HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
I know your vids are super profesional and I am sure ALOT of work goes into them. Maybe you could just give an MQX to a skilled pilot over there(Like Bert)and shoot a "NON" Official video.

I think there is a pair of quasi-official/ quasi-serious guys making videos (used to be independent but now get paid by HH), who do some pretty off-the cuff stuff. Some say they were *too* off the cuff for UM Champ and UM Beast videos they did (very little flying, but lots of kibitzing), but maybe this little guy (and the flying sno-cone, too!) sound like it's right up their alley to do some 'fun vids' with, without a lot of editing and glamor...
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad_Addict View Post
i wont read past the part in red, I think i was clear I HAVE A PROBLEM with "brushed" motors and now you want to get on the subject of over priced accesories or spares? sure why not lol. but my prior post pretty much summed up my feelings so dont get your self in a huff guy.
Hey, YOU are the one that brought up the supposedly high price, not me!

Please don't back away from them after staking out your public positions.

Ruins credibility.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I think there is a pair of quasi-official/ quasi-serious guys making videos (used to be independent but now get paid by HH), who do some pretty off-the cuff stuff. Some say they were *too* off the cuff for UM Champ and UM Beast videos they did (very little flying, but lots of kibitzing), but maybe this little guy (and the flying sno-cone, too!) sound like it's right up their alley to do some 'fun vids' with, without a lot of editing and glamor...
Yeah thats exactly what I dont wanna C. I think HH knows the hyped up "fake" vids did not work(everyone knows thats wasnt any of there new releases actually hitting the blinds). Just a person poking the blinds with something. Maybe it was the Hyper taxi hitting the blinds but someone was holding it not flying it. I would guess thats the last time we see over-hyped vids like that from HH.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:16 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
In addition, some guys out there are doing quads that are more focused on flying fun, just flying around with a normal transmitter and doing the occasional flip or loop.

In any of these segments, we see most of what's available is fairly expensive once you get all the items you need to complete. They also tend toward the kit side of completion rather than being fully assembled.

The mQX is intended to break these barriers to giving quads a try. No hassling with camera interfaces, no programming required, no assembly required, just take it out of the box, charge the battery & fly. You can get it at your local hobby shop, it has a great price point, and you can fly it with your own Spektrum transmitter.

So how does it fly? It's a blast! It turned out to be more fun than most of us in the office thought it would be when we started. You can actually get it to flip and to loop if you try hard enough.
A question on the anticipated level of difficulty of flying this quad.
My guess:
The rotors are fixed pitch and you are supplying a "little Tx", so it will be less difficult than an mCPX or other CP heli.
It will not return to hover by itself, so it will be more difficult than an mSR, coax or other 45 degree flybar heli.
It will have AS3X gyro stabilization, so probably easier (handle wind gusts, etc. better) than an old 90 degree flybar FP heli like a HoneyBee FP
and about the same level of difficulty as an mSR X?
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
edited .......
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
edited .......
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Last edited by Quad_Addict; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,801 Posts
Very pleased to see this! As an avid micro flyer and mostly heli flyer, I have been contemplating a quad for some time. But they are kind of expensive IMHO!

This looks like a great "gateway" quad which will allow me to get my feet wet at a reasonable price! Having some big expensive helis, I want to experience a quad before diving into the significantly more expensive models...

Now the question is, do I get this first or the Hyper Taxi?

Thanks HH!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:35 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,033 Posts
Quote:
no worries guy i dont have any of that lol

BTW, sorry, I did not mean to come across as such a starched shirt.

And I do understand and empathize with the concern regarding brushed motor longevity... I just think this is an 'entry level' product in a very specific niche (perhaps even a new niche created by the product itself, like the Mcpx did), so to reuse a horribly overused term " it is what it is" -- meaning it is not trying to masquerade as anything other than the interesting diversion that it probably will be.

Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Not sure why people are worrying about the brushed motors. Have you ever changed one in a micro-heli? ...
I have, but it took some time to burn them out (180 size motors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
...If you have to worry about something, then, it should be the propellers!!!! They seem proprietary and they are not protected for impact. ...
A usual way to deal with props is to find some similar size and pitch GWS prop, but for these, one will also need counter-rotating props. Actually, GWS sells some 3 bladed CW and CCW props, but they are largish and no longer so inexpensive.

One thing not to need to worry about: linear servos (and the associated cleaning, stripping and smoking)!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
ok no auto level? what about angular restrictions? can we flip it?
From an earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
So how does it fly? It's a blast! It turned out to be more fun than most of us in the office thought it would be when we started. You can actually get it to flip and to loop if you try hard enough.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
promo vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMnymd5p3AI
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
129 Posts
After I order the miniQuad then this came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMnymd5p3AI
mailtopravit is offline Find More Posts by mailtopravit
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
it was only a matter of time and it blows the AR drone out of the water IMO for kids.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Man that looks like a freakin BLAST!!! Looks to fly really well.

I'm going to say that can EASILY carry a 100mw 5.8ghz airwave module and a small 1 or 2 gram camera.

this is going to be a BLAST!

Can't wait to preorder mine! UM FPV here we come
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
Man that looks like a freakin BLAST!!! Looks to fly really well.

I'm going to say that can EASILY carry a 100mw 5.8ghz airwave module and a small 1 or 2 gram camera.

this is going to be a BLAST!

Can't wait to preorder mine! UM FPV here we come
What small fpv setup do you suggest that would work with the fat shark 5.8?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor