. I also ordered "bearing soak" from Boca Bearing which is supposet to adhere to metal parts. I use this stuff and hopefully it will buy me some extra wear and tear.

As mentioned above, I replaced all the open faced bearings with expensive Boca sealed bearings. The stock ones were beginning to show signs of wear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:06 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Blue Light Visibility

As mentioned above, the blue light on the receiver board is almost impossible to see. Someone mentioned turning the bird upside down to initialize and it wouldn't know the difference which is correct. However, I went ahead and pealed the stickers off the mock jet intakes and scratched the paint from underneath. Now I have a window to see the blue light.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
upside down works just fine as long as the aircraft does not move while it initializes. I like the idea of building a viewport though
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:50 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
The solution for motor problems for me was,
Wasnt it the ccw motors that keep failing? Its the one with two cooling holes.

I took two CW/or four cooling hole motors, mounted them and plugged them in backwards.
Yes yes i know youre not suppossed to run a brushed motor in the wrong direction, but in the 6 months since i have done this i have not had one motor failure. The four cooling hole motors just have an amazing longevity even going backwards!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower