HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:36 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
I have crashed more than 1,000 times without a canopy, in a wide variety of ways. I am still flying without a canopy.

I would not suggest something this radical without testing it well first.

At what point do you think my experience might be statistically significant?
Wow, seriously crashed 1,000 times? And it still flys?
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,671 Posts
I bash my mQX all the time and I have yet to break something. The canopy doesn't count but it still works... it's seen better days of course. This is THE BEST $140 I've ever spent on this hobby. I sure hope that E-Flite comes out with a larger quad.

We like to do sliding landings on tables, roofs, etc., and take off again. Lots of fun.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I bash my mQX all the time and I have yet to break something. The canopy doesn't count but it still works... it's seen better days of course. This is THE BEST $140 I've ever spent on this hobby. I sure hope that E-Flite comes out with a larger quad.

We like to do sliding landings on tables, roofs, etc., and take off again. Lots of fun.
Mike,

I agree 100%!

I have almost 40 hours on mine & she's still going strong. Most of the hours are either aggressive aerobatic flying or carrying a full-weight #16 cam. I always fly with Hyp 550s. I nearly always fly to the 80% discharge point, and I often fly many back-to-back flights. I replaced the props once, but everything else is still original - including the motors. However, the LF motor is starting to get a bit weak - so I'll probably have to change it pretty soon. I can't even count the number of times she has hit something or cartwheeled across my lawn & the AstroTurf at our indoor spot. This is one extremely tough bird! The mQX is by far the best money I've ever spent in this hobby! BTW - I also enjoy doing sliding touch & goes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:00 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodhawk View Post
Now on to the recent talk about the bearing that came apart and it was just "snapped" back together. I had a upper bearing come apart and there was no popping it back together as there were only 3 tiny balls that were stuck to the motor
Oh I'm not sayin I didn't get lucky

If these bearings are seated in the holes though, they don't really need a dust shield on that other side. Open-face bearings are pretty common on these little things.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Wow, seriously crashed 1,000 times? And it still flys?
I have crashed more than 1,000 times without a canopy. I have crashed probably 10,000 times all together, I have about 1,000 flights on my 3 mQX.

I replace a lot of parts, but yes I am still flying and still having a ton of fun. 14 flights today without a canopy, crashed more than 100+ times, I was trying to see how aggressive I could fly below 5 feet high, didn't replace anything today. But performing a piro during FF flight at less than 2 feet was worth it.

YMMV
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Last edited by TomQ; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Actually, I just remembered that I have an optical tach for propellers. If I can hover over it outdoors and shoot through it, I can get a good readout. Might take one more hand than I have, though

Fine tuning the props is easy. KEEPING them fine tuned might be harder, since they are pretty soft. But it really does help with stability.

Paul
Paul,

I think maybe you and I should get together. I trash my props, I have never balanced them and have not found a reason to do so although I replace them often, about 20 sets so far. I have flown about 1,000 mQX flights and have yet to balance even one prop. I have worked for two of the Big 4 accounting firms and have wanted to test the difference between new and old props, especially their thrust.

I am near 12 Oaks Mall.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Oh I'm not sayin I didn't get lucky

If these bearings are seated in the holes though, they don't really need a dust shield on that other side. Open-face bearings are pretty common on these little things.
The v929 clone of the MQX - $45.99 at Banggood - has closed-face bearings, so if you want something a bit quieter: get a couple of sets from there for US$4.38 for 4 with free P&P. I changed the ones in my MQX when one got a bit sticky and never looked back. And they must be waterproof too because my v929 got dunked in a swimming pool and after drying everything out except the bearings, it still flies as well as ever.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,153 Posts
Quote:
This is THE BEST $140 I've ever spent on this hobby.
+1. A slope-flying buddy picked one up after seeing mine, and now a slope-flying buddy of his picked one up after seeing his...
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:57 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,512 Posts

After months of inactivity on the Un-Official Micro-Flyers Video Challenge thread, I think the time has come to create a new challenge thread, including revised rules, more challenge categories, and fresh new concepts. So I have created the new Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge thread to cater for all of the micro flying audience by adding 5 new challenge categories.

All of the challenge categories are as follows:
  • Helis (IN BLUE)
  • Helis 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)
  • Quads (IN GREEN)
  • Quads 3D (IN DARK GREEN)
  • Planes (IN RED)
  • Planes 3D (IN ORANGE)
  • FPV also including the use of "key chain cams" and other micro recording devices (IN PURPLE)

Additionally I have added a Hall of Fame where you can compete to get your name on the podium in your respective flying class for the ultimate bragging rights.

valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:17 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,209 Posts
Alright guys I have an mqx en route. It's coming with just the one stock battery. What are you guys flying? I've been looking at a 3 pack of the Hyperion 550 packs and also the turnigy 300 or 600 packs. I also noticed the flight max 400's. Just wanted to know what you guys are using.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
482 Posts
Just replaced left -fr. motor on mine(had it for a coupla months now). I' pretty sure I have a cracked boom. Still flies o.k., but will replace cause it gets wonky when I try anything a little extreme. Still using stock 500 batts.Will upgrade soon as these are getting tired.These little machines are cool,I'll probably make a move for something larger in the near future.DAMN these things! lol
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 AM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
JLCAMP7 : Alright guys I have an mqx en route. It's coming with just the one stock battery. What are you guys flying? I've been looking at a 3 pack of the Hyperion 550 packs and also the turnigy 300 or 600 packs. I also noticed the flight max 400's. Just wanted to know what you guys are using.

I'm using nanotech 600ma 35-70c packs on mine, they work great.
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,209 Posts
Thanks.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:32 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Maybe i just dont know how to do enough with this thing but i cant seem to get excited about it. Its cool and all but i definitely dont want to just fly it all the time and thinks its the best $140 i have ever spent on this hobby. Maybe if i had a larger indoor place to fly but my house is too small to fly this thing and other then normal flips i dont know what else to do with this thing that is so cool....
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Maybe i just dont know how to do enough with this thing but i cant seem to get excited about it. Its cool and all but i definitely dont want to just fly it all the time and thinks its the best $140 i have ever spent on this hobby. Maybe if i had a larger indoor place to fly but my house is too small to fly this thing and other then normal flips i dont know what else to do with this thing that is so cool....
Take it outside in a 10mph wind...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501