BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Now on to my question. does anyone else have booms that are at different lengths? I'm sure they're all the same length, but it's like some are pushed in further than others.
Yes. Had the same issue with mine. It isn't the booms that are different lengths, it is the internal detent in the frame that (I think) gets knocked off in a crash, allowing a boom to be pushed in farther than usual.

Two possible cures.... replace the frame (they are cheap). Or put a small piece of shrink tube on the boom at the proper place and secure it with a drop of thin CA (while it is NOT in the frame).
Also, make sure the booms are actually a tight fit. I have one that is smaller than the others and is a very loose fit and would actually vibrate out. A bit of thick CA on one face cured with accelerator and then sanded flat to the right dimension cured it.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
So should I pull out the arms and try and get them all even? Would someone that has a setup that looks even mind measuring one of your booms from exposed tip to tip to give me an idea? Thanks
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Unless more than one detent is broken, just push in each boom until it stops. You will probably find that three are at the same length one one is not. Pull the shorter one out until it matches the others, mark where the frame ends, and position a piece of shrink tube there and CA it. Done.

Note that the exact length is not really very important. What IS important is that they are all the same. And THAT is only really important when you get near full throttle.

Paul
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:52 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Thanks Paul. I'm not feeling a real stopping point on a few so it sounds like a few indents broke. Couldn't figure out why some stopped and others didn't. Now I know. Im going to pick up a new motor mount holder tomorrow at the hobby shop so I'll just pick up a frame as well. Thanks guys.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Oct 2000
916 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Paul. I'm not feeling a real stopping point on a few so it sounds like a few indents broke. Couldn't figure out why some stopped and others didn't. Now I know. Im going to pick up a new motor mount holder tomorrow at the hobby shop so I'll just pick up a frame as well. Thanks guys.
Don't forget to check the booms themselves and see if they are badly cracked from whatever broke the detents. When new, they should feel very stiff and resist twisting movements. When cracked they feel much more spongy. This will not affect the broken detent issue, but if they are spongy enough they can allow the props to vibrate around and may affect stability. They are about $12 per pair so a broken one or two is not prohibitive to replace.

Paul
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Got it sorted (even though it was still seeming to fly fine like that) and had nice enough weather to go outside. Lot's of fun! Did my first flips. Pretty cool and simple. Jam the stick to one corner and whala. I will say this thing does get tiny pretty quickly.

For those of you that have used the orange props do you think they help any in visibility? I was thinking of going orange on front in place of white. Still might try one of the red sets from ebay as well.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Got it sorted (even though it was still seeming to fly fine like that) and had nice enough weather to go outside. Lot's of fun! Did my first flips. Pretty cool and simple. Jam the stick to one corner and whala. I will say this thing does get tiny pretty quickly.

For those of you that have used the orange props do you think they help any in visibility? I was thinking of going orange on front in place of white. Still might try one of the red sets from ebay as well.
I think they help very much!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
so I let two buddies at work last week try their hands with my mQX, neither of which have ANY flying R/C experience, just R/C car experience. and well, that ended badly, lol. one broken arm, two cracked spur gears, EVERY bearing full of sand, 2 of the props on it folded up, and sand inside a motor...

but it was so funny to watch them try to pilot it, lol. I was flying my big quad around and they were like "I don't get it, it doesn't look very hard, I bet I could fly it", so I busted out the mQX and said "well here you go, try it"!
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
If you want to try it again (might not after that ). Put it on 20% throws with a little expo and it becomes extremely docile. As for all the dirt were they trying to race it on the ground like a car?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
If you want to try it again (might not after that ). Put it on 20% throws with a little expo and it becomes extremely docile. As for all the dirt were they trying to race it on the ground like a car?
well they learned the hard way it doesn't do inverted flight very well

I had the throws tuned down to about 50% and thought it would be manageable enough, and I even told them it doesn't take much stick movement for it to respond, but I guess it wasn't enough, lol. for some reason it was the hardest thing for them to remember to throttle down after crashing though

I'll let them try again, but it wont be in the dusty dirt parking lot at work
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:36 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,139 Posts
Here is mine inside...25% - INH on 0. Very docile.

MQX GG (1 min 52 sec)
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:50 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Nice and smooth. . I have a three way switch on my x9503 so lowest rate is 20% inh for flying around the small house, then 50% w/10% expo and top end 100% with 20% expo. Really gotten use to the characteristics and now can fly pretty solid. However I have to probably pick up a few more parts tomorrow after trying to tighten up my flips tonight and also trying to figure out how to get into funnels. lol. Mangled some props pretty bad. I can get the flips just sometimes dropped the throttle too much while in mid flip. Any pointers on the sticks for funnels?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
So even though I had some pretty rough landings yesterday while trying my hand at some different acrobatic maneuvers, today I was able to just bend all of the blades back in place push all of the rods back to an even point and it kept flying perfectly. I'm telling you this thing blows my mind. Didn't get to make it to the hobby shop today and was surprised that I didn't really need to. Last night I ordered another 4n1 along with a set of ladybird booms/propellers to build up one of the hybrids. This is just too much fun.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,166 Posts
Also I know Mr. Rakon from Rakon heli, so I just got the full rakon kit in as well as the hybrid kit so I will be preparing those and posting a review here in the next week or two.