HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
If you use a thin tipped syringe like I do you can just about touch the 8 prop shaft bearings with the needle. You can get close to the lower bearings with the Quad sitting upright. You will find it easiest to flip the quad upside down to get an angle that will let you get close to the upper bearings. 2 small drops on each bearing is plenty adequate. I also put a small drop on the motorshaft at the brass bushing.
Just pull the prop shaft up and have full access to both bearings. It's not hard and there is an official Blade MQX video on YouTube on how to change the Prop Gear - which is basically what you need to remove to get to the bearings.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:49 PM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Many thanks. I'll have a close look.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
you probably have one or 2 motors starting to go. the reason i say 2 is because it is yawing instead of tilting to one side which makes me think it would be either both cw or both ccw motors.

i was experiencing drift and yaw like you are, it was only noticable indoors really. And after I replaced all my motors my quad flew like new again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
I was having problems like this one time and it turned out that two of the 4 screws holding the board to the frame had backed off and the board was essentially "unlevel" as far as the quad was concerned. I tightened them down so that they were snug with the frame and it went back to flying OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Over time, those brushed motors wear out, the arms develop cracks that make them less rigid, the gears get worn, bearings get dirty and plastic rotors start to flex more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Oil your bearings and make sure none of them are clamped too tight.

If you've ever squeezed up on the prop gear to realign it with the motor gear after a prang; be careful not to do it too hard, as you can put a sideways force on the bearings that they don't like too much. The outer part of the bearing can't move in the motor mount, but the prop gear can push up on the inner section of the lower one and the prop can push down on the inner section of the upper one, effectively trying to push the inner sections sideways out of the bearing cage, leading to increased friction.

I have about 1/2mm of slack if I wiggle the prop up and down in the shaft. If I squeeze hard enough, three of my props are OK with that when I free-spin them and one prop isn't, implying its bearings aren't perfect. I suspect I had that one too tight for a while before I noticed. But regular oiling (of all of them) about every 10 flights seems to have kept it (and the others) OK.
I ended up buying 4 new motors and replacing all of them. oiled the motors and cleaned/oiled the bearings. everything looks tip-top, except I noticed some of the prop shafts have tiny cracks down at the bottom.

anyways, with the 4 new motors and cleaning the bearings (they spin great freely) still nothing has changed!

I also checked the board, the 4 screws holding it to the frame are on right.

EDIT!!!

I think I might be onto something here... I've noticed recently that when my mqx is still on the ground and I give some throttle, the 2 CCW motors rev up much more than the CW motors. This has always been the case, but more recently the CCW motors have been spinning up more than usual and the CW motors have been spinning up less than usual.

I believe this is causing the right rudder movement, because when I hold it in my hand and give throttle I can feel the CCW motors wanting to turn the mqx right.

what would cause this to happen over time? is there some way to fix??

here's a quick vid I posted on youtube showing what I'm describing

mQX odd CCW motor bias before takeoff (0 min 30 sec)
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Last edited by flying toaster; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
A minimalist mQX. I prefer the lack of weight and wind resistance while flying without a canopy. The paint only weighs a gram and helps with orientation.
TomQ is offline Find More Posts by TomQ
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Very nice!
Sorry for the dumb question but what kind of paint do you use?
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:34 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomQ View Post
A minimalist mQX. I prefer the lack of weight and wind resistance while flying without a canopy. The paint only weighs a gram and helps with orientation.
A McDonalds clear dome cup top will give good protection, minimal weight and minimal drag in motion. Don't fly naked!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
120 Posts
I agree w/ Kokak Jack except I prefer a Motts applesauce tub. The flat bottom (top?) allows an 808 cam to be top mounted as close to the cg as possible.

Also, for those using soda bottle bottoms....I discovered the very bottom is REALLY thick & heavy. I cut-out a disk about 1 1/8" dia from the bottom (trying to mount the camera lower) & discovered it was almost 1/2 of the total weight of the body!
raw89 is offline Find More Posts by raw89
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:43 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
Beerassassin (you sound like a real ale man!!), I wonder whether the two blades not spinning so easily need new bearings or the spindles are very slightly bent? (If it's bad enough) It looks as though they're not as free as the other two to spin and since you have changed the motors on all four, then it can't be them.

I found how small the tolerances are with helis today on a 120sr where a simple replacement of a part that looked perfect to me made it fly much better.

Does it take many trim clicks to just compensate? Personally, I'd save the money and try to trim it out until it becomes worse.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:50 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
I ended up buying 4 new motors and replacing all of them. oiled the motors and cleaned/oiled the bearings. everything looks tip-top, except I noticed some of the prop shafts have tiny cracks down at the bottom.

anyways, with the 4 new motors and cleaning the bearings (they spin great freely) still nothing has changed!

EDIT!!!

I think I might be onto something here... I've noticed recently that when my mqx is still on the ground and I give some throttle, the 2 CCW motors rev up much more than the CW motors. This has always been the case, but more recently the CCW motors have been spinning up more than usual and the CW motors have been spinning up less than usual.

I believe this is causing the right rudder movement, because when I hold it in my hand and give throttle I can feel the CCW motors wanting to turn the mqx right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMszOOJ-Qxo
You have to get it off the ground to observe the normal behavior of the thing. It won't do things correctly if it's blocked from free motion by anything.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
I agree w/ Kokak Jack except I prefer a Motts applesauce tub. The flat bottom (top?) allows an 808 cam to be top mounted as close to the cg as possible.

Also, for those using soda bottle bottoms....I discovered the very bottom is REALLY thick & heavy. I cut-out a disk about 1 1/8" dia from the bottom (trying to mount the camera lower) & discovered it was almost 1/2 of the total weight of the body!
If you walk through Walmart or any any other similar store the plastic covers of cheap products are the best candidates. Flying naked is a risk taking for the expensive electronic board. Better be safe than sorry
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:06 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
A McDonalds clear dome cup top will give good protection, minimal weight and minimal drag in motion. Don't fly naked!
Thats what I use, very light but protective....
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:48 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post

EDIT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMszOOJ-Qxo
ok I am having very similar issues. I have only flown this thing about 10 times since I bought it new and my last flight I had a crash where it cracked one of the motor mounts where it mounts to the carbon bar. if I slide the plastic holder that snaps into place over it, it holds it just fine and I put it back up in the air and it still flew fine. so the last time i flew it was fine. now today I went to fly and it spins all rotors but one of the black ones is not spinning as fast as the other three and it keeps tilting to that rotor and wont go up level no matter how fast I punch the throttle. it I hold throttle just high enough where it doesnt lift off, about 5 seconds in, that motor will stop spinning and then a few seconds later the one across from it will stop spinning too until I cut throttle and go back up again. I have checked all screws, I have checked to make sure the bearings are not getting bound up and everything mentioned on here already and it still wont work. need help please!
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:13 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
ok, not sure what i did, but I decided to try the other black blade in my bag and made sure again i didnt put things on too tight and this time it flew fine! I dont get it. shouldnt the black blades all be the same? I dont know what changed. but at least its flying now again.
nickelbn1 is online now Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:46 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
My MQX with white/orange blades.

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
"
================================================== ==

What kind of oil do you use? Will something like "3 in 1" oil work?
A lot of people use Tri-Flow or something similar with silicone in it. Seems to have less viscosity than "3 in 1" and works great for all of my helicopters moving parts particularly the brass bushings on the little brushed motors. I apply it with the fine needle tip of a syringe. My hobby shop had a kit with syringes and various sized needle tips. Long and thin is best to get at the areas we need to lubricate (bearings and bushings). Some people suggest every 2 weeks, but I usually only lubricate my mQX once a month, it kinda depends on how hard and how often you fly it.
John in Merrill
[/QUOTE]

Use this stuff...

Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131