HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
If you go back far enough and read what the problem was: the whole point is that anyone can descend slowly and not be affected by propwash, but it takes ages to get down, after you've applied buckets of throttle to get yourself 50ft up. It's descending quickly that is the problem.

The initial instinct is to close the throttle too much, which a) reduces lift to the point where the quad is flying exactly like a brick doesn't, and b) is now falling through mucky air which - because of the reduced lift/control of the slower moving props - has a greater effect in throwing it about.

With bigger props, you have to be moving forward to get out of the mucky air and either circle down, or apply lots of pitch or roll to dive towards the ground (props still at high speed, so actually doing some work) and then aim to miss it.

The video illustrates that smaller blades are not affected by fast speed of descent, which is why it didn't wobble and I applied throttle in the middle of the last descent and went back up again. Slow descent is even less affected, just like with every other quad.

The main problems I had were trying to keep the quad in frame and also it's a lot happier in larger areas. Outside it goes like a little rocket, much faster than either my MQX or v929.

Apology accepted BTW.
You haven't proved a thing. All you've done it drop like a stone through the prop wash.

A slow, vertical descent will keep you out of the prop wash as will dropping like a stone with the throttle cut. The OP was in that middle state, where he's descending fast enough to encounter his own pro wash but not fast enough to drop right through it.

You banging the throttle up and down isn't proving your point.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I just received mine the other day, put on about 15 flights already and love it!

I attached my key camera #16 on it and it lifts the added weight fine but was acting very squirrelly in the air. I attached it to the battery cage with velcro and I tried to center it as best as I can but maybe I wasn't in the right exact center? Any ideas or tips?
Yes, exact centering will help. Hold it by diagonally opposite legs and see which way it tips and adjust accordingly. Same with the battery. Try and use something more stable than Velco. I use double-sided foam tape, as any wobble is transmitted through the looser velcro loops to the camera, which then acts like a pendulum and exaggerates it further.

You could take the case off the camera and lose about 6g and also remove the battery for another 4g and run it off the MQX battery via a cable soldered to the +/- points on the board. Don't know what size the tiny socket is on the 808 for the plug on the end of the cable though. Save a few more grams by replacing the canopy with a paper one you can make yourself out of photo paper like this: http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=418756
Brandigan is online now Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
You haven't proved a thing. All you've done it drop like a stone through the prop wash.

A slow, vertical descent will keep you out of the prop wash as will dropping like a stone with the throttle cut. The OP was in that middle state, where he's descending fast enough to encounter his own pro wash but not fast enough to drop right through it.

You banging the throttle up and down isn't proving your point.
Do you actually own an MQX?
You try and descend any faster than the OP was doing with an MQX to 'avoid' / 'fall through' prop wash and just see what happens.

Don't forget to video it; you'll only get one go.

I'll type this slowly for you.
No. noticeable. propwash. at. any. descent. speed. with. smaller. faster (than MQX). props.

Evidence 1: Opinions: 0
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Do you actually own an MQX?
You try and descend any faster than the OP was doing with an MQX to 'avoid' / 'fall through' prop wash and just see what happens.

Don't forget to video it; you'll only get one go.

I'll type this slowly for you.
No. noticeable. propwash. at. any. descent. speed. with. smaller. faster (than MQX). props.

Evidence 1: Opinions: 0
I've chopped the throttle on my mQX lots of times to drop fast without problems. It's only the medium speed vertical descents that cause mine to wobble and that's due to prop wash turbulence.

It will be the same for you small quad as well, just on a smaller scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,781 Posts
Quote:
I've chopped the throttle on my mQX lots of times to drop fast without problems.
I'd like to see video of that.
Quote:
It's only the medium speed vertical descents that cause mine to wobble and that's due to prop wash turbulence.

It will be the same for you small quad as well, just on a smaller scale.
Ok, whatever you say
Last edited by Brandigan; Aug 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:34 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
I experience prop wash on my Ladybird, just much less than my Q. the Ladybird prop wash is minor and the gyros (and accelerometers?) do a good job of correcting it, while the Q prop wash is noticeably more pronounced.

cracked booms on the Q could also cause more prop wash (and instability in general). I feel like many Q owners don't realize how wobbly their booms have become becuse there aren't really any visual signs of damage. people say "I've crashed it X amount of times with no damage," but I wonder how much torsion their booms have. I have found that even after minor crashes the booms can start exhibit more torsion without being cracked.

I remember I had 2 or 3 cracked booms. it would fly ok but very wobbly even indoors. replaced them and it flew like new. Q owners, try twisting your booms back and forth. do they twist? brand new ones have almost 0 torsion.
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,310 Posts
First Post! Hello everyone!

A couple days ago I bought a mQX and a cheap Spectrum DX5E to bind it too and have been having a blast learning to fly it around indoors at home and at the warehouse I work at, I'm still only nose out hovering and maneuvering but I'm also trying nose in hovering (which usually leads to a mild crash).

My question to you is this.

Does the mQX have the same controls as the bigger multi rotors? Will learning to fly this quad directly relate to flying a larger multi rotor?

After watching a lot of videos being done from multi rotors I want to build one and experiment with FPV and video.

Anyhow, my battery is charged and I'm itching to fly it again!

Regards
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
First Post! Hello everyone!

A couple days ago I bought a mQX and a cheap Spectrum DX5E to bind it too and have been having a blast learning to fly it around indoors at home and at the warehouse I work at, I'm still only nose out hovering and maneuvering but I'm also trying nose in hovering (which usually leads to a mild crash).

My question to you is this.

Does the mQX have the same controls as the bigger multi rotors? Will learning to fly this quad directly relate to flying a larger multi rotor?

After watching a lot of videos being done from multi rotors I want to build one and experiment with FPV and video.

Anyhow, my battery is charged and I'm itching to fly it again!

Regards
Controls carry over, yes, but each craft is going to fly just a little different, so you'll be fine tuning and learning to fly the new one as well.

PS: get yourself a few more batteries; the mQX is even more fun when you can spend an afternoon burning through 6 or 7 batteries
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:12 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,310 Posts
iamsuperbleeder, good to know the controls work the same. I also fully intend on getting more batteries as it is I'm getting over 14 minutes of hover time with my new toy, it's trimmed and hovers great sometimes almost hands off.

There was almost no wind tonight so I took it outside and it was so much fun, i'm still a little afraid to actually fly around, more of a hover over there and back kind of thing, nose in hovering is still messing with my head...

I've got some time to learn and money to earn before I can start building a bigger multi rotor. I've been reading the forums for a couple weeks and watching hours of FPV videos!

I'm not entirely new to the RC world but I am new to electric motors and speed controllers/batteries...
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I've been flying nine minutes on the stock battery and the charger tells me that I'm depleting it to about 76 percent. If I go to ten minutes flying, it reaches 80 percent discharge. At 14 minutes, you may be digging deeply enough into the battery to reduce its lifespan.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:10 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
I've been flying nine minutes on the stock battery and the charger tells me that I'm depleting it to about 76 percent. If I go to ten minutes flying, it reaches 80 percent discharge. At 14 minutes, you may be digging deeply enough into the battery to reduce its lifespan.
Not to mention building up heat and wear in the motors.

I fly for 7mins on the stock lipo and let the motors cool in between packs.

40 flights on original stock lipo, with no noticeable loss of performance.
10 flights on second stock lipo, as above.

Total 50 flights on quad, all parts original, no noticeable sign of deterioration in performance of individual motors, although one has always been a bit notchy compared to the other three.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:28 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
I think I'm going to limit my throttle endpoint to 85%...above that it gets too squirrely, and I have a habit of maxing the throttle out in a trouble situation, and of course that causes a crash if I'm down low, and a mad scramble to get back under control if I'm up high.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
I think I'm going to limit my throttle endpoint to 85%...above that it gets too squirrely, and I have a habit of maxing the throttle out in a trouble situation, and of course that causes a crash if I'm down low, and a mad scramble to get back under control if I'm up high.
While that might eliminate your instability, I don't think it addresses the root cause. I can stab the throttle at any time in any orientation and my mQX almost never becomes unstable. Although at 100% throttle the board cannot increase motor power further, it can still reduce it to correct attitude changes. If yours becomes squirrely, something sounds unbalanced.

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
While that might eliminate your instability, I don't think it addresses the root cause. I can stab the throttle at any time in any orientation and my mQX almost never becomes unstable. Although at 100% throttle the board cannot increase motor power further, it can still reduce it to correct attitude changes. If yours becomes squirrely, something sounds unbalanced.

Paul
Maybe it is...but It's less than a week old, with less than 20 flights. Something's amiss, but It'll work well enough as a band-aid fix until I need to replace all my motors.
It's not even that it gets squirrely, it's just a total lack of control period. If I give it 15% of throttle to play with it'll be fine. I'll report back with the result later on.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
but I wonder how much torsion their booms have. I have found that even after minor crashes the booms can start exhibit more torsion without being cracked.

I remember I had 2 or 3 cracked booms. it would fly ok but very wobbly even indoors. replaced them and it flew like new. Q owners, try twisting your booms back and forth. do they twist? brand new ones have almost 0 torsion.
I don't know how durable are mqx booms because i have v929

But you should try v929 replacement booms, they are cheap as dirt ($1.20) and more rugged than stock ones that arrive with quad!

I've just compared replacement ones, with those from clean BNF unit that arrived yesterday and they are defo better.

I planned to replace only cracked one but replaced all of them and they are super stiff.

And yes, even small crash can cause invisible damage to boom and it becomes loose.
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter