SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMcCoy View Post
Do you guys have some kind of plane finder beeper when flying full fpv? Man this tiny thing must be hard to locate if you crash it.
You can call me "Lose 'em in the trees fred" because I'm on mQx number three which arrived just yesterday. One flew out of range and vanished in trees too heavy to search. Number two flew out of range and vanished in trees in the lot next door, and was found and retrieved from the branches a day later with a puffy battery but otherwise unharmed. Not long after, number two flew into the trees (not out of range) in the lot behind me and vanished forever, as the trees are 60 feet tall and heavily forested.

Number three now has a lostmodelalarm beeper. Custom made by Nik Dobrinski, it weighs 2.3g per his measurements and will begin to beep fifteen minutes after power is applied. The other two models he makes require a connection to a receiver, not possible with the mQx, obviously.

Eight dollars, probably the best investment I'll make, especially if I never need it. My ears aren't what they once were, so I'm also going to be building a couple of parabolic reflectors and put a microphone at the focus to use if the mQx does go astray. I have the materials to build a four foot diameter reflector, so I should get some good audio, with really good directionality as well.

Nik has a forum here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467827

and his own web site for the non-custom versions:

http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/

but you'd have to contact him for the custom model. He's told me that the purchaser can specify the number of minutes before it activates and I've found that I'd rather have something close to 11 minutes, rather than fifteen, but I can certainly live with it.

I don't get any kickbacks, but you could say that you heard about it from fred_dot_u
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Ok, a bit of an odd question-
Can anybody measure the box for the BnF mQx? I'm going on vacation, and planning on buying one of these while I'm there, so I'll have to leave room to bring it back. Hopefully the box is small...I know the mSRx (my backup option) has a miniscule box...
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
637 Posts
Aprox: L 20 1/4 X W 9 1/2 X D 5 1/2
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:29 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
I posted this in the 808 #16 thread but thought I might as well share it here too

I received my #16 V2 (Lens B) in the mail the other day. strapped it on my mQX to go have some fun before it got dark. the videos were all shot after 6:30 PM, so the lighting conditions weren't the greatest. it was fairly calm though which was good for flying!

I used iMovie to combine my 3 flights and trim them down just a tad (and add some music )... besides that I didn't edit the video.

anyways, the vid is long so feel free to skip around

comments welcome!

enjoy:

mQX + 808 #16V2 test flights & tricks (14 min 15 sec)
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:32 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Aprox: L 20 1/4 X W 9 1/2 X D 5 1/2
thanks, looks like it will fit in my luggage
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:34 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
A McDonalds clear dome cup top will give good protection, minimal weight and minimal drag in motion. Don't fly naked!

McDonalds chocolate shake lid.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:32 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
ok, not sure what i did, but I decided to try the other black blade in my bag and made sure again i didnt put things on too tight and this time it flew fine! I dont get it. shouldnt the black blades all be the same? ...
You probably already know this, but just in case: some black blades are meant to rotate CW and some are meant to rotate CCW.

I have had the experience that even after placing my mQx in the same spot for a take-off, at take-off, which rotors start earlier and which later do not always stay the same.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
That's correct. It HAS to be CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Last edited by kodak_jack; Aug 05, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
You can call me "Lose 'em in the trees fred" because I'm on mQx number three which arrived just yesterday. One flew out of range and vanished in trees too heavy to search. Number two flew out of range and vanished in trees in the lot next door, and was found and retrieved from the branches a day later with a puffy battery but otherwise unharmed. Not long after, number two flew into the trees (not out of range) in the lot behind me and vanished forever, as the trees are 60 feet tall and heavily forested.

Number three now has a lostmodelalarm beeper. Custom made by Nik Dobrinski, it weighs 2.3g per his measurements and will begin to beep fifteen minutes after power is applied. The other two models he makes require a connection to a receiver, not possible with the mQx, obviously.

Eight dollars, probably the best investment I'll make, especially if I never need it. My ears aren't what they once were, so I'm also going to be building a couple of parabolic reflectors and put a microphone at the focus to use if the mQx does go astray. I have the materials to build a four foot diameter reflector, so I should get some good audio, with really good directionality as well.

Nik has a forum here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467827

and his own web site for the non-custom versions:

http://www.lostmodelalarm.com/

but you'd have to contact him for the custom model. He's told me that the purchaser can specify the number of minutes before it activates and I've found that I'd rather have something close to 11 minutes, rather than fifteen, but I can certainly live with it.

I don't get any kickbacks, but you could say that you heard about it from fred_dot_u
What transmitter are you using? Almost any transmitter rather than the game controller POS will give you more range. If I was far enough out of range to lose control, I don't know how much I'd be able to see it anymore. It's not like it has a HUGE profile in the air.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:15 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:

If you haven't done so, check this thread for alternate bodies
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589171
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
What transmitter are you using? Almost any transmitter rather than the game controller POS will give you more range. If I was far enough out of range to lose control, I don't know how much I'd be able to see it anymore. It's not like it has a HUGE profile in the air.
The loss-of-range flights were done with the dinky RTF unit. The last loss was done with a DX6i and was lost because the winds got out of hand too quickly just as I lost orientation. The lost mQx is very likely within one hundred feet of my house, but the vegetation is so heavy that it might as well be miles away.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
The loss-of-range flights were done with the dinky RTF unit. The last loss was done with a DX6i and was lost because the winds got out of hand too quickly just as I lost orientation. The lost mQx is very likely within one hundred feet of my house, but the vegetation is so heavy that it might as well be miles away.
I have an extended grass back yard to the village park, with huge trees in the background. I usually fly after sunset with no wind. I do all of my acrobatics quite high in air with the sky in background. In certain cases when the trees get into the background I loose orientation and the excercise results in a crash. My conclusion, no wind and always sky in the background. My MQx is bought last Feb and I have not broken anything and oiled anything yet
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:49 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
A minimalist mQX. I prefer the lack of weight and wind resistance while flying without a canopy. The paint only weighs a gram and helps with orientation.
How hard is it to get the motor mounts and cages off?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
How hard is it to get the motor mounts and cages off?
It's really quite easy to take the booms and motor mounts apart. Just push the wiring cover towards the circuit board with two or three fingers, unplug the motor connector wiring socket and pull the motor mount/prop shaft holder out from the carbon boom,(it's only a pressure fit). Another motor wiring connector is on the main board for each motor, unplug them and the entire boom can be taken off the main frame, (again just a pressure fit).

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,025 Posts
Bought one, and I'm loving it so far