HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
I received my mQX today. What a cool little gadget! It is very stable and easy to fly. Of course I had to take it apart to inspect the wires and bearings. I might invest in a set of those Boca bearings.

Here is a video of the maiden flight for you're viewing pleasure.

mQX Maiden (2 min 9 sec)
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,235 Posts
I was amazed at the keycam footage joel got from just balancing the rotors, it was as smooth as melted chocolate.
So I balanced all my rotors just like joel did and most of us do on ultra micros, wow. Flies with twice the precision, no wierd pitch changes in FFF, easier to fly in wind, amazing, even stopped her tipping at full throttle and now she goes up like an elevator!
This may not work on every mqx, but if you think yours isnt flying perfect, do it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
I'm sold. Where can I find the rotor balancing video?

One thing I've noticed after flying the mQX. Of course I have to compare the quad with a pod and boom heli. This quad has such a low profile, at a distance, it becomes more and more difficult to distinguish front and back. The pod and boom is quite a bit easier. Be that as it may, my mQX flies almost like a coaxial and in some ways, better. Once I get it in a stable hover, it will hover in place with only throttle input for a good long while.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
You could always make something to address the low profile issue.

It would need to be something lightweight, but you could remove the canopy and make something with a slightly higher profile and stick a tail on it, the MQX has a decent carrying capacity for such a small beast.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
There is a thread for alternate canopies that would fit the MQX:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589171
Also check my profile for some paper canopies
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
You could always make something to address the low profile issue.

It would need to be something lightweight, but you could remove the canopy and make something with a slightly higher profile and stick a tail on it, the MQX has a decent carrying capacity for such a small beast.
I think you struck a note with carrying capacity. I am thinking maybe some sort of light weight string with a ball in the middle tied across the back gear housings. Or maybe I could glue some sort of up right stick to the back with a small ball on top like the antenna on my MINI Cooper S.

Also, hello Blade! It would have been nice if there was some sort of indication other than blue light hidden inside canopy as an indication the quad is ready to go. Maybe I could cut a couple of holes where the imitation fans are located on top of the canopy. If I get on my hands and knees and put my ear up to the quad, I can hear the motors buzzing. Other than that, it is just wait about half a minute after plugging the battery in and hope it is ready to go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Finally ordered my first heli...the MQX! The new $120 price was what really brought me into it. Only bad part is that it won't be opened until December 25th.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
There have been so many facts and info that have been lost in this thread.
The MQx can be placed on the ground/floor upside down and it will initialize just as well. You can see the blue led clearly. All it has to do is to be still while binding/resetting.
I use this all the time.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
The MQx can be placed on the ground/floor upside down and it will initialize just as well. You can see the blue led clearly. All it has to do is to be still while binding/resetting.
I use this all the time.
+1!

AS3X is a simple 3-axis gyro-based stabilization system; therefore it has no possible way of knowing which way is 'up' with respect to the Earth. All AS3X aircraft can be initialized in any orientation that happens to be convenient. The only requirement is that the aircraft remain motionless during the process.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Hey guys. Any expo/dual rate settings needed for this heli for a first time heli flyer?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:56 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hey guys. Any expo/dual rate settings needed for this heli for a first time heli flyer?
definitely. I'd recommend 60% rates and 20-30% expo for the first time, after that it's up to you to find what you like.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
definitely. I'd recommend 60% rates and 20-30% expo for the first time, after that it's up to you to find what you like.
Thanks for the settings! Will see how it goes when it comes around.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:57 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I use this all the time.
thanks I must have missed that... so much easier and it works fine on the mqx and the v929

I have had a good indoor session for the first time ... loads more room to fly in, and I had a chance to compare my mqx with my v929...
whilst the v929 is excellent value for money and does fly well, I much prefer the mqx because I can use my decent TX on it..
Both models bounce well... which is a big plus for me at the moment..lol
And dont they fly for ages on just a small batery.. with 6 spares I flew on and on...great fun, with only one big crash but nothing broken

A decent tx makes all the difference at the moment because I am still at the early learning stage ..having expo to smooth out my thumbs is great..

Orientation at distance is also a problem when learning, and the standard cover is poor when the hall lighting is not so good as it was at our indoor location..now I am looking at making something a bit easier to see for a cover
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
whilst the v929 is excellent value for money and does fly well, I much prefer the mqx because I can use my decent TX on it..
You can also use a "grown" TX on your v929 : Flysky TH9X or Turnigy 9x

See first post "...list of compatible radios" of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710948
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
yes... but ive too many tx's as it is...

here is an idea for easy small lights..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Whi...30751615851%26
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap