SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Also I know Mr. Rakon from Rakon heli, so I just got the full rakon kit in as well as the hybrid kit so I will be preparing those and posting a review here in the next week or two.
I'm picking up my first quad in a couple of days so I'm JUST starting to dive into the history for all of these quad threads (I've got a LOT of reading to do! )

I did have one question though. Are those cool looking RakonHeli canopies still available somewhere? I first saw them here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1690134

but when I go to the link provided, they're not on the RakonHeli web site.

Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread. As I said, I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up...

EDIT: and I think this posting has the advertisement for it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5665

So I just need to PM the author??? These aren't official RakonHeli parts then?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Ah ha! Think I found it...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Yes I would contact the author as I don't believe Rakon is affiliated with those canopies. You can also check ebay. Valuerc is selling those canopies as well as the username tinycars. They are both in the same style and you can even create your own custom one with your own graphic. Just go to ebay and type mqx canopy and you will come up with lots of that design with different graphics. The only problem is they are being listed as plastic, but the certainly look like heavy cardstock paper to me and not plastic. Could be wrong though.

Here is a new one that just popped up within the last few days on ebay. It comes clear:

New Canopy

Also there are these which are very unique. I ordered a red and black last week. I will take some pics when they come in:

evil bug canopy
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,896 Posts
Ha ha! Thanks jlcamp7!!!

I LOVE the possibilities!!! Oh, this is going to be so much fun. Why didn't I look into buying a quad before this??!?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
I'm with you. This is the most fun I've had since I've been in this hobby. It's just a total new realm of flying.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Any pointers on the sticks for funnels?
jlcamp.. looking forward to someone providing an answer to your question as I had the same.. anyone?
pdwire is offline Find More Posts by pdwire
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Fun? What do you do with the mQx for fun? I'm not knocking them. I have one. I had to set my dual rates very below before I could successfully fly it. Now I can fly it at high-rates, but I prefer it at somewhat lower rates.

I've inadvertently flipped it over on the ground. Flipping it in the air has been another matter. I let a good heli pilot friend of mine try to flip it indoors in a gym. He smacked it onto the gym floor pretty good (bad) twice. The second time a thruster boom broke. I replaced that. In the next flying session, the right front motor quit over a few flights. I've heard that motor is usually the first one to go. No idea why.

Anyway, I can fly my mQx, mostly tail-in, and all indoors in a gym with a vinyl floor that seems too hard for it, versus the tall soft grass that some others have. But I've failed to figure out what to do with it that's fun. It's more like a twitchy flying thing that requires complete and total pilot attention. Anyone?
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Fun? What do you do with the mQx for fun? I'm not knocking them. I have one. I had to set my dual rates very below before I could successfully fly it. Now I can fly it at high-rates, but I prefer it at somewhat lower rates.

I've inadvertently flipped it over on the ground. Flipping it in the air has been another matter. I let a good heli pilot friend of mine try to flip it indoors in a gym. He smacked it onto the gym floor pretty good (bad) twice. The second time a thruster boom broke. I replaced that. In the next flying session, the right front motor quit over a few flights. I've heard that motor is usually the first one to go. No idea why.

Anyway, I can fly my mQx, mostly tail-in, and all indoors in a gym with a vinyl floor that seems too hard for it, versus the tall soft grass that some others have. But I've failed to figure out what to do with it that's fun. It's more like a twitchy flying thing that requires complete and total pilot attention. Anyone?
I found the best way to fly these is in a very, very large open field....for banked turns and flips and rolls. However, I take the MQX canopy off and stick on my v929 and do rolls and flips all day with out impacting the ground...heh heh!! It is a blast to fly...I find my v929 doesn't like the wind as much as my MQX does...maybe my imagination.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,449 Posts
Quote:

A friend of mine does loops, rolls and just about anything else with his mQx at our indoor soccer field. He uses high rates with no expo. Just my $0.02
bc-slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:44 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
Just a different type of flying for me. Jim for a flip. Make sure #1 you are on high rates of 100% get it up in altitude. At least 25 feet. Now just jam the right stick all the way up to the right or left corner of your radio. Do it fast and it will flip. Actually pretty easy. I wasn't getting it at first because I was over thinking the controls.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,404 Posts
Thanks, jlcamp7. Someone later told me that I needed to crank up all the throws to 125%. That it would not flip at only 100%.
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
That is not correct. It will flip perfectly fine just need some altitude. People are cranking it to 125 who are trying to create extremely low flips. There are people pulling them off at eye level height. Of course they are doing more on the sticks then what I suggested. As for expo don't be afraid to turn em up. at first I wasn't flying this thing very well. Then I dumbed it down a lot. 20% throws and 20% expo. lol. Now though only after a week of getting used to its habits and orientation. I fly always at 100% with 10% expo. I'm not the most gifted pilot and am a little slow at learning sometimes so I believe you can definitely do it.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, jlcamp7. Someone later told me that I needed to crank up all the throws to 125%. That it would not flip at only 100%.
It will flip at 100% (like with an RTF stock tx), but will need more height.

This thread shows how somebody who is good does it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428309

Even if you leave the throttle at hover, an mQx at full rates will flip. But it will probably need more height.

When I started doing flips, I would start at about the level of a 70 to 75 foot tall tree to try to be safe.
It handles the wind pretty well.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
I've watched that video a few times. Makes me want throw up! I dream if flying like that. He does some funnels and I see the sticks but I'm having trouble getting into the movement of it. When I try mine just starts flopping around inthe air like a fish out of water.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,332 Posts
The key is to just do it. Hit that stick and don't let go until its fully flipped and starts evening out. Then adjust as needed.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
617 Posts
I find it very relaxing to fly the MQX. I stuck a keychain cam on it last night and took some video. It is a really cheap camera and my flying is not the best, but I did get 2 loop/rolls in. Next time I will spend a little more money on the camera.

1st Video From a $6 808 #13 Keychain Camera Attached to a Blade MQX with Velcro (1 min 46 sec)
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member