to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Got the new endless evolution canopy with lights in today. It looks like it's going to be awesome! I will document it and get pics up soon.
I ended up getting one too. The LED lights are pretty bright and work ok during the day. I had a crash with it though and it seemed to crack fairly easily compared to the stock canopy....
Anyway, I still had a ton of fun flying it at dusk w/ the lights!!
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
We should have a little competition as to who can find or mold the nicest cheepest canopy..or even the best decor for the soda bottle type...

show us your canopies....

as usuall its been done Ive been searching and there are loads of good ones... search google images or paper canopies..
Old pill bottle...

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I ended up getting one too. The LED lights are pretty bright and work ok during the day. I had a crash with it though and it seemed to crack fairly easily compared to the stock canopy....
Anyway, I still had a ton of fun flying it at dusk w/ the lights!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Old pill bottle...

Why not take this conversation over to the RC Groups Thread already started and dedicated to it........... MQX Alternate bodies and mods There's already over 300 posts there. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1589171&pp=100
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,151 Posts
Hey thanks. I never saw this before. Not sure how I missed it.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:51 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,151 Posts
Some pics of my Endless Evolution Canopy completed.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348120221.883332.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 142.6 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348120242.213013.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 126.3 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348120256.970008.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 114.8 KB
Description:
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:56 AM View Post
Ketan
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
Reported as spam!
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
winter winds are coming and I want to know if MQX can handle strong wind, as my area is always gusty.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
winter winds are coming and I want to know if MQX can handle strong wind, as my area is always gusty.
I am in central Wisconsin and winter seems to take up more than half of the year here. In my post #5164 in this thread I link to a YouTube video of my mQX flying in a bit of a breeze with snow still on the ground. I would say that the mQX handles wind better than most small planes or helicopters. It is small and light though, so there will be some limits on what it can handle. It just isn't fun at anything over about 15 miles per hour, even though the AS3X computer/gyro system does an excellent job at trying to fend off the effects of wind.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
The mQX can fly in any wind that an airplane can handle. Often more. Basically, it can handle wind velocities up to the maximum forward speed it is capable of. As long as you avoid getting close to full throttle, the stabilization system works great. Remember, though, that the stabilization system only holds attitude, not altitude or position. Those will change with the wind velocity.

I flew mine last weekend in winds of 12 gusting to 20+ (some reports had gusts to 30 that day). As an indication, the several flips I tried that day ended up 20 feet behind the flight line due to wind. Most airplanes (including my Super Cub 25e) were grounded by the higher gusts but my mQX handled them just fine, with a little pilot input. Note in the photo how my hair is being blown

I do have to say that there were a couple gusts that exceeded its forward speed capability. At that point, I had to tilt it so far forward that there wasn't enough lift to keep it up. But it was remarkable how well it handled the wind.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Last edited by pgoelz; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:23 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
That's for the input on handling handling, this helps in deciding to go with MQX. Can you guys share your D/R expo settings and do you setup for Airplane or Heli mode (throttle curves)?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,151 Posts
Setup in airplane mode. No need for throttle curves. If you're flying outside low rates try 70% and high rates 100%. If you feel it's too much drop your low rates lower to get used to it. Expo is personal preference but 20% is a good point to try out. I would always keep rudder at 100% on high and low rates as its not overly sensitive and I've found it can help you get out of situations better while putting it on lower percentage rates really slows down its ability to turn away from something if you are wanting to get away from it. Whether it be a tree, wall, fence etc.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
That's for the input on handling handling, this helps in deciding to go with MQX. Can you guys share your D/R expo settings and do you setup for Airplane or Heli mode (throttle curves)?
I use 150% servo throw on aileron, elevator and rudder with no dual rate switches programmed.... it is 150% all the time. I do use 10% expo on aileron and elevator just to make precision hovering in calm conditions a bit easier while retaining full control authority all the time.

And remember that the transmitter programming does not affect how the mQX flies at all. It just tailors the stick response to your tastes.

I know many people get real involved programming specific values for expo and "dual rates". Myself, I am not a fan of dual rates in general for any of my aircraft (heli or airplane). I program the rate I need for aggressive flying and then simply get used to it without worrying about manipulating switches. If needed, I add a bit of expo to tame the center stick area but I never use dual rates. I have handed my transmitter (with 150% aileron and elevator throws) to rank beginners and they have been able to fly my mQX after a couple seconds while they get used to the sensitive controls. Life is simpler without worrying about throwing switches

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Setup in airplane mode. No need for throttle curves. If you're flying outside low rates try 70% and high rates 100%. If you feel it's too much drop your low rates lower to get used to it. Expo is personal preference but 20% is a good point to try out. I would always keep rudder at 100% on high and low rates as its not overly sensitive and I've found it can help you get out of situations better while putting it on lower percentage rates really slows down its ability to turn away from something if you are wanting to get away from it. Whether it be a tree, wall, fence etc.
I'll leave it at 100%, fly all my cp heli that way also. What is the rudder on Quad?