SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
You should have 2 spare motors ready at all times, one of each rotation, (clockwise/counterclockwise). Time to try them in each respective motor pod to troubleshoot which one is really giving you the problems.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:09 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
220 Posts
Can it hold a #16 keychain camera with the wide angle lens?
nforbesrc99 is offline Find More Posts by nforbesrc99
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
So I have been having loads of fun learning quads with the MQX but recently it has developed a problem where the motors stop in mid air after hearing a brief squeal noise and it always flips over sharply and crashes and the motors stop. It will then fly for a variable amount of time and while flying just randomly does it again even when simply hovering in place.

The squeal noise always happens immediately prior and I don't know what the sound is.

Luckily it's tough and nothing breaks so far except a carbon boom but I need to fix this bug.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks
My first port of call would be checking the gears can't slip off the pinion, that could be what the squeal noise may be and it should be a simple fix...just push the gear further onto the carbon rod so it can't slip.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:39 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
604 Posts
I would say it could definitely lift it and fly around without much aerobatics. Even without the wide angle lense my mQX suffers stability while decending really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforbesrc99 View Post
Can it hold a #16 keychain camera with the wide angle lens?
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
My MQX has dreadful stability issues when descending, even with nothing attached, even without a canopy.

I'm not convinced it's normal behaviour and believe it's related to imbalance in either the props or the power levels of the motors or a combination of those things.

Adding extra weight magnifies this issue!

As long as you take it easy though there should be no problem, I'm gonna have another go at sticking a tiny camera on mine for FPV flying now that i've got a ground station setup ready. Just waiting for a calm day so I don't have wind to contend with.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:59 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
I think that the instability in MQX while losing height rapidly has to do with vortex ring state, a condition commonly found in rotary wing vehicles (AKA "Settling with power").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:37 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
The mQX is rated for carrying a 1 oz payload. It carries my regular #16 cam just fine, but I haven't tried the wide-angle lens.

Regarding stability issues during descent - as Darsh mentioned, it's the rotorcraft phenomenon known as vortex ring-state, and it can be a problem for full-scale helis as well. Once you're in it, the best way to get out is to get the bird moving forward ASAP & fly out of it. To prevent the problem, either keep the bird moving at a couple MPH or so during the descent, or make slow vertical descents.

Here's some on-board footage from my #16 cam. It's mounted under the belly at the CG. Just flying around my yard to see how the mQX handles the cam. I get into a bit of vortex ring-state @ 2:55 & again at 3:10. Notice that the problem doesn't happen during slow vertical descents or when the bird is moving horizontally during the descent.

Eflite mQX on-board video - 808 #16 cam (4 min 55 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,248 Posts
Very nice flying..I envy your large flying area.............
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The mQX is rated for carrying a 1 oz payload. It carries my regular #16 cam just fine, but I haven't tried the wide-angle lens.

Joel
oul

How do you mount your cam?? I see you have almost no vibrations, I have an 808 and used it on my mcpx and never got rid of the the vibes, I know using the quad should naturaly improve vibes but you seem to have none
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Mine arrived today!!!!! Already in love, can't wait to put my ketchain cam on it!!!!! what a joy to fly, instant gratification!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Where do you all get your #808 cameras? I had one a few years ago but it quit working...
I want one for my MQX
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Where do you all get your #808 cameras? I had one a few years ago but it quit working...
I want one for my MQX
i got from ebay
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:20 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,248 Posts
Picked up one of these yesterday....very impressive...Heli-Max 1SQ:

Weighs a little over an ounce!

And, with a $25 add on box and cable, you can bind it to your DX6i.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Last edited by Jake8131; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:31 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Thanks, guys!

I simply mounted the cam to the square plate below the battery with a piece of Velcro. I used a strip of masking tape for backup. The reason for the low vibration level is that I carefully balanced each rotor.

Regarding sources for the #16 cam - be careful, as there are some fakes out there. (BTW - the #16 has the best 720p video of all the 808 cams.) Here is the source for accurate information on all things keychain-cam related: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Picked up one of these yesterday....very impressive...Heli-Max 1SQ:

Weighs a little over an ounce!

And, with a $25 add on box and cable, you can bind it to your DX6i.
Has it's own thread here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739348
mystman is offline Find More Posts by mystman