HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:27 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2010
114 Posts
Thanks, but my LHS swapped it over, and the replacement hovers fine.

I am hoping that someone can help me with the DX7 question.

Thanks anyway - Chris
ChrisLevo is offline Find More Posts by ChrisLevo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:51 AM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
ok folks, I'm asking for your help here because I've double checked everything and cant seem to figure this one out!!

I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times, and I particularly liked how the mqx came perfectly trimmed out of the box (requiring no trim adjustments at all to hover in one place, as I'm sure most you know).

recently my mqx has been suffering from strong right rudder movement (nose yaws right), requiring 3 trim clicks to more or less even it out. I say more or less because it constantly seems to be correcting itself moving left and right to stay 'centered' (it wants to go right, trim making it go left), which is less than ideal to me. flying outdoors I don't really notice, but indoors it's noticeable.

I've double checked what I believe to be everything... and it all "looks" good:

-motors are running ok
-all the booms are nice and crisp
-battery is put in centered
-props are not bent at all
-tried re-binding a couple times, making sure all trim was zeroed out

it all looks perfect! I've tried to keep it that way from the start, and for a long time I never needed any trim adjustments. this problem just started occurring more recently.

is there something I'm missing? please help!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:02 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerassassin View Post
ok folks, I'm asking for your help here because I've double checked everything and cant seem to figure this one out!!

I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times, and I particularly liked how the mqx came perfectly trimmed out of the box (requiring no trim adjustments at all to hover in one place, as I'm sure most you know).

recently my mqx has been suffering from strong right rudder movement (nose yaws right), requiring 3 trim clicks to more or less even it out. I say more or less because it constantly seems to be correcting itself moving left and right to stay 'centered' (it wants to go right, trim making it go left), which is less than ideal to me. flying outdoors I don't really notice, but indoors it's noticeable.

-motors are running ok

it all looks perfect! I've tried to keep it that way from the start, and for a long time I never needed any trim adjustments. this problem just started occurring more recently.

you probably have one or 2 motors starting to go. the reason i say 2 is because it is yawing instead of tilting to one side which makes me think it would be either both cw or both ccw motors.

i was experiencing drift and yaw like you are, it was only noticable indoors really. And after I replaced all my motors my quad flew like new again.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:22 AM
aka beerassassin
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
you probably have one or 2 motors starting to go. the reason i say 2 is because it is yawing instead of tilting to one side which makes me think it would be either both cw or both ccw motors.

i was experiencing drift and yaw like you are, it was only noticable indoors really. And after I replaced all my motors my quad flew like new again.
that makes sense, I was afraid it might be that lol. looks like I'll be ordering more motors

thanks though I appreciate the input. I wish there could be maintenance done on these motors!
flying toaster is offline Find More Posts by flying toaster
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:55 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
that makes sense, I was afraid it might be that lol. looks like I'll be ordering more motors

thanks though I appreciate the input. I wish there could be maintenance done on these motors!
There probably is some maintenance that could be done, the problem is finding mechanics small enough to do the work

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
Quote:

-motors are running ok

I was having problems like this one time and it turned out that two of the 4 screws holding the board to the frame had backed off and the board was essentially "unlevel" as far as the quad was concerned. I tightened them down so that they were snug with the frame and it went back to flying OK.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Over time, those brushed motors wear out, the arms develop cracks that make them less rigid, the gears get worn, bearings get dirty and plastic rotors start to flex more and more.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Over time, those brushed motors wear out, the arms develop cracks that make them less rigid, the gears get worn, bearings get dirty and plastic rotors start to flex more and more.
Yeah!
When it happens it means time to buy a V929!!!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Quote:

-motors are running ok

Oil your bearings and make sure none of them are clamped too tight.

If you've ever squeezed up on the prop gear to realign it with the motor gear after a prang; be careful not to do it too hard, as you can put a sideways force on the bearings that they don't like too much. The outer part of the bearing can't move in the motor mount, but the prop gear can push up on the inner section of the lower one and the prop can push down on the inner section of the upper one, effectively trying to push the inner sections sideways out of the bearing cage, leading to increased friction.

I have about 1/2mm of slack if I wiggle the prop up and down in the shaft. If I squeeze hard enough, three of my props are OK with that when I free-spin them and one prop isn't, implying its bearings aren't perfect. I suspect I had that one too tight for a while before I noticed. But regular oiling (of all of them) about every 10 flights seems to have kept it (and the others) OK.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:08 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
680 Posts
"I have about 1/2mm of slack if I wiggle the prop up and down in the shaft. If I squeeze hard enough, three of my props are OK with that when I free-spin them and one prop isn't, implying its bearings aren't perfect. I suspect I had that one too tight for a while before I noticed. But regular oiling (of all of them) about every 10 flights seems to have kept it (and the others) OK.[/QUOTE]"
================================================== ==

What kind of oil do you use? Will something like "3 in 1" oil work?
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
"I have about 1/2mm of slack if I wiggle the prop up and down in the shaft. If I squeeze hard enough, three of my props are OK with that when I free-spin them and one prop isn't, implying its bearings aren't perfect. I suspect I had that one too tight for a while before I noticed. But regular oiling (of all of them) about every 10 flights seems to have kept it (and the others) OK.
"
================================================== ==

What kind of oil do you use? Will something like "3 in 1" oil work?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people use Tri-Flow or something similar with silicone in it. Seems to have less viscosity than "3 in 1" and works great for all of my helicopters moving parts particularly the brass bushings on the little brushed motors. I apply it with the fine needle tip of a syringe. My hobby shop had a kit with syringes and various sized needle tips. Long and thin is best to get at the areas we need to lubricate (bearings and bushings). Some people suggest every 2 weeks, but I usually only lubricate my mQX once a month, it kinda depends on how hard and how often you fly it.
John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
I ordered some spare motors for the V929 (mQx clone) and will be trying them as substitutes when I get dying motors. The V929 motors are also 8mm and at least the pictures also show a 11 tooth pinion gear.
One tricky part about the V929 motors: their color coding scheme for rotation direction is the direct opposite of the mQx's.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
What kind of oil do you use? Will something like "3 in 1" oil work?
Yes, I use "3 in 1", but I hear good things about Tri-Flo. I just don't have any.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:50 AM
United Kingdom, Oxted
Joined Dec 2011
426 Posts
A lot of people use Tri-Flow or something similar with silicone in it. Seems to have less viscosity than "3 in 1" and works great for all of my helicopters moving parts particularly the brass bushings on the little brushed motors. I apply it with the fine needle tip of a syring.......

John, exactly where do you apply the oil? On the shaft and let it run down? I'm not sure where the bushes are.
iancraig10 is offline Find More Posts by iancraig10
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancraig10 View Post
A lot of people use Tri-Flow or something similar with silicone in it. Seems to have less viscosity than "3 in 1" and works great for all of my helicopters moving parts particularly the brass bushings on the little brushed motors. I apply it with the fine needle tip of a syring.......

John, exactly where do you apply the oil? On the shaft and let it run down? I'm not sure where the bushes are.
If you use a thin tipped syringe like I do you can just about touch the 8 prop shaft bearings with the needle. You can get close to the lower bearings with the Quad sitting upright. You will find it easiest to flip the quad upside down to get an angle that will let you get close to the upper bearings. 2 small drops on each bearing is plenty adequate. I also put a small drop on the motorshaft at the brass bushing.
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner