HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Rudder turns the "nose" of the quad. Same as it would on a heli in heli mode.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
I use 150% servo throw on aileron, elevator and rudder with no dual rate switches programmed.... it is 150% all the time. I do use 10% expo on aileron and elevator just to make precision hovering in calm conditions a bit easier while retaining full control authority all the time.

And remember that the transmitter programming does not affect how the mQX flies at all. It just tailors the stick response to your tastes.

I know many people get real involved programming specific values for expo and "dual rates". Myself, I am not a fan of dual rates in general for any of my aircraft (heli or airplane). I program the rate I need for aggressive flying and then simply get used to it without worrying about manipulating switches. If needed, I add a bit of expo to tame the center stick area but I never use dual rates. I have handed my transmitter (with 150% aileron and elevator throws) to rank beginners and they have been able to fly my mQX after a couple seconds while they get used to the sensitive controls. Life is simpler without worrying about throwing switches

Paul
I use same approach with all my collective pitch helis. Always start and learn them at 100% with around 30%Expo. Rudder always at 100% with no expo. I feel that you should learn how to fly it by design and not tame it down. Better to get use to aircraft under calm and windy condition using its maximum abilities. Tame it down (lowering throttle curves or D/R) only for testing or some indoor flying.

Outside I always fly at 100%. I'm new to Quad so I figured I'll ask and since we are dealing with some gusty condition, assume that the higher rate will help.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Rudder turns the "nose" of the quad. Same as it would on a heli in heli mode.
Got it. I think I'm going to enjoy this aircraft. My 120 size cp heli would do the rabbit hops in the gusty wind.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
It's a lot of fun. I only flew fixed pitch, but after flying a quad I'm hooked! It's like the best of both worlds to me and best of all no moving parts so much less time trouble shooting. There have been crashes that would have destroyed my helis. Just picked it up and kept on flying. lol
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:49 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
It's a lot of fun. I only flew fixed pitch, but after flying a quad I'm hooked! It's like the best of both worlds to me and best of all no moving parts so much less time trouble shooting. There have been crashes that would have destroyed my helis. Just picked it up and kept on flying. lol
Yep, that's why I liking idea of trying Quad as I spend alot of time between flying, fixing and ordering parts for my cp heli. Can't wait.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
Nice pic!
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
That's for the input on handling handling, this helps in deciding to go with MQX. Can you guys share your D/R expo settings and do you setup for Airplane or Heli mode (throttle curves)?
Airplane mode, D/R set to 60%/100% Roll, Pitch & Yaw with 10% expo to deadband the center of the stick a little.

I find 60% more than enough for indoor flying and makes for longer flights as you aren't over-correcting.

I added a throttle curve to flatten out the area under 40% throttle (i think my jr 9503 has 6 points) so that it "pops" a bit more as I swing the throttle over the mid-way point - this also made touch and go landings easier as the throttle was smoother on the bottom end.
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
I use 150% servo throw on aileron, elevator and rudder with no dual rate switches programmed.... it is 150% all the time. I do use 10% expo on aileron and elevator just to make precision hovering in calm conditions a bit easier while retaining full control authority all the time.

And remember that the transmitter programming does not affect how the mQX flies at all. It just tailors the stick response to your tastes.

I know many people get real involved programming specific values for expo and "dual rates". Myself, I am not a fan of dual rates in general for any of my aircraft (heli or airplane). I program the rate I need for aggressive flying and then simply get used to it without worrying about manipulating switches. If needed, I add a bit of expo to tame the center stick area but I never use dual rates. I have handed my transmitter (with 150% aileron and elevator throws) to rank beginners and they have been able to fly my mQX after a couple seconds while they get used to the sensitive controls. Life is simpler without worrying about throwing switches

Paul
What radio are you using?
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
What radio are you using?
I started with the original DX7. I now fly the DX8.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
I started with the original DX7. I now fly the DX8.

Paul
You said 150% and my DX6i only goes to 125%.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2000
952 Posts
The DX8 goes to 150%. But use whatever you can get... the point is to use maxed out travels to make abrupt aerobatics like flips easier. And again, it doesn't affect how the mQX flies. Just how it responds to a given stick movement.

Paul
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2000
952 Posts
Just tried the "Mini-mQX" mod.... motors and booms from the Walkera Ladybird. Like others, I just cut the connectors off the motor wires, stripped and tinned the wires, and pushed them into the mQX board connectors. A neater way to go would be to get four of the two pin male connectors used for the mQX motors. Their pins will fit the Ladybird motor connectors and essentially act as a double male adapter. Other than that, the "conversion" was dead easy.... just plug the booms in and go fly

Using a 300mAH NanoTech battery from my mCPX, it flies OK indoors and I get 7 minutes to BEC cutoff (I set the timer to 5 minutes). I find it hovers at a somewhat higher throttle setting than the stock mQX. That means it is a bit less able to correct for wind gusts outdoors (because it runs out of throttle range sooner). It flies OK in wind, but you tend to hit 100% throttle easier, with the resulting instability. Maybe a 200mAH cell would be lighter and let it hover closer to 50% throttle.

I find that outdoors in wind it also occasionally has a bit of a wobble.... very subtle, but there. As if the gyros were set up to anticipate a slower and higher mass airframe.

So, it will be a fun little thing indoors, but outdoors I think I'll stick to the stock mQX.

Paul
Last edited by pgoelz; Sep 22, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Guys, just a heads up: i've started to upload my MQX paper canopy templates on my blog. Check them out
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Thanks!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Very nice designs. Thanks so much for sharing! Will be printing off some this week.