fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
Thanks for the quick response!! Can you direct me to a resource that specifically tells how to install this HK product into a DX6i?
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=install+led+dx6i
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,169 Posts
Hmmm.. it seems that new USB logitech mice come with a free mQX canopy!
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
something I've learned about the DX6i is that the display is dark and a nuisance to read, until you spend five dollars and buy an LED illuminating screen to place behind it. Pretty easy installation too.
I hang a keychain lantern where you put a lanyard...works ok...

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
DX6i is my favorite, especially for all of my HH products. The book says to bind in ACRO. Bind in HELI it will give you more control and dual rates for indoor/outdoor flying.
Yeah it is much better in heli mode. That is actually how you can set it up for doing acrobatics as well. You can mess around with throttle curves so that when you go to 0 throttle for doing loops you can keep a little bit of throttle input so it doesn't just fall out of the sky.

I set up my Dual Rates on my DX7 at 125% for Ail, Ele, And Rud, and it is very fast and responsive.

I took mine to my family reunion a few weeks back, put about 40% expo on Ail and Ele, then dialed the dual rates to about 75 or 80 and 20% expo on the rudder and about 80% dual rates and man it is awesome. I had all my cousins flying it around and they were loving it! They were of course crashing a bit too but it is so awesome because you can get complete newbies into the hobby with this copter and teach them on this. Even easier than a coaxial. And they can progress from there.

I have been flying RC Helis for 6 years, starting with Collective Pitch and I would tell anyone wanting to fly any kind of helicopter to start out on the Blade MQx or something similar.

It is a lot of fun to fly and a great training tool!

- Kyle
HeliNutKyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliNutKyle
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliNutKyle View Post
I took mine to my family reunion a few weeks back, put about 40% expo on Ail and Ele, then dialed the dual rates to about 75 or 80 and 20% expo on the rudder and about 80% dual rates and man it is awesome. I had all my cousins flying it around and they were loving it! They were of course crashing a bit too but it is so awesome because you can get complete newbies into the hobby with this copter and teach them on this. Even easier than a coaxial. And they can progress from there.
That in particular is why I really like my mQX. The first time I pulled out my big quad, my nephew though it was the coolest thing in the world and wanted to fly it (dangerous for the quad) or see it up close (dangerous for him) , but after getting an mQX, I'm not worried about either. I have two models slots in my DX6i that I can bind to it, one has the DR's set real low so he can fly it without running it into the ground every 5 seconds, and the other has my DR's on it; mild and extreme setups at the flip of a switch But it's a ton of fun just to see him be interested in it as much as he is. I've broken a motor mount being cocky and trying to pull off a loop too low to the ground. He's ran it nose first into the concrete getting use to the controls over and over again and has yet to do anything to it but bend a prop
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Ok guys, wondering if anyone can help me out here.

I've had my MQx long enough to get a good 30+ batteries worth of flight out of it.

I'm having issues when reducing altitude that it's very unstable, it wobbles around and once wobbling seems to reduce altitude very quickly, but then if I compensate with throttle it magnifies the wobbling effect more than it slows the decline.

It seems to be fairly stable in forward flight when reducing altitude and it seems fairly stable when hovering.

I don't recall it being like this when I first got it and i've not had any bad crashes with it, generally sticking to fairly slow controlled flight as i'm trying to learn nose in hovering (fairly successfully with this thing I might add) and a couple of rough landings rather than actual crashes.

Is it just that i'm more confident and moving it around quicker now that i'm finding this problem or has my gyro become faulty? The only thing I can think of other than that is that a couple of my rotor blades have bent a little, one caused by this wobbling and one when I bumped into the ground, must have caught it at a bad angle...but I just bent these back and it seemed ok.

Any idea's on what's wrong? It kinda spoilt my fun a bit last night as I was just starting out with fast forward flight and the stability when coming back down was atrocious.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:04 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post

I've had my MQx long enough to get a good 30+ batteries worth of flight out of it.

I'm having issues when reducing altitude that it's very unstable, it wobbles around and once wobbling seems to reduce altitude very quickly, but then if I compensate with throttle it magnifies the wobbling effect more than it slows the decline.

It seems to be fairly stable in forward flight when reducing altitude and it seems fairly stable when hovering.

I don't recall it being like this when I first got it and i've not had any bad crashes with it, generally sticking to fairly slow controlled flight as i'm trying to learn nose in hovering (fairly successfully with this thing I might add) and a couple of rough landings rather than actual crashes.

Is it just that i'm more confident and moving it around quicker now that i'm finding this problem or has my gyro become faulty? The only thing I can think of other than that is that a couple of my rotor blades have bent a little, one caused by this wobbling and one when I bumped into the ground, must have caught it at a bad angle...but I just bent these back and it seemed ok.

Any idea's on what's wrong? It kinda spoilt my fun a bit last night as I was just starting out with fast forward flight and the stability when coming back down was atrocious.
When she goes high and you try to bring her down by reducing the throttle she will wobble. Give her a little cyclic to get away from the wobbling. It is nothing wrong with her.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis View Post
When she goes high and you try to bring her down by reducing the throttle she will wobble. Give her a little cyclic to get away from the wobbling. It is nothing wrong with her.
It happens when bringing her down from a little over head height too, I'm positive this wasn't the case when she was new.

I did try to bring her down with just a touch of cyclic from maybe 20 feet, but anything above an absolute crawl and she starts to wobble and plummet, natural reaction is to increase throttle to compensate and she ends up hitting dirt halfway flipped over!!

Surely that's not normal behavior is it?
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:56 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Hi,

I will probably be getting one of these soon but I need to know, should I get replacement motors and props? How can I get replacement FETs?

Thnx, SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:
It happens when bringing her down from a little over head height too, I'm positive this wasn't the case when she was new.

I did try to bring her down with just a touch of cyclic from maybe 20 feet, but anything above an absolute crawl and she starts to wobble and plummet, natural reaction is to increase throttle to compensate and she ends up hitting dirt halfway flipped over!!

Surely that's not normal behavior is it?
Sounds perfectly normal behaviour from a new, old or any MQX, as well as the v929 Beetle clone.

You're possibly doing things more quickly than you used to as your flying confidence has grown.

As lowering the throttle too quickly means the props are not giving as much lift, and with no wings to keep it up, it flies much like a brick will.

Try a different technique, something like this, or like this in smaller stages if you have a small area to fly in:
Land, don't crash, your Micro Quadcopter - Blade MQx, v929 Beetle etc (0 min 17 sec)
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:

What is happening is you are descending down through the prop wash which is turbulent air and it is this turbulent air that is the cause of your quads instability. The solution is to descend in a forwards direction which means you are not descending through turbulent air
All quads behave like this.

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
What is happening is you are descending down through the prop wash which is turbulent air and it is this turbulent air that is the cause of your quads instability. ...
All quads behave like this.
True, but not quite all, it depends on the size of the props. My U816 (UFO canopied Walkera Ladybird clone) has such tiny props and they spin so fast, (it feels like it could almost fly in a vacuum ) and I can just shut the throttle right back and it will plummet out of the sky and I max the throttle 6ft off the ground for a cushioned landing.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
I would also consider unbalanced performance from the motors, relative to each other. What appears to me from the description is similar to a full-throttle take off where one or more motors are providing unbalanced power, so the ascent is not even. Reducing power for a descent with one motor dropping power more than another could result in this tendency.

I've found that a fast descent combined with fast forward speed results in one motor almost completely stopping, as the power necessary to keep that corner balanced is reduced by the aerodynamic effects of that corner with a barely-spinning prop. No problems ensue, and it's fascinating to watch one of three props nearly idle.