They are great fun - enjoy!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
It's really quite easy to take the booms and motor mounts apart. Just push the wiring cover towards the circuit board with two or three fingers,
One of mine is a real pain to get off. I don't think it is possible to apply as much force as is needed to get it off without breaking something else.

So, I removed the arm from the frame, placed that end on a folded up towel to protect the wires while I pull down really hard on the motor mount cover to get the thing off. I tried rubbing down the two pimples that lock it in place, but it didn't help much when I tried again, so I hope it doesn't need to come off in the near future
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavoc View Post
They are great fun - enjoy!
They really are. I just tried a flip for the first time... Pretty cool
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 08, 2012, 01:32 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,301 Posts
MQX with the bottom of a large Coke cup cut off at the bottom!

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:01 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,900 Posts
Jake, how do you know if it's bound?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
I just got one of these, managed to have a little play in the living room before I was dragged out to dinner by the wife.

I must say I've never had any interest in stuff other than helicopters but this thing made me smile from ear to ear just with a little bit of hovering.

I found it to be VERY twitchy on the cyclic, i'm just using a DX5e at the moment, does anyone know if using the channel 5 switch on that handset puts the MQX into low rate mode? or is there another way of doing it? I know I can use the low rate of my DX5e, but even with that on it seems incredibly twitchy, the thought of taking that outside as a complete newby makes me think "crash"
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
I just got one of these, managed to have a little play in the living room before I was dragged out to dinner by the wife.

I must say I've never had any interest in stuff other than helicopters but this thing made me smile from ear to ear just with a little bit of hovering.

I found it to be VERY twitchy on the cyclic, i'm just using a DX5e at the moment, does anyone know if using the channel 5 switch on that handset puts the MQX into low rate mode? or is there another way of doing it? I know I can use the low rate of my DX5e, but even with that on it seems incredibly twitchy, the thought of taking that outside as a complete newby makes me think "crash"
for me its easier to fly in forward flight than it is to hover. and even if you do crash this guy can take some abuse. like when i did a flip at about 50ft and forgot i was in dual rates so at about the 50% mark on the flip i made hard contact with the ground and after bouncing and landing on its skids it flew away like nothing happend
TheOne420 is online now Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,666 Posts
Quote:

You've got a Dual Rate switch that will toggle between 100% and 75%. If that's not enough: turn on the Expo on your DX5e.

Expo on:
1) Hold the Aileron Trim Switch to the Right when powering on the transmitter
2) Release the switch after a series of ascending tones confirm Expo is turned on.

Expo off:
1) Hold the Aileron Trim Switch to the Left when powering on the transmitter
2) Release the switch after a series of descending tones confirm Expo is turned off.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:29 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:

as far as I can tell, one wants different cyclic rates when flying indoors vs. outdoors:
Indoors (in a confined area, like a room) - low rates are good (plus as somebody mentioned, one can throw in expo). Unfortunately, the DX5e can only go down to about 70% rates (as I recall). Lower may be good indoors.

Outdoors (less confined area, possible wind) - higher rates are probably good here: you will have more room to deal with cyclic control and you may need higher rates to fight wind. On a non-Spektrum Tx, I use 125% rates, and sometimes I need all of that to quickly tilt the quad before the wind blows it away.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Aug 08, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
OK so i've just had this thing outside and ran through five batteries.

Oh My God....it's so much fun!

Thanks TheOne420, you were right, it's actually not bad at all once in motion, not as twitchy as I thought. Although still a lot nippier than my 120SR is.

I think putting the expo on actually disables the ability to use the channel 5 switch to activate the MQX's dual rates. Seems a strange behaviour and it's hard for me to tell being such a novice, but I was certainly better off with Expo off and both my dual rate switches set to lo.

Either way I had an absolute blast tonight with it. Just need to get me some LED's on as it's easy to lose orientation at a distance with it being so small.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:40 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Just need to get me some LED's on as it's easy to lose orientation at a distance with it being so small.
The following seem to help with orientation: a ping-pong ball at the front or back (pictures scattered across this thread). Getting the optional orange props (I like these) for either the front or back.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,666 Posts
Quote:
I think putting the expo on actually disables the ability to use the channel 5 switch to activate the MQX's dual rates. Seems a strange behaviour and it's hard for me to tell being such a novice, but I was certainly better off with Expo off and both my dual rate switches set to lo.
With Expo on, you still have Dual Rates available, they are just Expo Rates.

If you have a Dx4e, do NOT experiment with all the ways you can get the transmitter to go beep. There are lots of hidden settings in there and one of them is calibration. Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to do this and after several hours of every combination I could think of, I had to send mine back in to get recalibrated and reset to factory defaults (there is no reset to factory defaults option, it's done manually. And no, they wouldn't tell me how to do it myself. 'Trade Secret'. )

Here's the page from the Hyper Taxi manual that tells you things that are not in the manuals for the actual transmitters.

And when you've started to have a bit more fun with your MQX, pop over to the v929 Beetle thread.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658847
Quite a lot of it will be familiar to you...
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,666 Posts
Oh, and get some cable tie feet on it for those hard landings you'll be doing in the early days. Also useful for taking off in long grass and adding clearance for an 808 #16 or #18 Keyfob 720p HD camera.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Oh, and get some cable tie feet on it for those hard landings you'll be doing in the early days. Also useful for taking off in long grass and adding clearance for an 808 #16 or #18 Keyfob 720p HD camera.
I did that before taking it out tonight, superb idea, seen that one already on these forums.

I've also seen the ping pong ball mod to help with orientation. I'll try the lighting first, but if I still struggle I may give the pingpong ball a try (or perhaps get a long overdue eye test).

For the lighting I've got some fairly bright LED's kicking about that don't require additional resistors for this sort of voltage, I was planning on sticking a flashing red one on each rear leg facing down over and a nice bright white solid one on each front leg facing up at the spinning blades, should light it up nicely at night and I could always use a felt tip on the underside of the blades if I want them to stand out more.

So far so good and some great tips from people here
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Jake, how do you know if it's bound?
The white turns a weird blue....kind of cool. Check it out!

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131